Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Post Love quilting and am looking for some storage ideas for yards and yards of fabric..

I have a quilt studio in my basement. I have been blessed with a huge space to spread out and keep my stuff up at all times without the hassle of taking it down after each sewing project. I have an area that is 16' X 75'. I use an area at one end of the basement which is about 15' X 25'. I have shelves on one end of the studio that have bins of pre-cut strips. I have a standard size cutting table that I purchased from a quilt shop that was going out of business. I have a nice ironing board (rectangle) on top of a shelving unit that works absolutely perfect. My question is, I have many pieces of yardage that I have neatly displayed in an old oak glass door hutch. I don't like the oak wood and would love to figure out a different way to keep the fabric from dust, but not in the oak hutch. I have a solid cherry conference table I have converted to a sewing table, and 2 beautiful cherry lateral cabinets to store patterns, etc. The oak hutch doesn't fit in with the decor. I am curious if there are any other quilters that may have some unique ways of storing their fabric yardage. Thank you for any information you would be willing to share? Thank you,
    Pam

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Love quilting and am looking for some storage ideas for yards and yards of fabric..

If I had enough fabric to store then I'm sure I would have some suggestions. Right now I have a room that's about 9'x9' and my "stash" consists of about seven pieces of fabric lol How about staining your hutch a cherry colour so it matches the sewing table and your other cabinets? That's the only thing I can think of, but there are LOTS of ladies and gentlemen on here with impressive stashes that I'm sure will offer some great suggestions

Welcome to the forum!
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Love quilting and am looking for some storage ideas for yards and yards of fabric..

Have you thought about sanding and painting the hutch? I saw a craft room on Pinterest where the girl took a handful of odd and unmatched pieces, sanded them, added matching trim, painted them all the same color. She got coordinating bins and boxes with lids to put on the shelves. It's really a cool looking room. I should see if I can find that picture for you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the picture. When I saw it the first time, there were before and after photos. But none of these pieces matched. There are 3 bookcases she attached to each other, and added trim to the top to have them appear as one piece to match the hutch, and she painted it all black, except the table top. It's listed as one of the top 10 craft rooms. It's just so simple and easy to do! (btw, click on the picture and it will blow up for you) HTH!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	4155 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	40684

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    Here is the picture. When I saw it the first time, there were before and after photos. But none of these pieces matched. There are 3 bookcases she attached to each other, and added trim to the top to have them appear as one piece to match the hutch, and she painted it all black, except the table top. It's listed as one of the top 10 craft rooms. It's just so simple and easy to do! (btw, click on the picture and it will blow up for you) HTH!

Wow, that's ll I can say about this!

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a closet with shelves and my Antique wardrobe for storage. Otherwise, I use a clear plastic "box" for current projects... They keep my fabric and patterns together til I can get to them. And they stack nicely on the floor or on the shelf. See them stacked up in the photo.. upper left corner.

Name:	2.6.13 circlesQAUG.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	40687

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't that be a dream!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is a beautiful room, Kensington!

To the OP - Have you seen the pictures on this forum of the fabric folded around comic book boards? There are several and if you have a lot of yardage, that would be the place to start, I think. Depending on the amount you have, you may need bookcases to store you little bolts on.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post

WOW! that is so nice!

My suggestion is the same as the others, paint or stain to match.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes wish I had glass doors to enclose my fabric. It helps to keep it clean, I would think. I like the painting idea. You might also consider getting foam board and cutting it with an exacto knife to wrap your fabric around. It is more expensive than comic boards, but it much sturdier.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"