Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Stitch Length Do You Use?

What stitch length do you use when piecing your blocks? Same for sewing blocks together? Same for binding?

2. Thanks WendyI thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What Stitch Length Do You Use?

Mine is set to 2.2 (whatever that means!)...and I've often wondered if it should be smaller? Thanks for posting this!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is factory set at 2.5 and I usually leave it there except when paper piecing and I put it at about 1.9 - that is so the paper will pull off and leave the sitches intact.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is also factory set to 2.5 - which i used when making Jenny's wacky web quilt - when pulling paper - MOST stitches are pulling out! So much work and probably never be able to put it together!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard you should use 1.8 when you are making your patches because that will help keep the seam from coming apart at the edges before you can sew them together. I usually keep it at the factory setting of 2.5 though, because 1.) I don't think to do it, and 2.) It is so hard to rip, and I do that a lot.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I piece at 2.5 but if I am doing stitch in the ditch or any straight line quilting on my sewing machine I move it to 3.2

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2.0 length
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    I piece at 2.5 but if I am doing stitch in the ditch or any straight line quilting on my sewing machine I move it to 3.2
    Same as Roxanne and I use about 1.8 for paper piecing.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I usually keep mine at the factory setting of 2.5.
    Lori

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

For my regular piecing I usually just use my factory 2.5, paper piecing a 1.8 or 1.9. I end up having to rip stitches too, otherwise i'd use a shorter stitch. For my quilting I use a walking foot and usually just do about a 3.5- it looks better, sits nicer with my fabrics and as many times as I've abused my quilts- mostly baby quilts so they get machine washed a LOT and tossed here and there and basically treated every way but the proper way to treat a quilt, rofl. Sometimes though if my fabric is being all funky and wants to unravel on me- sometimes some of the "mystery fabric" i pick up at second hand stores or am given- and i'll either use a shorter stitch and/ or use my serger on all the sides. I really like serging everything before i make things like clothes, or if i'm piecing a quilt with wool or anything else that hates being controlled so to speak.

It's really great though to get to see what everyone else uses, i've often wondered if i was using a "correct" length. My mom taught me to sew when i was 10 but other than sewing quilt tops for other people she didn't exactly quilt- or do zippers, lol. So all of my quilting is pretty much self taught through trial and error and research.

5" small floral charm swap closes on the 10th as does the 2 1/2 pastel pink strip group. Come join us in the fun and adventure!!!

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=65
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=66