Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally, Eleanor Burns Day #3 (pic heavy)

Finally, on Day #3 of my Eleanor Burns seminar, we got to work with Eleanor! Yes, she does have a very unusual voice pattern. Yes, she does talk to you like she is teaching a preschool class (she was a special Ed teacher, and some of the people were at the "preschool" level of following directions!) But it was a fun day, and productive, and I am very excited about one of the blocks I made, one made with HST witih PERFECT POINTS! I was so excited by the results, I had to go hug Eleanor! It's all in the technique!

Several downers from the day, the lady across from me forgot to wear her hearing aid, so she was constantly saying, What did she say? What do we do next? Tell me, why would you come to a seminar without your hearing aid? I don't get that. Also, in all of the classes, we had to learn a new machine. Luckily, the ones we used for Eleanor's classes were simpler than the ones we used for the first day. Then we did a lot of fusing, and had 6 irons for 35 people to share. That wasn't so fun. But, we did learn things!

My most exciting block to create was her version of "Broken Dishes", which was a bunch of half square triangles, and I managed to put it together with PERFECT POINTS--never did that before! Also, Eleanor uses her wooden iron to iron the seams while constructing. It certainly has its advantages, as the fabric on bias doesn't get stretched out by the iron. I'll have to try this more often.

I didn't buy any new equipment, except for a couple of rulers, some pins that I managed to throw down on the floor more than once, but no sewing machines! That is still on the table, but I have other ideas besides a domestic embroidery machine, may get a multihead professional embroidery only machine, as I have adequate wonderful piecing machines. Almost the same price, why not go pro?

Eleanor also has a beautiful line of fabric called Ellie Ann, named after her granddaughter. It is lovely, if you get a chance to see it or buy some, you won't be disappointed. I bought some charms, some yardage, and have a jelly roll on order. It's yummy pretty!

So, I had a good, exhausting time, have three quilt tops to finish, with some beautiful fabrics. Learned new techniques, and all in all, it was worth while. Don't know how I could manage to sew with this intensity for more than three days, I was draggin' my wagon by day 3! When I sew at home, I take short "back breaks", sit in my easy chair, maybe nod off for a few minutes, to relax. Not able to do that here! If you left for a minute to use the ladies room, you missed something vital! So, let's just say it was intense! But it was a good experience!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eleanor Burns 2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	44579
    Eleanor Signing my book

Name:	Eleanor Burns 4.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	44581
    So proud of my 99.9% perfect points!

Name:	Eleanor Burns 3.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	44580
    Our blocks that we created in class, comes from her new book "Quilts From El's Kitchen", all retro patterns. We will eventually get this book, signed by Eleanor, but it was not yet finished at the publisher, so we got the shortened version covering just this wall hanging.

Name:	Eleanor Burns 1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	44578
    Eleanor showing a variation of the apron used in a wall hanging, just darling! She has an assistant Sue, who helps her with many things, and Sue made this. Eleanor has a video camera and projector to show the group her actions as she works, Sue was the camera person. That sure was a bonus to the class members, to see up close and person what she was doing. Great technique for teaching.

Name:	Eleanor Burns 5.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	44582
    Asked her to sign using my MSQC forum name, Jean Sewing Machine!

Name:	Ellie Ann fabric.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	44583
    Ellie Ann Fabric collection--veery pretty and feminine!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; April 6th, 2013 at 10:52 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Finally, Eleanor Burns Day #3 (pic heavy)

I envy you! Would love to take a quilting class with Eleanor Burns.
    greetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful experience. You will have to take extra breaks for a few days to recover.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

She makes my teeth hurt (because she is so sweet) but she is very talented and I would love to take a class with her. Your blocks look fantastic!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looks wonderful. Love the fabric. So happy you had a good time
    Patrice

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on those points. So glad you has such a good time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh how exciting!!! I love that she signed your forum name
    Finished is way better than perfect!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Now I know a lot more about Eleanor and can maybe (just maybe) get used to her voice. I understand her a lot more from your story. Looks as if she's lost a hunk of weight from what I've seen on her videos.

When I get next to someone who cannot hear, concentrate, or pay attention, I find some excuse to get up and MOVE!

Love your blocks - sounds like so much fun!!!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I envy you too, yes her voice can be annoying but to learn from someone so talented, I think I could forgive her the sound of her voice. Your blocks look wonderful and will be waiting for you to post the finished projects here. I have 3 embroidery machines and I use my Brother PR 650 more than any of them, so nice to set up and not have to constantly change threads.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a nice experience for you Jean. My first quilt was an Eleanor Burns quilt and I think her methods are great. Your points look perfect to me and it's such a cute pattern. I've always used Eleanor's method to get the points and I hope you will share her tips with our forum for those who have difficulty. The new fabric line is really beautiful.......so soft and romantic! Hope MSQ gets it back in stock soon.

Glad you had great time and thanks for sharing.