Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Smile changing bobbin on Janome 6600 on quilting frame

Hi everyone,

I have quilting questions as well as introducing myself. My name is Faye and I live in Opelika, Alabama -- just seven miles from Auburn University. I have only been quilting for almost two years but was inspired by my daughter who lives in Arkansas and has made well over 100 quilts! I have now made 44 quilts, most of which are embroidered (on my Janome 350E) ABC blocks with different themes (Sue Bonnet, sports, angels, mountain, crazy ABC, Noah's Ark, farm themes, etc. to be given to my 10 grandkids for their future children) and the rest have been full size and now I have queen and king tops waiting to be quilted. I have so enjoyed this forum and seeing so many great projects. I love Jenny's tutorials and have done five quilts from them.

These are my questions regarding quilting so I hope y'all can help me. I have a Janome 6600 and just bought a Grace King quilting frame. I have eight big quilt tops (queen and king size) ready to be quilted and I am sure they will take more than one bobbin. The Janome bobbin case is on the top side. By the time I get a big roll of quilt inside the throat space how in the world would I get to the bobbin? Also, is a king top, batting, and back going to fit inside my 9" space?

Second question is about the frame (which as yet I have not experimented with). I would like to do quilting designs on some of the quilts rather than FMQ. What sort of pantographs work well and what are your suggestions about a laser thing? Is the speed control accessory a good thing to have rather than the frame arm having to press down on the foot pedal? I don't think I can justify the price of a stitch regulator ($499.00) at this time.

Any and all suggestions and answers to these questions will be most appreciated. Thanks for reading this long post but I wanted to introduce myself as well.

Faye

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: changing bobbin on Janome 6600 on quilting frame

I have the same machine but it isn't on a frame. I didn't even know you could do that. But, you are correct, how would you change the bobbin without removing the quilt? I just recently bought a sweet 16 sit down long arm and when I tried it out I noticed that it had a front loading bobbin. I mentioned it to the dealer and she said that was the reason. I hadn't even thought of that before.

3. Thanks fayep thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Massachusetts. I don't have your machine or a frame so I am sorry I have no advice. I would love to see a photo when you are done though.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

5. Thanks fayep thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Faye, first, to change your bobbins while it's on the frame, you just roll the machine over to the side of the quilt. With a king frame, you should have lots of room on either side of your quilt sandwich to do this. And yes, you will need more than one bobbin. Your machine uses a standard size bobbin so I would guess you may need about a dozen bobbins or more for a queen size quilt. I have a Hinterberg Voyager that uses an "L" size bobbin which is about the size of a standard bobbin. When I quilt a lap size about 50 x 70, I use about 6 bobbins.

As for pantographs, because your machine has a 9" throat/arm/harp, you are very limited to the size of pantos you can use. On a lap size a 4" wide pattern should be ok, keep in mind it will be fairly dense. On a queen or king size quilt, you can start off with a 4" pattern but as you roll your quilt onto the "take up roller" (TUR) inside the throat, the space you have available will decrease after each roll. By mid quilt, I think you'll be almost out of room to use even the smallest of pantograph available.

I would use cotton or cotton/poly blends (like Hobbs 80/20) type batting. These are low to mid loft battings. Stay clear of poofy poly batts as they will quickly take up your precious space under the arm of your machine.

7. Thanks fayep thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother PQ1500 with a 9" harp on a Gracie king frame. Like Denis said just roll over past the quilt to change the bobbin. Let me know how the pantographs work for you, if you use them.

I have the speed control accessory but I bought the stitch regulator and I do use that....love it. They both do basically the same thing.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

9. Thanks fayep thanked for this post