Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grandpa wants to quilt

LOL , I'm a retired (do to health issues) diesel mechanic .I cant do heavy work anymore so to keep my mind and fingers busy I took up counted cross stitch found out I enjoyed it. I remembered watching my Grandma quilt when I was a kid so I am going to give it a try.As far as sewing goes I can operate a sewing machine. I saw the You tube video about the 3 Guys quilt and thought I can do that. Is this a good place for a beginner to start?
    Don`t know if there are any other guy quilters in the group but I hope you lades can put up with me.
    Steve

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grandpa wants to quilt

Welcome to the forum, there are a few other guys on here and always glad to have more. I haven't done the 3 guys quilt, so I can't answer, but I think that Jenny teaches so well and makes everything so easy that you should do fine. If you get stuck, post a question on the forum, somebody is always around. Lisa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Steve Welcome this is a great place with lots of helpful people and es there are several men here!
    Everyone here is just precios helping and offering suggestions..sit back and enjoy this great forum! Cant wait to see your quilt and hey how about some of your cross stitch!
    These things, I warmly wish for you-
    Someone to love, some work to do,
    A bit'o sun, a bit'o cheer.
    And a guardian angel always near.

(¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Shannon

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=64

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

To begin with welcome from Missouri. Glad to have another man on board. There are several men that belong to this forum. This is a great place for beginners. Lots of helpful seasoned quilters here that are more than happy to help you with anything you may want to know. Feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and someone will give you the answer. You may also want to utilize the search feature. You may find the answer there.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swells244 View Post
    LOL , I'm a retired (do to health issues) diesel mechanic .I cant do heavy work anymore so to keep my mind and fingers busy I took up counted cross stitch found out I enjoyed it. I remembered watching my Grandma quilt when I was a kid so I am going to give it a try.As far as sewing goes I can operate a sewing machine. I saw the You tube video about the 3 Guys quilt and thought I can do that. Is this a good place for a beginner to start?
    Don`t know if there are any other guy quilters in the group but I hope you lades can put up with me.
    Steve
    Hello! I think if you want to, you should quilt! My dad could sew by hand and with a machine. He could "tat" also. I've taught all of my sons to sew. 6 of them. My oldest called me last night to tell me he made scrubs for his wife on this new machine. LOL. I think he will eventually quilt, he loves my quilts. My husband is my greatest support, he hauls me to shops to buy fabric, he critiques my designs and layouts, he is just all around my biggest fan!

I do believe that the man who started Quilts of Valor is an older man who was retired when he decided to start quilting. You just never know what tomorrow may bring! God Bless!

6. Thanks Cat n bull thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Steve! We have a small group of guys that put up with us (for the most part, I think some of them go into hiding when we get too unruly) and it's always nice to add one more. This is a great place to ask questions and share your work, whether you are a beginner or a seasoned veteran. You are never too old or too good to learn something new!
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve and welcome from Massachusetts! Always great to have a new member but to have another guy is even better....no questions are silly questions, we've all asked them at one time or another. Also we love pictures so post whatever your working on.
    Tis is a great place with lots of friendly and talented people...have fun and visit often!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Steve welcome. Yes the three dudes pattern is a great place to start. it is easy and very forgiving.... as you have read that there are several men in our group Denis, handsomeryan, and some others too ( i can't remember) so welcome.
    Kellie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Steve.
    I'm new, also. I tried the 3 dudes quilt early on, for a friend. But I was in over my head. TOO many bias edges!
    My best advice would be to start with a basic four patch baby quilt. CHEAP fat quarters until you get a grip on the whole thing. There is a HUGE learning curve when starting out.
    You have to learn to walk before you run...
    I'm going to 'bump up' something for you, at the risk of rolling eyes....
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by New York Sue View Post
    Welcome, Steve.
    I'm new, also. I tried the 3 dudes quilt early on, for a friend. But I was in over my head. TOO many bias edges!
    My best advice would be to start with a basic four patch baby quilt. CHEAP fat quarters until you get a grip on the whole thing. There is a HUGE learning curve when starting out.
    You have to learn to walk before you run...
    I'm going to 'bump up' something for you, at the risk of rolling eyes....
    I hadn't thought of that. But, truly I would probably start with something that takes a layer cake and gives large results fast. Like that House quilt Jenny just made a tutorial for. Big Blocks, simple sewing, and boom! You have a finished quilt. You could do the raw edge applique to make it more simple also.

12. Thanks yeeehawterri thanked for this post