Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batting question

Hey All-I'm researching batting options and am needing your real-life experience and input.

I'm making a scrappy patchwork quilt for a darling 3 year old-and her mom has requested it to be 60x72 - which is HUGE for my amateur/standard sized sewing machine skills. The quilt will be used at the end of her bed.

Her mom specifically requested that the quilt be "heavy and warm" and not just slide off the bed. For other (smaller) quilts, I've used warm and natural, and really like it-but I'm afraid that it won't give the desired effect that has been requested.
    I've thought of trying to double the batting, but I'm concerned that will make it too heavy.
    What do you guys recommend?
    Will the larger size of the quilt add to the weight/warmth of the quilt without needing to do anything different for the batting?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Batting question

Warm and Natural is my favorite and it won't slide off the bed
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Warm & Natural/White isn't a "heavy" batting but is what I use. If I want a warmer quilt with the W&N batting I will use flannel to back it. You can double it up, but for your area of the country I think it would be too warm. Wool batting would be warmer and probably a bit heavier as well, but can't really tell you much about it as I have never used it.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

4. Thanks GaGirl thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input! The backing is already picked out/purchased by the mom to match the front - would doing a layer of W&N, plus a layer of flannel work better than 2 layers of batting?

As a side note-this quilt will end up in south GA, which is MUCH warmer than TN! I'm wondering if I'm just over-thinking the need to add additional batting for weight/warmth....Quilting has TOO many options for my brain to process!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Warm and Natural will give the quilt a flatter look but it is true to its name "warm and natural." I also use it along with Warm and White, and recently I added Warm Blend to the mix. (Cotton/Poly blend that looks and feels like W&N). I have not made one for myself so I can't say how it behaves but it needles well.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't bother with adding a layer of flannel. You should be fine with just the batting in the middle.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

8. Thanks kml1764 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another option to make it heavy would be to use denim for the back and tie the quilt. If you have heavy denim then you might not even need batting and it would still be warm. Or add a layer of flannel in the middle.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think you need to add anything beyond the warm and natural...I have a quilt I made with it on my bed and it never slides off!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't add anything other than explaining all the above to her and getting a better idea of what she means by "heavy". Cotton is not a slippery fabric so I don't think it will slide off like some of the cheaper comforters that are commercially available.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all-you've relieved my anxiety! I think I'll go with 1 layer of warm and natural-and hope for the best! Thanks again!