Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Scalloped edge

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scalloped edge

Hello ladies...I need some help trying to make scalloped edges on a table runner. I'm actually making one of the Xmas table runner in Jenny's project tutorial. Is there a pattern for this kind of edge or any good tips on how to lay it out evenly? Thank you!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scalloped edge

J !
    I don't know if you have the scalloped ruler/template or not, but there is a video for it on youtube.
    Even if you don't have it, Jenny talks a bit about how she did them before the ruler came out and that may help you.
    I haven't tried one, but love love love the look of them.
    Here's the link to the video tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri...10/rIHhTxTpMQ0

Lola

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Scalloped edge

I haven't made a scalloped edge yet but I will get the ruler and do it someday. Jenny's tutorial is wonderful on this edge and she takes the fear out of trying it. It is so pretty and just makes the quilt special. Good luck! Hugs, Jan L

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the help. I didn't even think about trying to find a scallop ruler. You gals are awesome! Oh yeah, one more question...when Jenny says 'bias' binding, what exactly makes it a bias binding? I looked like she was just using a 2.5" strip of regular fabric folded in half.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bias binding is cut diagonally across the grain of your fabric. This gives it the ability to stretch and conform to curves. there are many ways to cut it, including one that makes a continuous strip. I think someone has posted a link in another thread.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the "continuous strip" method for making bias binding. I did not like it. I ended up with many more seams than the method of cutting the strips on the bias and then joining them.
    The seams from joining the pieces into a tube were not tapered and were hard to work with, especially when they bumped up to the other seams. Thankfully I was only making an apron and not a quilted piece that I had spent a lot of time on.
    The next time I need bias binding I am going for the cut, then sew method.
    If you are looking at buying the scallop ruler, make sure that it hasn't been scrunched when it was packaged in the shrink wrap. My first one had the inner points jammed up and over the next row. Apparently when they ran it through the heated section of the shrink wrapper, it was enough to warm the ruler, the wrap shrank and forced the ruler out of alignment, and then when it cooled it was stuck in that position. I didn't notice it until I tried to use the smaller scallop size. I have seen the newer ones are packaged on a piece of cardboard to prevent this. Just a heads up if you find one on a super clearance sale price!
    Good luck on your scalloped border I am sure it will be terrific!