Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suzy Que - Almond Biscotti

I promised Suzy this recipe and kept forgetting. Then decided everyone could enjoy. I must say that these are the best biscotti I've had - far better than those I've bought at the grocery anyway.

ALMOND BISCOTTI - Makes about 2 dozen

1 cup blanched whole almonds
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup granulated white sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and toast almonds for 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned and flagrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.

Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs and extracts together.
    In the bowl of your electric mixer combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until blended. Gradually add the egg mixture and beat until a dough forms, adding almonds about halfway through. On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a log about 14 inches long and 3-4 inches wide. This will spread during baking. Transfer the log to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
    Transfer log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife,cut log into slices 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal. Arrange evenly on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake another 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven, let cool. Store in an airtight container.

May substitute hazelnuts or walnuts for the almonds. If desired, add 1 tablespoon of orange or lemon zest to the egg mixture.

To dip in chocolate, melt 3 ounces of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate and 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening or butter in a small metal bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth. Dip one end of each biscotti in the melted chocolate and let dry on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suzy Que - Almond Biscotti

Sandy that sounds heavenly! Gizmomichele gave us a recpe for pumpkin bundt cake Christmas and I just baked it and it was great and so easy peasy! Thanks for sharing!!
    Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much, Sandy. Will make as soon as I can! You're a peach!
    Suzy Que

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sandy...we love biscotti! There isn't any shortening or oil? Wow , I can't wait to try it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    Thanks Sandy...we love biscotti! There isn't any shortening or oil? Wow , I can't wait to try it.
    Absolutely no shortening, butter, oil . . . nothing of the sort. I was surprised and that is why I tried this recipe. All others I had seen had a minimum of 1 cup shortening/oil and I so wanted to eliminate that.

Believe me when I tell you these are the best I have ever eaten. The added flavor of the almond extract really sets them apart. I'm going to try some other nuts today or tomorrow and will try some using dried cranberries.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."