Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Question 3 Dudes Quilting

Hi I'm new to this forum and only just started quilting. I have been watching utube on 3 Dudes Quilting amazing so I thought I would give it a go. Maybe its abit much for my first time but I could resist. I have done my squares and cut them into 4 triangles the only thing is I have cut through the machine stitching making the stitches no longer finished off. Do I need to put the squares back onto the machine to finish off each seam. This could be time consuming if this is the case. Or will the seams be ok when I sew all the squares together. Any ideas anyone. Would appreciate any help.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 3 Dudes Quilting

Hi Ding and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately my English is not that perfect so I do not exactly understand your problem. Could you eventually post a picture to see the problem, than it would be easier to give help.

Many regards from Switzerland

3. Thanks ding thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully, the answer is no. You don't need to secure the ends of your stitching. You will have intersecting seams as you construct the quilt and that will give you the security you need so the stitches don't come out. My machine stitch length is set at 2.5 and that's the stitch length I normally use. Sometimes I will shorten the stitch length to 1.8 or 1.9 if I'm working on a paper-piecing project. It makes a stronger seam and also helps with the tearing away of the paper after the construction of the patch. I don't recommend stitching at that length for regular piecing since it makes it very difficult to remove the stitches with your seam ripper if you make a mistake and have to un-sew a seam or seams.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

5. Thanks ding thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in agreement with Rebecca... NO you do NOT have to re sew any of your seams. All those seemingly loosely sewn areas will be sewed over when you connect the triangles. Just don't pull or stretch the fabric and pull them apart before getting that sewn again.

*psssttt. this is why we "quilt" over all our tops. It keeps those 1/4 inch seams from coming apart and prolongs the life of our quilts.

7. Thanks ding, kml1764 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I see you have received most excellent advice from our lovely ladies so will just say

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	welcome.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	46437

9. Thanks ding thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Hi just like to say a very big thank you to all the ladies that replyed to my question. You have all been very helpful. I am so glad that I dont have to finish the seams, if I had to do this I was afraid it would put me off as it would be so time consuming. Once again thank you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    I'm in agreement with Rebecca... NO you do NOT have to re sew any of your seams. All those seemingly loosely sewn areas will be sewed over when you connect the triangles. Just don't pull or stretch the fabric and pull them apart before getting that sewn again.

*psssttt. this is why we "quilt" over all our tops. It keeps those 1/4 inch seams from coming apart and prolongs the life of our quilts.
    I always thought the "quilting" was to keep the batting from shifting in bewteen the layers
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"