Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for cat owners

Since a lot of you have cats, I thought I'd ask this question here How often do you completely change out the litter in your cat's box? We are using scoopable litter, and I clean it out daily. I just didn't know how often I need to totally dump it out and start fresh.
    Lori

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question for cat owners

Well Lori, I haven't lived with a cat for many years. (She was adorable. I called her Agatha.) Anyway, I can't remember how often I changed her box completely, but not once a day. I'd scoop out once a day or more.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hello fellow kitty lover! I find whenever there's a smell it's time to change it all.. Only the nose knows as they say! Of course with only one kitty, the litter will stay fresh longer...

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandyWhite View Post
    Well Lori, I haven't lived with a cat for many years. (She was adorable. I called her Agatha.) Anyway, I can't remember how often I changed her box completely, but not once a day. I'd scoop out once a day or more.
    Sorry, my post wasn't clear! Oops! I only scoop out the clumps every day. I don't completely change it daily.
    Lori

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suzyq View Post
    Hello fellow kitty lover! I find whenever there's a smell it's time to change it all.. Only the nose knows as they say! Of course with only one kitty, the litter will stay fresh longer...
    OK, thanks! I had completely changed it today since it had been a week, but it didn't smell at all. Guess I could have waited longer which will be easier on the wallet since it takes over 1/2 a bucket of litter to fill up his gigantic box!
    Lori

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Suzyq nose (knows) all kitties aren't the same size.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roar.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	40012

7. Thanks HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

we have only one kitty atm and we completely change it once a week to 10 days depending on smell. we use a scoopable litter with deoderant and scoop the clumps every day.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

We just got a new litter system called Breeze. No more of that fine litter tracked all over. In the process of transitioning from the old clumping type to this new system.

10. Thanks HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First, use THIS litter:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer....5-lb/12166399

It's the only kind we use anymore! Not dusty like the clay litters, although if you are using a clay litter some kitties will freak out over the feel of this stuff (it's much lighter and softer) so be prepared that they may not take to it right away and try mixing litters and slowly phase out the old one. It also smells really nice Not a strong perfume smell like some others, but still scented just enough to make it smell nice for days.

We have two cats, and we scoop daily and completely toss about once a week. Basically once it starts to change colour (this litter turns a darker orangey-red) and it doesn't smell nice anymore, that's when it gets tossed. Every kitty is different and litter boxes are all different sizes so I usually go by smell and colour to know when it needs dumping
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check out those litters next time I am at the store.
    Lori