Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toggpine, what's the story here?

It depends on how well the new micro dairy gets on if I have to go back to a "regular" job or not.
    Saw this in the weekly giveaway, first, what is a micro dairy, and second, you run one? How cool is that!! What's the scoop here, this sounds really cool?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Toggpine, what's the story here?

Yes, I'd love to know too!! Fill us in Lady!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Whew! I though I had done something wrong! I can handle this! :mrgreen:
    I live on about 2.5 acres on the Key Peninsula in western Washington State. I have a herd of about 20 dairy goats of assorted ages & breeds, and my husband has a flock of about 20 hens. We are in the process of building a barn and finally *big sigh* a decent milk room. We are working with the local dairy inspector so I can have our facility certified as a Grade A dairy. This means that I can sell raw milk. In this state you MUST have this license to sell any milk legally. Since one of the neighbors has already jumped through these hoops, and more, to get her milk license, a pasteurizer, and is currently making and selling artisan cheeses, I have a ready made market for some of the milk.
    A micro dairy is basically a homestead size dairy with a small number of cows or goats. Most of the milk produced will be sold locally either at a farmers' market, or directly from the farm. We are just hoping that the goats will pay for themselves. The chickens are pretty close to that goal and we only sell eggs to friends and family.
    By the way, goat dairy products do not have to taste as pungent as some people believe. I actually can't stand to eat or drink the stuff that tastes that way, even though some people love it. That milk goes to the chickens or the calf if we happen to have one headed for the freezer.

How was that? Did I satisfy your curiosity?
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! That's pretty impressive. I'm sorry for being so nosy, I just couldn't imagine what a micro dairy was. I thought maybe like miniature horses, they also had cows that small? I'm glad I asked before my imagination got away from me

What a fun business venture for you and your husband though! Good luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would much rather that you ask than just wonder! They do have some "Mini" cows. but I prefer the goats. They are still much lighter when they step on your toes!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

wow!! now that's impressive....I love goat cheese...we have a local farmer who sells it at the farmer's market here...yummo!!!
    Michele

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh, so cool!! Thanks for sharing all that with us. Good luck in your adventure!