Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KPH
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida!
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Lani
      Shiny Thimble
      • Jul 2019

Hello all, I am brand new to this forum but not to quilting!! I can't even count how many I've made! It all started about 23 years ago or so. I had done much sewing before that but not quilting...my first attempt was quite a disaster. Then I bought a book on minature quilts thinking if it was smaller it would be easier!! Boy was I wrong!! However, I kept on, found a quilt class and was so stunned by the HUGE pieces that were being used! LOL, it made life so much easier. Anyway, it's hundreds of projects later - mostly given away and I still love to learn and grow in my skills. I really enjoy the MSQC videos, they're always inspiring. I am going to be going through Hamilton on a road trip this week and am excited to stop and shop!!

A little more about me...my husband of 27 years and I live on a farm in rural Saskatchewan (Canada). We have six kids (13 - 23), the oldest one is married and only the three youngest are at home still, though that won't be for much longer either! I teach music, write, lead 4H Crafts, run the Bible Quizzing program and of course, sew whenever I can!! We have a few cows, chickens, dogs and cats. I love my country life and am happy to meet other quilters from around the world!!!

Comment

• JCY
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2013

Welcome, Lani, from Colorado. I think you'll like us here.

Comment

• cv quilter
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

Welcome, Lani! It's so nice to have you here. You will always learn something new, and you can likely pass some of your knowledge on to us. Come visit us often.
          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• momma reisig
            Shiny Thimble
            • Aug 2019

HELLO NEW FRIENDS,
            Whoops caps lock, my name is Sharon and sewing has always been a part of my life. My Mom sewed all the time and if she were still here she would be so proud that I have been busy as well. I'm married 35 years to the same guy and we have 3 grown kids who all live far away. I miss them like crazy!
            Recently visited Missouri Star in Hamilton and had a blast. It was a road trip from our home in NY to Montana and it was all fabric related (husband didnt come along, just my lovely daughter in law). Sooo much fabric.
            I'm glad to find a forum bc it seems I always have a question about something.

Comment

• kkkkk
              Fabric Fanatic
              • Sep 2019

Hi everyone. I go by the name Kat. I am married to one sweet man for 49 years. I am trying to get up the courage to cut squares of cotton for my first quilt. I still want to acquire a walking foot and have to do that soon. I have fabric (of course...haha) and a machine that functions, a simple Janome, and the room to work. Mostly I need the courage to start. Joining this group is meant to apply pressure to me to do this thing. What else can I do with that much fabric (haha)? Plus I'm getting older by the day...68 now and no quilt yet...I mostly need to jump in the cold swimming pool at 7 am as I did for swim lessons when I was 6...brrrr....and learn to swim/I mean quilt. I clearly have to watch the videos. Have not done this yet. I have 2 wonderful grown daughters and garden with a crazed addictive artistic attitude. TY.

Comment

• Caroline T.
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2016

Welcome Kat to the forum, you're gonna love it here! Jump in the quilt pool, where the water is always warm, sometimes a little scary, but always beautiful (there's no such thing as an ugly quilt!).

Jenny's tutorials are a wonderful place to start. I would recommend starting with her older tutorials as she seemed to "explain" things in a bit more detail than she does in her newer tutorials. She mostly uses pre-cuts (charm packs, layer cakes, and jelly rolls), but that shouldn't slow you down if you have yardage, just take a slow deep breath, and cut away to make your own 5 inch, or 10 inch squares (what ever she's demonstrating). And always remember, we're here to help you with any questions or advise!

Comment

• mslanier
                  Shiny Thimble
                  • Dec 2019

Hi all... I'm Monica in Georgia, and I'm a recently retired educator. I started with embroidery 13 months ago... purchasing a machine to do embroidery for my 5 (at that time, I had 4) beautiful granddaughters. When the latest was on the way, I decided to do a baby quilt with embroidered blocks and put them all together having seen lovely pictures in my embroidery group. I've since become hooked on quilting as well as embroidering....finishing the baby quilt and making a rag quilt for my father for Christmas. While making the baby quilt, I used many tutorials from YouTube and stumbled upon the Missouri Star Quilt Co. at that time. I'm so thankful for these folks and the way they freely share information! My goal is to one day make a trip to Missouri to visit the stores!

Comment

• KatieDid587
                    Shiny Thimble
                    • Jan 2020

Hello everyone!! I'm Katie I'm in Northeast Florida, I'm 32, Married for the last 5 yrs to the guy I dated my Senior Year of High School, but paths were taking us apart so we broke up. After 12 yrs of being apart he moved back home and we were back together within a week , engaged in 3 months. We now have a beautiful 1 yr old girl who was conceived via IVF after 3.5 yrs of trying. She's my life, my everything and I can't imagine life without her.

I learned to sew at a young age, I think about 8, my Mom always made our Halloween Costumes, and special occasion outfits, so I had to do what my Mom did. I stopped sewing for a long time and just recently started back up after watching a tutorial that Jenny put together on Brickyard. I am currently working on 3 quilts. I am addicted! Quilting is my me time, my self care.

I love that I rediscovered sewing and am expanding into quilting. I look forward to learning lots of new techniques and watching all the tutorials!!

Also super excited going to go see Jenny when she's here in Ocala, Florida!!

Comment

• Rosemarie Taylor
                      Shiny Thimble
                      • Jan 2020

Thank you for sharing and I agree. The quilters on the Forum are so kind and so helpful. It's like chatting over coffee or tea with your friends who just happen to be all over the world and the U.S., but online. I have only been a member since April so I appreciate all of your re-introductions!
                      quilt patterns

Comment

• NancyH
                        The Guild President
                        • Apr 2014

Welcome to the forum, Katie. You will love it here. An amazing group of people who are willing to help in any way they can. Enjoy the forum!
                        Nancy

Comment

• geegeequilts
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2015

You will love it here. If you wonder about something...ask & someone will get the info for you.

Gina

Comment

• Lecarrus
                            Shiny Thimble
                            • Sep 2021

Hi my name is Linda I’m 64 yrs young happily married and I live in ocala fl. I have been a sewer all my life however, Just started quilting 7 years ago. I also do long arming. I have made quite a few quilts for my family and friends Most recently I made the signature “following Jenny’s tutorial.
                            It was for a high school friend who turned 65 and I sent out fabric to all of our high school buddies.
                            I opened up a private invitation only chat room on Facebook and they follow the process of me making the quilt. My friend received the quilt yesterday and was overwhelmed with emotion. She said it was the best present she ever received in her entire life. Thank you Jenny for making this possible for me to make someone feel so special.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                              Hillbillyhike commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Welcome! That is a beautiful quilt and quilting! What a wonderful gift.
                          • MartaRomaItaly
                            Shiny Thimble
                            • Sep 2021

Hi, my name is Marta and I am from Rome, Italy. 58 years old. Mainly I am an artist (painting). I was in America to visit my aunt many decades ago and saw Amish women's quilts in Williamsburg, Virginia. I didn't know anything about patchwork, quilting or sewing, but I fell in love instantly! It was several decades before I made my first quilt for a cot, entirely by hand. Then, again by hand, I made the second one: a foot runner for a double bed. In June 2016 I started making a blanket that I had seen on a photo on the internet in the 90s: this too entirely by hand. 12 blocks, fillets, border, etc. I am currently finishing 12th block. In the meantime, I inherited my mother's sewing machine and entered the world of machine-sewn quilts. I, who do not know how to hem my pants! I have done a lot of small jobs, a lot of mistakes and I have unstitched so many things since I have been sewing on a machine. But I am passionate more and more. So, hello everyone! And thanks to the girls at MSQC who inspired me, helped immensely with their videos to become better, faster and more confident.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                              Hillbillyhike commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Welcome! My husband and I love traveling to Italy. It's a beautiful country!
                          • Susanne
                            Machine Stitcher
                            • Sep 2021

Hi …I am a new member. I’ve been making quilts for a while. It all started when I took an online class with Susan Sorrell and I learned how to sew small quilts…about the size of a potholder, which is what my husband called them, covered with lots of beads. They all have some sort of “picture” on them. One of my favorites is of my black cat lying on the floor with his feet in the air.
                            Then I decided to try sewing a quilt on the machine. I made a very small one, about 12” X 12”, all in blues. Then I signed up for a class with Freddy Moran. If you don’t know who she is, you should look her up online. She likes to wear bright colors and wears glasses with red rims. The class was held in Ventura, CA, which is just down the coast from where I grew up, in a little town near Santa Barbara. So it was a good chance to go home. (I now live near Wash. DC.).
                            Well, I got hooked. I even made my version of one of Freddy’s quilts. I say my version, because I used a lot more different fabrics than she did. And, PS, I like my version better. It’s a queen sized quilt….something I will never do again. OMG, sew sew sew sew sew.
                            I even started entering shows and sometimes get accepted.
                            The last 2 years, since this horrible pandemic started, I have made over 100 small quilts….and I’m still at it. I was astonished when I sat down and counted them. A lot of them are piled up on top of a small chest in the living room. So, BTW, my “studio” is my dining room table.
                            And other possibly relevant information…. I have a PhD in Sociology from Cornell, and due to my husband’s work (he teaches at the Univ. of MD), I have often been able to travel with him to various projects he’s worked on and have been to about 45 different countries. I speak English and 5 words of French, German, Italian, Spanish, and am better in Portuguese since we lived in Brasil for about 3 years.
                            I have quite a large…and possibly shameful…stash of fabrics, much of which is in shoeboxes against the wall in the living/dining room.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                              Hillbillyhike commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Welcome! The videos are great and so are the folks here in this forum.
                          Working...
                          X