Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question Silicone Trivet as Iron Rest

I've been debating purchasing an Oliso iron (the same one Wendy has) but the price is really holding me back. It's a great price, if it lasts me for a few years, but it's a crappy price if it doesn't. My main attraction is the ability to lay my iron flat because Miss Boots likes to jump up on my ironing board and has come close to burning herself multiple times before I've caught her and hauled the iron away. So, if all I really need is to lay my iron flat then one of those silicone iron rests would work just as well, right?

Well, here's the problem. Price on Amazon.com: $5.47. Price on Amazon.ca: $25.54. Really Amazon? Really? *sigh* Since I can find a silicone trivet for around $5 instead, will it stand up to the heat of my iron? Or does it NEED to be an iron rest? Anyone tried this?
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

2. Thanks Bethy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Silicone Trivet as Iron Rest

I got my silicone iron rest at Walmart . Do you have a Walmart? Or maybe they can ship to you? I use mine all the time. I don't know about the silicone trivets. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Household-...ad/15387133#rr

i bet if you checked in the laundry sections of local stores you would probably find one locally.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auntpiggylpn View Post
    I got my silicone iron rest at Walmart . Do you have a Walmart? Or maybe they can ship to you? I use mine all the time. I don't know about the silicone trivets. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Household-...ad/15387133#rr

i bet if you checked in the laundry sections of local stores you would probably find one locally.
    We do have a Walmart, but they don't carry half of the things you guys get in the US. I'm totally jealous lol I'm going to have a peek there the next time I go, but I'm not getting my hopes up that they'll carry it. I checked Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Home Depot, and Sears and none of those stores carry them at all, not even for 5x the price like Amazon lol But I will take a peek at Walmart when I go out, their online store leaves a lot to be desired.
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How thick is a silicone iron rest? Would it be cheaper for you to order one and have it sent to someone in the US that will mail it to you without all the extra packaging and mark it as a gift?

Ha, I just looked on Amazon and found one for $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Burn-...cone+iron+rest

Oh wait, that's one of the places that charges $5.99 for shipping no matter if it only costs $1.00 to send.
    Last edited by K. McEuen; April 14th, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Question, if you let the iron rest flat, does it not turn off automatically any longer - safety issues and all that?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    How thick is a silicone iron rest? Would it be cheaper for you to order one and have it sent to someone in the US that will mail it to you without all the extra packaging and mark it as a gift?

Ha, I just looked on Amazon and found one for $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Burn-...cone+iron+rest

Oh wait, that's one of the places that charges $5.99 for shipping no matter if it only costs $1.00 to send.
    If I don't find one locally, I'm sending one to my "border service" and she can ship it with the rest of my stuff I should just move to the US, the prices up here are CRAZY!
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmt148 View Post
    Question, if you let the iron rest flat, does it not turn off automatically any longer - safety issues and all that?
    I honestly have NO idea. My iron doesn't have any auto-shut off (it's a $10 jobbie from Walmart) so I have no idea how the auto shut off thingy works. But I also have a lamp hooked up to the same power bar (saw that idea from one of the smarties on here, don't remember who) so I know if that lamp is on then my iron is also on so I never walk away and leave it on by mistake
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

10. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just broke down and bought the Oliso (I'm making payments ) when it was on sale at CT. I'd been trying to press everything with a small, lightweight travel iron for years now, and I needed the proper tool for the job.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was in Minnesota a few years ago and ran into a Hancock's - they had the silicone trivets for sale at $0.25 HONEST! I bought two. I think I know where the second one is and would be happy to send it to you. Let me look tomorrow and I'll see if I can locate it (you know I have things packed trying to scrunch, right?). You may also want to look and see if you can find something local like a silicone pizza tray, etc., and cut a piece. I have a couple small pieces that I bought at Jo-Ann's - I think they were for use with a glue gun - at least that's what I do with mine. They would also work for an iron - though the shape is square and may not work well.

Let me check and I'll let you know manana if I find the second one - I sure don't use it.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."