Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice please

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice please

A few months ago it was suggested that I should give a quilting and applique class. I thought about it hard and put out feelers as to how many would like to come to such a class but with the cost of hiring a venue and and the timing of it all I decided not to.

Another reason I decided against it was a local lady who runs basic sewing classes got all uppity about someone else, a 'newcomer' trespassing on her territory. To be honest I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of someone being bitchy and trying to spoil my classes. The rumours this woman started were unbelievable. (Why are some people like that?) Anyway, long story short I let the matter slide.

In January this lady put out her new list of classes and sure enough she had a quilting class included. Now the thing is that this woman has never quilted. When I was in my friend's shop discussing the Easter window on Saturday this lady came into the shop. She had never met me, despite professing to know all that personal information about me, and she started talking to Kay and gradually me about her class and how she was going to manage to teach it. She said that this 'stranger' had tried to muscle into her 'turf' so she had put on a class and was now trying to learn each class before she gave it. She was laughing at how clever she was to have ousted this woman and that she could learn enough to teach in a couple of days etc etc etc.

Kay.......who can be very naughty..... said ohhhhhhhhhh this lady quilts a lot. I didn't say anything about the classes, just discussed quilting and learned that she really didn't know a thing. We discussed accurate cutting, colour values (she asked what that was) various blocks (non of which she knew but said she didn't need to). Finally I said....... I was asked to give some classes a few months ago but let the idea slide. There was a longgggggg silence (filled with Kay trying to smother giggles) then this woman without batting an eyelid said that maybe I could come and be a guest speaker to her class.

I agreed that I would because I am not bi*chy or petty and now with Mr D gradually getting back to work in theory I have more time. Also I am very serious about promoting this special craft in the UK.

Now my question in this. Should I show them all the kinds of things you can do even as a beginner if you have the correct information and help? Or... should I completely show her up by teaching them an utterly fab block that is easy but looks amazing? Or maybe a combination of the two? Or should I be a proper lady and be kind to her and give a nice little talk about fabric, colours and making a basic 9 patch?

I really am torn about what to do.............. lets see how many say......yayyyyy stick it in her!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice please

Daisy I think you should make an easy fab block. and while you are at it show them a technique that they can adapt easily . I'm thinking the three dudes blocks...sew around the square and cut the x. ...magic.
    Kellie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would be a little concerned about working with or for her considering her past behavior. As hard as it is.........I would take the "High Road".......and protect your reputation. If she gossiped about you before.......she is likely to do it again. You have so much talent with quilting and have so much to offer..........ladies in your community will respect you for your talent if you decide to teach your own classes. Good luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I have to admit my first thought was to totally show her up!!! (sorry, friends who feel that I'm so wonderful) - and then I decided to tell you what I would do. I would welcome the offer, tell her exactly what I would charge (don't forget to get your cut - even guests get paid!!!!!!! Barrister fees, right?) . . . and then I would cram as much information as I could in the time allotted and then show them some wonderful TRICK that only you as a master would know.

And I would end by telling all these wonderful ladies that if they wanted to learn more about quilting that you would be more than happy to put together several programs and show them many other wonderful tricks!!

So there!!

Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a sticky situation isn't it? It would be so easy to say, "Who died and gave you the quilting crown?!!!"
    But being as you would really like to help teach quilting - I think I would have a private conversation with her and let her know that I did not appreciate being malinged(sp?) and could we start off on the right foot?
    Seems to be a golden opportunity that you were there at the right time - she may become a good friend

Kind of like when we make a mistake with our quilting or cutting and turn it into a creative masterpiece, so to speak.
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh, I like the way Sandy N. put it!!! ....and the pic is priceless!
    ~Kathy~

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I would take the higher road and not do it at all with her, if you would like to do a class let the rumors fly the truth will be known on its own

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Sandy, make sure you get paid for your guest speaking spot. I think it is a great opportunity to promote your own quilting lessons.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear dear Daisy. This is a hard one for me. The one side of my brain says to just do the basic, which would be absolutely no fun at all. Or..... do a combination of both. Teach them a simple, yet complicated looking block, and all the things a beginning quilter can learn. There is no high road or low road. You are a fabulous quilter, with a vast knowledge of your craft. You should not have to worry about your 'reputation', as your work speaks for itself. I just don't see it as sticking it to her, if you teach what you know, and she doesn't. That is what my wise a$$ would do, lol.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I felt the same way as Sandy and just mess with her. What if you teach just the one simple block and have some cards ready to hand out? That way you are nice and sneaky at the same time? I think when you present the class and get to know the students they will get the difference between you two.

Lorie