Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inviting a few new moderators and a word or two about the forum

Hey everyone, over the course of the next few months, I'll be adding 4-5 moderators to the crew, these aren't fulltime people, but just people who are on here enough to help with the influx of spam that's been happening and make sure the convo is uplifting. With that being said, I felt like I should take a minute to write out the role so we have it, and give a bit of background on why.

The role of a forum moderator

1) Flag and remove spam.

Keep an eye on new threads and posts coming in and prune as necessary.

2) Keep conversation uplifting kind and never mean / degrading / bullyish.

If the tone of a thread is going a poor direction, their job is primarily to instruct via correcting posts, PMs, and, in the rare event, remove a post or lock a thread. Keep in mind, deleting posts / threads and locking conversations are not their primary tools, but rather are available in situations where feelings may be hurt, or if general good will of the forum is at stake.

And there it is, that's the whole role. Not too crazy right?

Now, I would like to remind you all that this forum is provided to you as a service of the Missouri Star Quilt Company. What you say, what you do, how you treat people, all reflects on the image people have of our family and our business. Do not forget that.

We are probably the most free quilting forum out there; we don't mind conversations about our competition at all, and promote the sharing of good deals and ideas freely. That being said, outside of respectful questions in the "talk to MSQC" section, I won't tolerate airing dirty laundry about our company or family. No more claims of "MSQC cheated me" or "you guys used to be a good company, now you're awful" type of talk. You all know us. You know we are working as hard and as fast as we can to keep up with a growing business. You would probably be surprised to see the stress that goes along with what we do. The truth is that tears are shed often, while in private, about the immensity of the tasks in front of us.

Sarah, who is an owner of the shop, along with myself, is a mother of 5, a few of them teenagers, she is a wife, homemaker, daughter, sister, holds a calling at church, volunteers at school and in the community, and also runs the shop full time. You think that maybe life gets a bit overwhelming at times? I promise you it does. The demands of the business often keep her there at the shop till well after the kids are sent to bed, preparing the shop for the next day, paying bills, worrying about making payroll for dozens of employees, and so on.

My sister Natalie, a single mother of 5, is in a similar position as she runs customer service. Our call and email volume has roughly doubled in the last two months. She works on emails day and night, literally. Often, after dinner has been served and the kids put to bed, she will slip back to the shop to try and reply to a "few more emails" so we can try to get caught up, just because she cares. Think that she doesn't worry about being there for her kids, or finding balance in her life? I promise you she does, but she believes in what we are building and gives as much as she can.

So why am I telling you this? Well, most of you are our most adamant supporters; you come to our rescue when things go bad; you defend our decisions and outcomes because you know our intentions are good and trust us to deal fairly with you. But there are a few of you who get angry with us over daily deal snafus, over shipping delays, over questions unanswered, or feel cheated somehow by something that we haven't done that you thought we should have. Well I'm telling you, we give it all we have - sleep deprived, worked to the bone. Mom, Hillary, and Natalie made 17 quilts in 4 days for a magazine deadline recently (ever wonder what exhausted creatively and physically looks like?) I'm telling you this so you'll cut us some slack, so you won't come on here and ever, ever claim that we cheated you, or took advantage of you somehow. If you would like to use this forum, that we pay a significant amount of cash to operate, not to mention my time maintaining, all to you for free (with no ads, etc.), you need to trust that we are investing in you as our customer family. If things aren't working for you, PM me, e-mail me, e-mail the shop, give us a call; if it's busy, wait a day or two, chat with the girls about what's going on, but please don't bad mouth us - we would never bad mouth you. We know we’re not perfect, and we don’t claim to be. But please trust me when I say that we are doing our best day in and day out.

So I'm appointing a couple of moderators, these aren't "the powers that be" or anything like that; they are just here to follow along with the conversation, make sure we're lifting up and not pulling down, and keep the spammers out. If you all could support me and them in this endeavor, I'd be really really grateful.

Much love,
    Al

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Inviting a few new moderators and a word or two about the forum

Al, I definitely support all of you and so appreciate all that you do. Keep up the good work - you are all an inspiration to me and many others, Thank You!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So, it's not like you really need to sleep, right?

It's not said often enough around here, Thank you and the rest of the family for putting up with all of us. I know we are trying at times and it is probably real tempting to pull the plug on the forum server for a couple days rest, but you don't (unless you are upgrading.)

BTW, what MSQC spends on the equipment and running this forum could buy a nice used car, so I hope the rest of the forum members appreciate it and them as much as I do.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

4. Thanks Sheridan, bobw103 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I simply love this forum and the Doans family and I have only admiration for all the effort it takes to run it all.
    And run it as smothly and with such high service that they do!!!

I love you guys and I am truly thankful for you all!!

Hugs Annika

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Family Doan, I appreciate all you do and just want to take this chance to tell you so!

Thank You Very Much!!!!
    ~Kathy~

7. Thanks pdjewelrylady thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to you and the rest of the family for the tutorials, this forum and everything else that you do. I for one really appreciate what you do.
    Is not easy dealing with the public and you will never please everyone but I'd say you're doing a great job at pleasing most!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have often wondered How you guys can do all that you do! You all are amazing and I appreciate you and your family so much! Thank you for sharing all that your family is going through. I hope at some point some things will get less time consuming for you so that you can rest a bit. Again, Thank you so very much!
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I for one am glad you are adding moderators. Over the last month or so, there have been some very negative threads. I know that I have never bad mouthed anyone from MSQC. You, your mom, your sisters and the entire company have been a true blessing in my life, and I truly appreciate all that you do for all of us. I would be heartbroken if we lost this amazing place, to share our love of quilting, and the great friendships and inspiration that is the heart of the forum. I also know that I have gotten annoyed with some of the posts, and have maybe spoken out to harshly on them. But only because I felt your company, or a member was being treated poorly. I will try to keep my opinions to myself, and let you know instead. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, for all you and your family and the entire MSQC has given us.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you to the entire Doan family for giving us this wonderful forum without ads! I love your online store, tutorials and this forum! Keep up the great work and know that you are appreciated. I hope to visit the brick and mortar store at some point. Lisa
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

A big thank you to all at M*QC, we really do appreciated all that you do for us!!! It may not feel like it sometimes, but I think you are progressing with leaps and bounds and all in the right direction! Thanks again