Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Janome Horizon 12000 or Janome MC 11000SE Acufil quilting, any feedback greatly appreciated

Hi, I'm the proud owner of a Janome MC 7500, which I purchased 24 years ago, and it's still going strong, however, I have a huge crush on the Janome Horizon MC 12000 and the Janome MC 11000SE. I've never made a quilt before and I'm dying to have a go, but the thought of free motion machine quilting puts me off a bit, and I don't really want to send my work to someone to quilt it for me. I quite like the idea of the Acufil feature on the Janome machines and I was wondering has anyone used it? Would I be able to quilt a large queen size quilt on the either of these machines? I realise the Horizon 12000 would need the addition of the Acufil kit, I just wondered if a large quilt would be too tricky? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Karen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Janome Horizon 12000 or Janome MC 11000SE Acufil quilting, any feedback greatly appreciated

I have quilted queen quilts on my Janome Horizon 7700 which I think has the same size opening as the 12000. I don't know about the 11000SE. I think the 8200 and 8900 are similar, no embroidery. I don't know what Acufil is, mine has Accufeed, and it is a wonderful feature for quilting.

3. Thanks Flosmum thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Janome Horizon 12000 or Janome MC 11000SE Acufil quilting, any feedback greatly appreciated

I think that Csarina has owned both of those machines. Maybe you could send her a PM and ask.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

5. Thanks Flosmum thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm a newbie at quilting, but as I read your note, I thought of the fun I'm having learning to "free motion machine" designs. I purchased Eva A Larkin's book FREE-MOTION QUILTING MADE EASY and have had a great time learning. It was no time at all when I was trying some of the easiest and simplest designs on my quilts...and they looked good. She teaches me to practice on little squares - which I keep a pile of in a drawer nearby. I try to practice each week.

I loved this book so much, I decided to purchase another of her books - EASY AND FUN FREE-MOTION QUILTING. The designs in this book are absolutely gorgeous. Both books show how easy it is to do big quilts because you do a little corner at a time.
    The best part...you can do them on the simplest machines and all it takes is little squares to practice on and the time to learn. I think I bought them at JoAnn's with a 50% off coupon. I'm sure you'd fine them even on Amazon.

So, I don't know about all the Acufil feature or the either machines you mentioned. I have a simple Janome (3160QDC) and in this economy, I think that is what I'll stick to for awhile. I love the Horizon (not sure of the which # but the red one), but realized that quilting can be done simply and with my machine.

Hope others can help you with the machine info, but I think you'd love the books and the easy techniques she teaches.
    Debi

7. Thanks Flosmum thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for taking the time to respond Jean. From the information I've gathered, when looking at the Janome website, I think Acufil is basically a programmable quilting feature? I guess the best thing for me to do would be to speak to a dealer, but sometimes it's difficult to get unbiased advice from them, so maybe it would be better to visit a store which sells several different brands of machine??

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Debi,

Thank you so much for your response to my post. You've really made me realise that I'd be missing out on all the fun of learning a new skill if I relied on such a sophisticated machine to do all the hard work for me. Plus I can't really justify spending sooooo much money at the moment, especially when I could be investing some of it in a fabric stash instead!!!

I will definitely have a look at the books you've mentioned and practice on some squares cut out from old sheeting fabric.

Good luck with your projects.
    Karen

10. Thanks debi weaver thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Oh...you're welcome, Karen.
    I wanted the Horizon when I purchased my Janome, but as the sales lady talked, I realized that all the stitches offered would probably never be used. She didn't know that she talked me out of spending all that money!

You'll love the books, believe me! I enjoy just doing her exercises, knowing they are making me stronger and better at controlling my stitches. I cannot believe the awesome designs she makes with 8 simple shapes! She also has taught me to think small - and not be overwhelmed by the size of the quilt. This technique is so much easier than all the rolling and clipping others tried to teach me.

I'm a novice at all of this, but when I found these books, I wished I had found them a lot sooner. I think they would have made me a better seamstress all around.

Happy practicing!
    Debi

12. Thanks Flosmum thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debi weaver View Post
    Hi, I'm a newbie at quilting, but as I read your note, I thought of the fun I'm having learning to "free motion machine" designs. I purchased Eva A Larkin's book FREE-MOTION QUILTING MADE EASY and have had a great time learning. It was no time at all when I was trying some of the easiest and simplest designs on my quilts...and they looked good. She teaches me to practice on little squares - which I keep a pile of in a drawer nearby. I try to practice each week. Debi

Thanks Debi for recommending this book. I bought a copy yesterday.
    Maria