Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Having Border Problems...

I have done an applique quilt, white 6 1/2" blocks with a 5 petal flower in the center in bright funky colors. I have a complimentary fabric with all the colors in the flower for the border. It's also a white background with a flower design randomly over the fabric.

Now to my question...

I already have a 1" small border and am wanting to use the complimentary fabric above to make a 4" finished border around the whole quilt with squared corners. My problem is the quilt is longer than the fabric so I will have to piece the border. What is the best way to piece the fabric so it looks good and not wierd? For instand, the top edge of my quilt is approximately 44" so I will have to piece 2 pieces of fabric together to get a piece long enough to go across the whole top. Do I take the total amount I need (44") and divide that in half and make the seam in the middle? Would I make the seam a straight seam or would I miter the seam even though there is no way to match up the pattern?

If this makes no sense whatsoever, please let me know. I am tired, not feeling well and just overwhelmed with more Christmas gifts to handmake and get finished than I have time. And yeah, I still have to work!

Thanks for giving us newbies a great place to ask our crazy questions. I will take pics tonight and post of what I have finished so far. I think it has turned out beautiful! I just hope my 12 yo niece will love it!!!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Having Border Problems...

Under tutorials there is a border tutorial. I think it might be under how to use the binding tool.

Hope this helps.

Your border will turn out great if you follow Jenny's instructions.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Having Border Problems...

The binding tool has one way and Jenny also shows how to make a binding under her trimming and binding tutorial. Look under tutorials. Good luck. One of the things I was told is to add up all the inches around your quilt and then divide by 40 this will tell you how many strips to cut. Then follow Jenny's tutorial on binding. You don't have to have a binding tool to do it just watch and you'll see. Jan

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Doubleup, I have the same problem coming up with a quilt I need to finish for Ace. I am planning on doing a straight seam to make my border long enough. If I feel the need to match up the patterns on the fabric, it will be easier with a straight seam. I also don't plan to center the seam, I think it would be more obvious in the center--that's why they recommend a seamed backing to not have the seam in the center--so I figure it's best for a border too.
    I sure hope you feel better soon and that you have more than enough time to finish your projects!
    Your quilt sounds beautiful and would love to see a pic if you are able to post one.
    Lola

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually stress out with the borders when I have to piece them but the seams always seem to blend in when I get the quilting done on it.
    Just a thought.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think I got it all figured out!! I cut and put the borders, small and large, on last night and I think they turned ou pretty well. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. Now I just need to take it to the quilt shop tomorrow and put it on the long arm and get it quilted! I'll start another post with the pictures of the quilt!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you jumped right in. I've always pieced my borders and I don't think it's ever distracted from the overall look of the quilt. I always remember that quilts were originally made from scraps so a few joins here and there will only add to the character of your quilt. They don't have to be perfect!
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with JR. Thats what makes it special, if you want perfect you could buy it. Keep cool(I mean warm) and carry on. Enjoy your work.
    Saundra

May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door! God bless the USA!

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the top with the borders attached! Thank you to everyone for your wonderful help!!!