Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

You only counted the 10" drop on one side of the bed. You'd need 96 x 100 for a king.

Quote Originally Posted by Mchelem View Post
    1 jelly roll is approximately 1680 inches of fabric x 2 1/2 inches. (40 strips of 42 inch long fabric)
    You would need to measure the bed with the overhangs and see how big it is.

Based off a king sized mattress size of 76 x 80 and adding in a 10" drop, that would make your quilt size 86 x 100 (8600 inches)

If my math is correct, you would need 6 jelly rolls. (8600/1680= 5.11). If you got a jelly roll with 42 strips, you would only need 5 jelly rolls (8600/1764=4.87)

If your mattress is a different size or you wanted a longer overhang, you would adjust accordingly.

2. Thanks Barbara P thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    You only counted the 10" drop on one side of the bed. You'd need 96 x 100 for a king.
    Actually, I did count it on both sides. 76 long and 80 wide. 76+10=86, 80+10+10=100. 86x100. You don't need the 10" drop twice for the length, since it isn't going to hang off the top of the mattress, just the foot.

And since I don't know her mattress side, it was just numbers based off a king sized mattress measurement I found on the www
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

4. Thanks Barbara P thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: ISO HELP WITH JELLY ROLL QUILT FOR KING SIZE BED

Thanks to all that have responded. I have A LOT to think about. When we get back from our Spring Break road trip I will measure the bed and get exact measurements. The bed is a Tempurpedic and also raises and lowers at the foot and head. This makes it a little larger than most - i think. I apologize for not sending the measurements in the original post. You ladies and your work are really amazing. Again thanks to all. I have a lot to learn!
    Thanks so much!
    .Blessings, Barbara