Post Thanks / Like

Default Monday - a new week

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1d1cd6fdc5a3d7926733b40afcdb725b.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	45656

Hello Folksies!

I am sitting here with a sweatshirt on under my robe because it is very chilly here in NC once again. The past few days have been breezy and cool. Just like spring. Yays.

Today. I have much to do and it will start in a few minutes. This week I know that I will be very scarce around the forum. Mom is having some minor type surgery this week and before that has several other appts. Mom's port has a cracks in it and needs to be removed and another put in it's place. I say minor because for most it is. When you have the health concerns that she deals with, it is big deal. I have every confidence that all will be just fine, just time consuming. I will be staying at her house starting tomorrow night for the next several days, so, just saying . . . I need to get my hand sewing ready and portable. I spent the weekend getting meals ready for the week. All of sudden I felt like I had kids at home again. You know where you are busy every second? Normally I am fly by the seat of my britches kinda gal; I don't always know what I am going to cook for dinner until I think about it. Of course, that sometimes means frozen leftovers get nuked - hey - that's how I roll generally.

For those on the Spring watch, I have noticed my peonies sending their welcomed stalks up. I love peonies. The ones that I have are older than me. Let me tell you a little bit about my peonies. And while I am at it, my lilacs,
    My folks married in 1946. My mom is originally from Staten Island, NY. Tottenville to be exact. I know that our Trish(aliaslaceygreene) knows where I am speaking of. My Dad is from right here. They ran off to get married and settled back here. Once my NY grandma got over being highly p.o.'ed, she grew to love my Dad and my NC Granny. The two women had nothing in common except that they both loved their children. They would swap plant cuttings and rootings. The peonies and lilacs growing in my backyard are from my NY Grandma to my NC Granny back in 1946. How old the original mother plants were I have no idea. The property that my house is on is where my NC Granny's log cabin used to sit. Not much is left that she planted from back in the day but those peonies and lilacs live on. Each and every spring it is like I get to visit with the two women who molded me and taught me how to smile even when you are having a rotten day, week or year. My NC Granny would say, see that there growing? It doesn't get permission from anyone to show off. It just does and grows because it can. A few years ago I thought that my lilac was dying. I was beyond despair. One of my clients, who recently passed away, told me to cut it back. Really cut it back. I thought what have I got to lose? So, feeling mean and merciless I cut it way back. It is blooming in my yard right now, reminding me of my NY Grandma's love and my NC Granny's determination.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grandma Dolly lilac.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	45657

Hoping that everyone has a super special day. Just because it's Monday and I don't have to work doesn't mean that I don't have work, if you catch my drift. Be happy because you're sitting right here, right now. Go ahead and smile before you face the day and if you're already in the middle of the craziness that each day brings, smile because you left the worst behind you.

Prayers, hugs and smiles to each and every one today.

Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

2. Thanks Claire Hallman, auntynell thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monday - a new week

Good morning everyone. Blondie, sure wish I had some of your lilacs to plant here. I love them.

Hubby is off and it seems he just couldn't get out the door fast enough. Gone for a week. What do I have to do, WORK! UGH!! Sure wish I could just stay home and quilt. I did get some quilting done on Saturday. Today I am thinking I either come home and nap or clean up. I need to get my table runner done tonight too. Too many things and not enough hours.

Well I need to get ready for my day. Have a wonderful one friends.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning all. Blondie I love your lilacs.....I wish I had one here. I have always had at least one lilac bush where ever I have lived and sure miss them. I will get one planted here one day though.
    I will keep your mom in my prayers this week.

I need to do some laundry today. But because they are forecasting rain tonight I will only do one or two loads so that they get dry. We are going to Springfield tomorrow so I need to have a clean pair of jeans to wear and I only have two pair to begin with.

Hope everyone has a great day...hugs and prayers to all.
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Morning gals, Love your lilac and peonies story Blondie, what a lovely way to welcome Spring with reminders of your NY and NC Grannies. Hope all goes well with Mom's surgery.

My memory plants aren't as pretty but mean as much to me, they are hostas from the backyard of the house in Brooklyn, NY that I grew up in. I was a child in the early 1940's when I helped my grandfather plant the hostas which eventually grew to be 2 huge plants. In 1960 my mother chopped a few plants out for me to plant in my new backyard here in Jersey. At one time I had rows of hosta along our driveway but now there is one huge plant out back and a few small plants here and there. Hardly son of guns.

My knees are telling me rain is on the way so I'll be sewing today. Somehow I forgot to mail the COC I finished the other week so I need to take care of that also. Need to be presentable early today as contractor may drop by early to do some measuring for work we are going to have done. Have a good day everyone, May
    Last edited by MayinJerset; April 22nd, 2013 at 07:45 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! I battled this cold all weekend and I hope I'm over the worst of it. I'll be going to work today, there's a lot going on this week so it's not a good time to miss. Blondie, I had a lilac bush where we used to live that was planted by DH's grandmother. I love lilacs. I also had a bridal wreath (spirea) bush that bloomed out so pretty in the spring.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all. Keeping your mom in prayers and thoughts this week Blondie. I love your lilac story and also have plants like that. I have a white lilac and a teascup rose from my hubbys grandmas when she passed on we were told to come digem up if we want em. that was 25 years ago they are both going strong and make me think of her. I always plant pansies in the spring as it was my moms favorite flower. The iris's I love so much some are from my grandma they were also her favorite flower. My peony is also putting up sproats and that is a slip from my grandma also. so I love spring and it makes me remember those gone.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning,

Another Monday morning. Jeff is home from work sick today. He has such severe allergies he is nearly at the point of needing oxygen when he has an attack. He mowed our yard this weekend without wearing a mask....he knows so much better than to do this.

Blondie, I love your lilac and peony story. Isn't it nice how certain plants and flowers remind us of loved ones. My Mom's favorite flowers were petunias...Grandma Nan's were Portulaca..mine are gardenias. I love lilacs and have a huge tree at our old house. I will sneak over there and cut some flowers when it blooms.

We had a good weekend except for a furnace going out at the apartments. Fortunately we were able to find a repairman....a near miracle on a weekend during turkey season in rural Missouri!!

I hope everyone has a good Monday. Mine is shaping up to be pretty busy.

Hugs, Barb

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning!

Oh how I wish I had Blondie's exuberance in the morning. It takes about three cups of coffee to get me going!!

I had a good weekend, got some yard work done, went to lunch with my momma, brother and sister in law yesterday, had a two hour project grad meeting and put two labels on quilts. The day went too quickly! Grrr back to work today. I do have a weeks vacation in two weeks...so excited about that. It's the week of my daughters graduation, so lots if happenings so I took the week off so I wouldn't have to finagle things all week.

Building blocks club tonight at the LQS. Working in Lebanon today so I better get a move on.

Everyone have a great day!!
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mornin' everyone! Sun is shining here again today - woohoo! Love the peonies and lilacs stories. I may have to get a start of lilacs from my aunt Jan. I think hers came from my grandparents house, but I could be mistaken. My grandparents had tons of peonies in their yard and my parents had one big patch. Loved watching the ants crawl all over them when I was a kid. Had fun at the quilt show here in town this weekend - lots of inspiration and many many talented quilters! Finished up my swap projects, so off to the po I go at lunch. Blondie, I will keep your mom in my prayers this week.

Now, it is time to head to work....got to pay for this addiction some how. Lisa
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning all!

I grew up with my Dad being such an amazing flower gardener that people used to stop their cars, beep and yell out compliments to my mother who is often on the front porch people watching. Little did they know she hasn't touched dirt her whole life. It's Dad. My home is 96 yrs old. My garden shed was a Mother's day gift to the original owner in 1946 when they sold some property. I have her lilacs, peonies, Lilly of the valley and Daffodils to greet me each spring and remind me of the love that went into this home. Those Daffodils have special meaning for me. Today especially.

My Lil' Guy is back to school today and was almost in tears over it last night. He loves being home with me and when he isn't working his Dad. I keep the kids busy and he had a lot of fun with GD and Nana this past week. This summer should be a ball with him and if we can convince my daughter to let us have Kora for a few weeks his summer will be even better.

Have a great day and prayers to all!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]