Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hello - Complete Novice here!!!

Hello Quilting Gurus...
    I am a newbie to the forum and to quilting... in fact I haven't even started quilting yet - but am getting VERY excited to start!!
    My mum has been encouraging me to have a go for ages now - but I've always been tooooo scared!! So I had a look at the Missouri Star You Tube tutorials and have just become more and more excited to have a go!!!

I have ordered some pretty fabric from a local store and am eagerly awaiting its arrival so that I can have a go over the Easter holidays ( I'm a teacher! ) ... so that's where I am on the quilting ability scale = nowhere!!!!

But thought I'd join the forum so I could pick all of your lovely experienced and not so experienced brains ... to start with I'm going to have a look around at what type of things I need to have in mind before I get going. I'm one of those who researches and prepares lots before any new venture!!!!!!!

Right now I have a sewing machine - muchos thread (because my mums a sewing guru!!!!) and eagerness!!!

Anyone want to tell me what else I need I'm ALL ears!!!!!!

Ciao for now.... X

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello - Complete Novice here!!!

Welcome to the world of addicting quilting. I would recommend as surely others will, a rotary cutter and mat. Also an ironing surface and iron. You'll need some rulers, but can get them as you go for the projects you are working on. Lot's of similar threads on this forum answering this same question, just look around. You are in for alot of fun. Don't be scared. My mantra is that nothing is unfixable, just makes your work more personal and unique. If you are scared of making mistakes, you won't have fun doing it.

3. Thanks MissyRS thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy from San Antonio, TX. Build a stash of fabric by getting into swaps and exchanges. Go to "groups" and see what interests you. Groups is how I've networked with others and learned new skills at the same time. BTW I'm a retired HS English teacher and now I do what I love--quilt!
    --Only God can make the perfect quilt, all others he left for me.

5. Thanks MissyRS thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ladies... thanks for the welcome!!! And the ideas!!
    Yeah - I'm thinking cutter, board and iron are my new top 3!!!!! I will probably opt for a clear ruler to help me out and just go from there!!!
    I teach high school Religious Studies MrsT2u.. I totally love it!!! I'm in a pretty regular school - but brill - the kids are ace - and I hope I get to stay for a good long while!!!
    Ciao for now!! x

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

MissyRS...Hello! Welcome to the forum! You can learn a lot here and the added support is wonderful; it will encourage you that much more!
    what helped me when I started was to take a class at a quilt shop that does a monthly block or get in with a quilter's guild and observe! Helpful advice thus far about your tools and building your fabric. I have a weakness for fabric that is on sale, it gets me every time! Good luck!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

8. Thanks MissyRS thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi from Virginia. I am only one quilt top ahead of you so I'd say we're pretty even. Today is sandwich day (yikes) and tomorrow is quilting day (really yikes). You will find that everyone here is helpful and kind....no question too dumb (and I've asked a few). I have reviewed dozens and dozens of posts and tutorials here at M*QC as I set up my quilting space and purchased supplies so I know, if you do the same, you will find great information to help you. (If I haven't said it before, thanks everyone who has helped me as I entered the Wonderful World of Quilting). Just letting you know though, IT IS ADDICTING....not just the process of quilting, but also this website! Welcome and good luck with your project.
    Judy

10. Thanks MissyRS thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Illinois. I believe that new quilters have the advantage of Youtube, forums like this, local classes at quilt shops and many means of learning the craft. Even some of the stores like JoAnns and Hancock fabrics have beginning classes, which are quite reasonable in price. In addition to basic tools, you may want to consider getting a 1/4" foot for your sewing machine so you can get accurate seams. Good luck.

12. Thanks MissyRS thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome MissyRS from NC. You will enjoy it here as there are so many talented and friendly people. I am pretty new so I'm sure others will jump in and give you what you need. My recommendation is like the above, a good rotary cutter, mat, ironing surface, iron, at least one ruler to start (I started with the omnigrid clear 6 1/2" x 24"), lots of thread, your fabric and the batting you will use in your quilt. I find it easier to have lots of bobbins as well so I don't have to stop and wind bobbins when its empty I keep adding to my ruler collection as I decide on the next quilt to make or if I see one that I think will be useful for me. My issue is that I've turned into a fabric addict But it's so much fun. Enjoy and welcome.
    Thank you,

Ginny K

14. Thanks MissyRS thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Pennsylvania.

Kathy

16. Thanks MissyRS thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the lovely welcome!!!! I'm so so excited to get going on all things Quilt related!!! My mum and I have decided to being my Easter holiday with a trip down the way to a quilting and embroidery shop in Darly Dale - so I'm tres eager to get in there and have a look. I intend to buy myself exactly what you have all recommended!!! Rotary cutter, mat, clear ruler, ruler square. And the hunt is on for my travel iron - where the heck I put it?????? Probably in a chest I really don't want to go hunting through!!!

So - I'll make sure to let you all know how I'm doing... and am going to hunt about some more in the forum for hints and tips!!
    Blessings to you all!! I'm very thankful for you lovely ones!!!
    X