Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Murphy's law as pertains to eggs

Eggs boiled to make deviled eggs will not peel nicely, those boiled in anticipation of making egg salad will peel perfectly. I am making deviled eggs for an American Legion dinner and have boiled dozens but have only about half that I can use. Off to the store to get some more.
    When I get enough I will be adding some crumbled bacon, minced onion and cheddar cheese to the yolks, garnished with a dusting of smoked paprika. The old men go crazy for these treats.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Murphy's law as pertains to eggs

they sound delicious would love your recipe if your willing to give it up. I make mine with sweet pickle relish and mustard dusted with paprika and my men love them but with bacon in , THEY LOVE BACON LOL
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

haha...so true....if I'm making deviled eggs for myself, they peel perfectly. If I'm making them for company I might have 3 that resemble eggs when they're peeled. I put them in cold water as soon as they're finished cooking....sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have no real recipe, just add about 2 Tablespoons finely minced onion, 2-3 strips crisp cooked bacon crumbled and a hand full of finely shredded cheddar cheese to about 8-10 egg yolks with the normal, salt, pepper and mayo. Every dinner now the legion members look for the eggs, they love them so much. I have never had any left over to bring home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere if you add a teaspoon ( can't remember exact amount)? of baking soda to the water when you boil them the shells will come off easily. I haven't tried this so I don't know if it works or not.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have always found that the freshest eggs - those just bought - are the ones that don't peel easily. So, sounds like you may buy fresh eggs for events/company and use ones you already have for yourself. I always buy eggs for Easter at least a week in advance.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

My eggs usually peel pretty easily. The secret is to start them off in cold water, once the y come to a boil, turn heat down and simmer. Always start at the large end to peel, making sure you get under the membrane.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntiemern View Post
    My eggs usually peel pretty easily. The secret is to start them off in cold water, once the y come to a boil, turn heat down and simmer. Always start at the large end to peel, making sure you get under the membrane.
    I was going to post "start with the large end". I put my eggs in a pan of cold water and bring it to a boil, turn the heat off and put a lid on it and let them sit for about 25 minutes - that is for hard boiled, for soft boiled you'll want to decrease the time. Then I put them in cold water and that seems to help with the peeling.

We used to have laying hens and some of those fresh eggs peeled just fine and some not so much.

The eggs from the store may sit in a warehouse for 2 or 3 weeks before being delivered to the grocers and they generally have a wax coating on them to keep bacteria from forming in them.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The best way I've found to cook is start in cold water, and as soon as a boil is reached, cover and remove from heat. 15 minutes later, drain, then run under cold water. Perfect, everytime without that gray/green discoloration.

I'll have to try the baking soda tip!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyequilter View Post
    I was going to post "start with the large end". I put my eggs in a pan of cold water and bring it to a boil, turn the heat off and put a lid on it and let them sit for about 25 minutes - that is for hard boiled, for soft boiled you'll want to decrease the time. Then I put them in cold water and that seems to help with the peeling.

We used to have laying hens and some of those fresh eggs peeled just fine and some not so much.

The eggs from the store may sit in a warehouse for 2 or 3 weeks before being delivered to the grocers and they generally have a wax coating on them to keep bacteria from forming in them.
    Place eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, boil 5 minutes, cover and remove from heat. 15 minutes later place those eggs in cold water. Either dry and place in fridge for later or peel then and there.

Same process for easy peel eggs as a few others posting.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]