Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Beautiful Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    Ok, I have baked for years. I had a bakery in our home for about 5 yrs but then realized I was going to have to make some choices as it was growing and taking way more time than I was willing to give. Going BIG was not a desire so I closed it. That was about 15 yrs ago.

    When we adopted our two youngest by the time our son was about 3 we realized there was problems much bigger than a strong will. Long story but we eventually went on what is called Specific Carb. Diet and saw great healing in our son. It was soooo much work and all the recipes I had perfected in my bakery were out the window as there are NO grains what so ever in this diet. Through trial and error, lots of error, I learned to back with nut flour and once again perfected recipes to feed my family. We followed this diet very strictly for 6 yrs. About 2 1/2 yrs ago I felt we needed to start exploring a bit more relaxed diet and see what would happen so we very slowly introduced a glutten free diet. Well I have been working since then to find cookie, cake, muffin, etc recipes and was successful. The only one that I could never find was a good bread recipe. I found one that had been recommended about 3 months ago but was a big coward. I really just didn't feel like I had the energy to put the time, energy and money into another batch only to throw it out because no one would eat it. Working with gluten free grain is so much different than working with wheat!

    Finally Sat. I told myself I simply had to give it a try and keep trying until I could get it right. To by a small loaf of GF bread it anywhere from $5.50 and up so quite spendy. I made the batch and IT WAS WONDERFUL! This morning we ate the final 3 slices and I told myself,"Time to bake again. I don't want to do this several times a week! No problem, I will just double my recipe."

    My mixer has an 8 qt. bowl so I really didn't think it would be a problem. I didn't seem like much in it on Sat. but. well. I......... had.... dough.......... rolling.... over.. the top........ You would not believe the mess. LOL I quick got my largest mixing bowl and started putting dough in it.(I still didn't have everything in the mixer bowl yet). Mixing back and forth, back and forth. Oh, it was a sit. As it looks not though I think I will have some nice bread despite my crazyness. I have 4 lg. loaves rising and 42 buns baking.

    As I was trying to catch the dough as it was rolling over the side of my mixer bowl, all I could think of was the I Love Lucy show where she cooks macaroni and it is rolling out the apartment door. LOL I remember watching it as a girl and thinking, "Oh, for goodness sake, no one would do something that dense!"
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

    God has a plan and it is a good plan.

  2. #2
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    4,789
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    LOL! I can just imagine you doing that!

    Care to share your bread dough recipe?

  3. #3
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Elverta, CA
    Posts
    1,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    When I got my stand mixer I had no idea how powerful it was. My first cake from that contraption literally exploded all over the oven. Let's just say there was a lot of laughter involved and of course - no desert. At least you get to keep your bread. I had to clean the oven. lol
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

  4. #4
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    5,932
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    Oh, I can just picture this! I do silly stuff like this all of the time. Would love to have some of your recipes. My cousin has celiac, so has to eat gluten free. Would love to surprise her with something. Lisa
    Lisa

    M*QC forum is full of the best people!

    I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

    A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

  5. #5
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Beautiful Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    Quote Originally Posted by WendyI View Post
    LOL! I can just imagine you doing that!

    Care to share your bread dough recipe?
    Wendy, this is the link.
    http://www.deliciousasitlooks.com/20...ich-bread.html
    Sat. I increased the recipe 4 times. and used the sorghum flour. I am now out of that so today I used rice and it seems to be just fine. Let me know if you make it and what you think. Are you gluten free?
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

    God has a plan and it is a good plan.

  6. #6
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Danville Virginia
    Posts
    3,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    I laughed when I read your story, I can picture it! Glad you now have all this bread and rolls from your recipe. Good thing you are an experienced baker!

  7. #7
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Beautiful Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
    Oh, I can just picture this! I do silly stuff like this all of the time. Would love to have some of your recipes. My cousin has celiac, so has to eat gluten free. Would love to surprise her with something. Lisa
    Martina, I am going to have a bit to clean up also as my loaf pans ran over. UGH! Nothing to compare with my kitchen mess before the oven though. LOL
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

    God has a plan and it is a good plan.

  8. #8
    Block Queen

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    139
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    I can understand the issue of a rising dough attack. It is just made for an I Love Lucy episode.

    Many, many years ago as a young bride I asked a friend for a bread recipe that I could make for Thanksgiving. I wanted to really impress folks and I certainly did. I still haven't lived that episode down.

    My friend gave me her recipe and plainly explained to me that I needed to cut it in half or better yet in fourths. This was the recipe that she used for functions at her church. (It was a BIG church, I might add.) Well a couple of weeks passed and it's now time to make the bread. I remember the bit about dividing the recipe but reversed the instruction. I doubled the recipe. I was savy enough to realize that I had a lot of flour and called my mother. She assured me that making bread would require more flour than just making biscuits. Bottom line: I had two sinks full of rising dough along with every pan I had. My friend (who was also my next door neighbor) came home and smelled yeast bread. She ventured to my door, explained to me what happened, and divided the mess up to share with neighbors. Everyone on the street had fresh baked rolls for Thanksgiving that year. Our whole neighborhood smelled like a bakery. I get messages, cards, and calls every year just before Thanksgiving to ask if I'm making enough bread for everyone.

  9. #9
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Beautiful Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
    Oh, I can just picture this! I do silly stuff like this all of the time. Would love to have some of your recipes. My cousin has celiac, so has to eat gluten free. Would love to surprise her with something. Lisa
    Lisa, if you want to send me a pm with your email I will send you some other recipes.
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

    God has a plan and it is a good plan.

  10. #10
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Beautiful Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I had a I Love Lucy moment!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ruth View Post
    I can understand the issue of a rising dough attack. It is just made for an I Love Lucy episode.

    Many, many years ago as a young bride I asked a friend for a bread recipe that I could make for Thanksgiving. I wanted to really impress folks and I certainly did. I still haven't lived that episode down.

    My friend gave me her recipe and plainly explained to me that I needed to cut it in half or better yet in fourths. This was the recipe that she used for functions at her church. (It was a BIG church, I might add.) Well a couple of weeks passed and it's now time to make the bread. I remember the bit about dividing the recipe but reversed the instruction. I doubled the recipe. I was savy enough to realize that I had a lot of flour and called my mother. She assured me that making bread would require more flour than just making biscuits. Bottom line: I had two sinks full of rising dough along with every pan I had. My friend (who was also my next door neighbor) came home and smelled yeast bread. She ventured to my door, explained to me what happened, and divided the mess up to share with neighbors. Everyone on the street had fresh baked rolls for Thanksgiving that year. Our whole neighborhood smelled like a bakery. I get messages, cards, and calls every year just before Thanksgiving to ask if I'm making enough bread for everyone.
    How funny! At least you have the excuse of being inexperienced. LOL
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

    God has a plan and it is a good plan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •