Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tear or Cut Fabric From Bolt

One big problem with squaring up using the selvedge edge and a square is that often the fabric is actually not square itself. It can frequently be skewed on the bolt, woven unevenly, stretched and lots of other possibilities. If you pull a thread you might end up with a square end and you might not. Much of the fabric manufactured in our world is poorly made, sad to say.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I worked in a fabric store where we cut. Had a customer who was very irate that I would not tear the fabric " only way to get a perfect straight edge". I called the manager who said we would not tear it because the torn edge would sometimes stretch. "Hogwash" she said and grabbed the bolt and proceeded to tear the fabric. But in her excitement to " show us that she was and expert" she ripped the fabric, but is snagged or something and the tear was not only across the grain but with the grain! She totally ripped it lengthwise! Manager cut off that section and told her she was liable for the damages. Almost a yard was destroyed. I could not believe it would tear that way. She never came back into the store again.

3. Thanks Lisapc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
    Many years ago I worked in a fabric store where we cut. Had a customer who was very irate that I would not tear the fabric " only way to get a perfect straight edge". I called the manager who said we would not tear it because the torn edge would sometimes stretch. "Hogwash" she said and grabbed the bolt and proceeded to tear the fabric. But in her excitement to " show us that she was and expert" she ripped the fabric, but is snagged or something and the tear was not only across the grain but with the grain! She totally ripped it lengthwise! Manager cut off that section and told her she was liable for the damages. Almost a yard was destroyed. I could not believe it would tear that way. She never came back into the store again.
    Wow, talk about taking things in your own hands! Years ago, I shopped a high end store that carried fancy garment fabrics, many imported from Europe. Back in those days the fabrics were of higher quality, and they tore everything, wools, silks. The first time I heard one of their salespeople do that, I jumped thinking somebody just made a big mistake. But no, anything that could be torn, they tore. The f abrics of today are just not of the same quality to do that.