Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

...about us!

It occurred to me that since it wasn't that long ago that I was a newbie, there are a lot of people on here that I never read their intro and don't know much about them. So, if you are comfortable, let's re-introduce ourselves to the newcomers.

Since I suggested it, guess I will start:

Hello, my name is Donna and I am a quilt addict. I am 55 and have four children from 32 to 16 and a five month old grandson. He was the reason I got started on this whole quilting thing at this point in my life. I had been interested for years, but just never took the plunge (other than accumulating a large stash of fabrics). When I searched the internet for quilt ideas, I stumbled upon Jenny's JRR tutorial and I was hooked. I work the night shift at the Post Office and have for 25 years, so pretty used to it. Currently live with my sister after divorcing 5 years ago and hoping to find the right place to move to soon. It's not so easy since we have dogs. Actually, I think the dogs have us. We not only have a crew of our own, we foster rescue dogs pulled from death row and find homes for them. It is very rewarding, but a LOT of work. It also makes it hard to find a place to live where you have dog-loving neighbors - which we do here.

Since I started quilting last summer, I have finished four quilts, have eight UFO's, and a ton of fabric waiting for it's turn.

Glad you have all joined us and I am looking forward to seeing more of you!

Next....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Hi all together,

my name is Renate, I am at home in Winterthur/Switzerland, where I live with my dear Markus. I started quilting about 15 years ago, but had a longer break, because of working like crazy. A tutorial from Jenny gave me the kick to start again and since then I am adicted. In the past I used to work as a natural doctor, but stopped my praxis because of a fully burn-out. Since about 10 years my dear Markus and I are running a company selling beautiful frames to the opticians. I am a lot on the road, visiting our customers and by the way also the next fabric stores, what let my stash grow each week.
    Seldom I am quilting something for my own, oh, I try it with each project, but at the moment something is ready what was planed for our house, somebody comes, admires the work and asks carfully if i eventually could do something like that for him or her. that`s the moment, when I see my things go through the door and I do the next "but thats the one I will keep" project.
    Markus and I have 3 children, 27, 24 and 23. The older and the younger are boys and a girl in the middle. They all live their own life in their own flat. Carolin started quilting also 2 weeks ago and each time she visits me, we are doing something together.
    In my freetime in the warmer season I spend as much time as possible on the golf courses around. Quilting and Golfing relaxes me immediately and I am sure, would I have quilted or golfed more during my praxis work, I never would have had a burn-out.
    (Should we ever close our optical support business, I will open a quilting-golfing recreation-home and I am sure, people are a lot quicker back to live than with medicin and talking-therapie).

So, I am curious what you have to write about yourself

Next ...

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hello my name is Christine. Live in Upstate NY. 61 year old widow for 4 yrs now. Two boys 37 and 30 and a grand dog named Riley,who I have made a quilt and a Christmas stocking for . I love to quilt have been doing so since my sister introduced me 12 years ago. I have made many many and most of them have gone to my oldest son who lives in MI. Given away to my very best friends and sometimes to people I don't even know . I love to sit and sew. But it's the fabric that I fall in love with. Hope I'm not the only one that just buys because its so beautiful and can't bare to cut it. Lived in central Florida for 12 years and moved back home after the death of my husband. My sister (that got me hooked) and I quilt a lot together. And yes must admit that sometimes we don't agree ,but we still have fun.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

hello Renata. I read your story and relate in many ways. I am a music teacher and didn't realize how burned out I was until I gave up my position to move for my partner's promotion. I couldn't find a teaching position in Ohio and decided that since it was a temporary move I would take a much needed sabbatical and focus on things that made me happy and relaxed. I do not have any children unfortunately so Ohio has been very lonely. I had a stash of fabric because I could never pass up purchasing a fine textile when it inspired me. So, like you, I caught the quilting bug and haven't stopped since. I was also inspired to quilt after watching one of Jenny Doan's tutorials. I pulled out a Jelly Roll and away I went.

When you open your Quilting/Golfing resort let me know, because I will be your first booking!!!

Nancy

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely life story! Thanks for sharing

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi !
    I joined MSQC forum as a lurker in 2011......in 2012 I began to ask questions etc. There's so many awesome and talented people here on this forum to ask questions if needed !!
    I began sewing in 1979 when my DD was just a newborn. We moved to Illinois so that my DH Terry ( he passed away in 2002 ) could go to college. For my 25th b-day ( opps now I am revealing my age !! ) DH Terry gave me a brand-new Kenmore sewing machine. I laughed when I opened that heavy box....I said " What do you expect me to do with a sewing machine...?? " He thought that I could learn to sew !!! The Next day I called my MIL and she laughed too when I told her the story of unwrapping my B-day gift...but believe it or not my dear MIL taught me how to sew over the telephone ! The first advice she gave me was to get a couple of JIFFY Patterns ( Simplicity made them back then, and I see that Simplicity tis bringing the JIFFY patterns back ! Anyway, MIL told me that the first few garments I made that I would probably want to throw out....but everyone has to learn somehow. Over the years I made everything my DD wore except her socks and tights ! My DD Mysti Dawn loved pinafores and dresses, and I loved sewing for that little girl of mine. Over the years, I have made prom dresses, wedding gowns ( for family members ) and now I have grandkids to make things for.
    When I stumbled on this site, I was so thrilled......it was amazing that I found it during one of my surfing days!!!!!
    As far as quilting, I haven't started one yet, but have watched a lot of Jenny & her family's tutorials. I have made tote bags, table runners, receiving blankets etc.
    Now.....I really want to get ready for quilting !!! The NEWEST Tutorial that Jenny just did took my breath away ! So, I quickly ordered the fabric I wanted for the quilt ( I love the new lilac charm pack from Debbie Beaves.....) I am going to make the quilt, curtains for my room etc....I am so excited !!!
    I also want to make another quilt .....with the " More This & That " from Nancy Halverson. This quilt is the Flower Garden Quilt with Sashing......oh I could go on and on......I love the skate board quilt that Jenny and the guy from Man Sews did last Friday too. I have a list of things to make that is taller than I am....!!! Quilting is ....well, my absolute fav hobby right now.
    Below are the quilts I plan to make this year !!

The Spring Dresden Quilt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl8aXceggwU

The Orange Peel Quilt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tyAig7XupI

The Illusion Block Quilt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBSZxu3nHDI

The Skateboard Quilt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Akr61m134

So you see I am really into wanting to make quilts. I ordered the charm packs and other materials to make the Spring Dresden Quilt....
    BUT ..here's my dilemma......I get bored easily working on one sewing project at a time !! Any suggestions for the 2nd Quilt ? I am going to start the Spring Dresden Quilt as soon as the supplies come from MSQC !!!
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; February 13th, 2015 at 07:33 PM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
    Hi! . . . ....
    BUT ..here's my dilemma......I get bored easily working on one sewing project at a time !! Any suggestions for the 2nd Quilt ? I am going to start the Spring Dresden Quilt as soon as the supplies come from MSQC !!!
    Go for the Illusion Quilt!
    That one seems like a lot of fun and looks pretty easy to complete quickly (it's on my list, too).

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Renate,
    Nice to meet you! I laughed to myself when I saw that you are an eyeglass frame rep. I am an optician in the US. I wonder if that's why we are drawn to quilting? The need for precision and mathmatics? I am looking forward to learning many things here. My user name is Duezie. Happy Quilting!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone. I'm definitely a newbie to the forums. I did a winter mystery quilt project that required a forum "membership." Figured it's time I introduce myself somewhere.

I live in Northern Colorado, am divorced, and share my house with a terrier mix (Dori) and four female cats (Journey, Charlotte, Fric and Frac -- they're twins). I have a son (33) and a daughter (28), two granddaughters (4 and 2) and a grandson (3 months).

Four years ago this month it became obvious that my mother (then 84) was no longer able to live on her own 300 miles away. I moved her into a skilled care center (read nursing home) only 11 miles from my home. A year later I was able to move her into an assisted living facility that gave her more privacy and cost 1/2 of what the skilled care facility did. I visited her 2-3 times a week. We watched Broncos games and Rockies games and movies. We visited sometimes but most of the time I sat quietly in her "living room" while she read in her bedroom or even napped. When I wasn't visiting her, I was watching granddaughters to help out their parents.

Mother passed in October, one week after her 87th birthday, and I found myself with extra time.

I have always loved giving handmade gifts, especially to my mother. In the mid-1990s a coworker had started quilting. She brought in one of her tops and then brought it back after it was quilted. I was intrigued. I had done needlepoint and crocheting and very little sewing. The thought of putting pieces of fabric together using straight lines that could be useful for years excited me.

One Thanksgiving I decided to make a quilt (it ended up king size) for my mother for Christmas. I purchased a book that had a quilt-as-you-go log cabin pattern. I decided to do it in black, cream, gray and red (Mom thought of those as "Navajo" colors) and backed with diaper flannel. I got it finished the morning we were leaving for Mom's for Christmas and she was amazed. (She told me she never would have thought I could do a quilt.) She didn't use it on her bed very long because it was so heavy, but it's waiting for me in her cedar chest in storage.

I made a wall hanging that my daughter appropriated for her "blankie" and a sunflower quilt for my bed and then I put the sewing machine away and said I'd get back to quilting "someday."

My daughter-in-law and son announced last summer they were expecting a little boy. Wanting to make something lasting from grandma, I decided to make him a quilt. I had a Storybook Playtime charm pack so I ordered 3 more and set out to make the Plus Sign Quilt, using 2 1/2' squares instead of 5" squares. I backed it with Superman fleece, and bound it with baby blue satin blanket binding.

I have finished a Jelly Roll Race top and the mystery quilt top. I'm working on the Illusion Quilt for my son's 10th anniversary in November. I look at these as legacy pieces for my family.

I watch each of the tutorials that Jenny does, buy more fabric, and make plans for future projects.

Thanks for listening to my rambles. Quilt on my friends!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi-
    My name is Michelle, I live in Connecticut. I am new to quilting (I haven't started my first one yet) and I am already addicted. I have been married to my wife for almost 13 years and we have one fur baby. It is nice to meet you all.