Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

I am now going to bed way too late because all of you ladies are so interesting and wonderful. What lives you live!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi. Guess I will chime in here. My name is Marilyn. Been married to my wonderful DH for almost 23 yrs. (2nd marriage). I have 1 DD and 3 SC. The loves of my life though are my 3 amazing grand children, 2 girls 10 & 6, and my most handsome little man, that will be 4 the end of July. I have been quilting off and on for a long time. Really got back in to it about 11 yrs ago, when I made my oldest DG a quilt when she was born. Kept at it pretty steady till right after GS was born. As many of you know, shortly after he was born, my entire world was changed. I didn't quilt anything for almost 3 yrs. OK not quite true. I made him a rag quilt out of his receiving blankets that he used when he was in the hospital the first time. Just got back into it again about a year ago, after my mom passed away. ( I was lead to do it) Not long after that I was looking at tuts and found Jenny. Well that was instant love, and then found this place. God sent me here too. I was making quilts to donate to the hospital that saved my grand son, and the amazing Jean Sewing Machine, (we both live in the St. Louis area) offered to help. That was the beginning of my mission. Just this past November, with the help of many wonderful folks on here, I was able to donate 47 quilts to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital PICU. I now have a group ( you need to check it out) that currently has 32 members that are making quilts to donate. This forum has been a true blessing to me. I have made some wonderful friends, and have gained a wealth of knowledge. I had never machine quilted until I joined this forum. Now I do, and still learning FMQ. I can't wait to meet so many of my quilting friends when we visit M*QC in Oct. Hang around here long enough, and you will be blessed too
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

3. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renate View Post
    I hope it is ok to translate monimoni:
    She would like to join the forum, but does not speek english that well. Short time ago she found out that quilting brngs alot of fun.
    She is 52 years old, has 2 adult sons and a very patient husband. She works as cosmetics and podology. She sends regards from bad vilbel, germany.
    So happy to have her and that you can translate for her!

Who wants to be next?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, My name is Sandy and I am pretty new to this forum also.
    I have 5 children, three are birth children and adult and the last two are blessings through adoption. I home school our two youngest which is a pretty much full time job. Our oldest is in a power chair from a car accident and I am his personal attendant. That is several hrs in each day also. I love my home and my family and would not be anywhere else.
    I have just reciently felt the freedom to start looking at quilting once again. I made and finished a table runner for my precious daughter in law for Christmas and I am now working on a snuggle size quilt for my oldest daughter. I also just purchase fabric for my two youngest for snuggle quilts. My quilting time is once in a while in the evenings and hopefully a few hrs on the week end. I am still working at getting my sewing area to where it is really workable but with the help of my husband it is coming along.

I have gained so much from the group already. I am totally thankful that I found all of you.
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

6. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I will go next. My name is Vicki and I am 46 years old. Been married 6 1/2 years to the greatest man (2nd marriage). I have 2 grown daughters, 25 and 23, with 2 good SIL's and his two daughters are 20 and 16. I have the most awesome 21 month old grandson who I think is perfect in every way. I work full time as an assistant to my supervisor in a large company and love my job. I have too many hobbies that keep me busy with never enough time to do it all. I love to garden (flowers and veggies), draw pencil portraits, play in my koi pond (hence my user name), I love to fish and hunt with my DH, remodel the house, build more gardens, play with the grandson, and drag large rocks home for more gardening projects. And now, I am working on adding another hobby : QUILTING. I have enough projects/patterns in my head and on my iPhone and not enough fabric or time to do them all. But that's okay, because for now, I am having fun and picking up fabrics when the budget allows and hitting the Goodwill store and cutting up the clothes. So off I go for some sleep, so I can do it all again tomorrow. Cheers to all.

8. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy newcomers!

My name is Ryan, I like romantic candle lit dinners and long walks on the beach... ...wait, this isn't supposed to be that kind of introduction. Okay then...

I am actually still new as well but I have been solidly bitten by the quilting bug. My wife and I (yeah, I'm a guy) quilt together at our home in Maryland. I'm 27, currently no kids or pets. Professionally I am a horticulturist and plant scientist. I manage a research greenhouse and a plant transformation lab. In my free time I have about a dozen other hobbies including gardening, small engine repair, canning/preserving, and metalwork.

My current sewing machine is a Husqvarna-Viking Sapphire 835 which I just purchased. I also own a Brother xl2600i. In the next couple months I hope to take ownership of a mid 1900's Singer treadle machine that belonged to my Great-grandmother. I hope to restore it and learn to sew on it as well.

Here is a picture of Mrs. HandsomeRyan and I wrapped up in our first quilt we made together...

The entire quilt can be seen @ http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...8693578956.jpg

Welcome! I think you'll find this to be a great place full of friendly and helpful people who genuinely want to see you produce the finest possible fabric crafts. Also: Be sure to check out the "Groups" tab. We are still looking for more participants in the "Patriotic Irish Chain Block Swap" and this is a great way to start making friends here!
    Loosely based on a true story.

10. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am having so much fun reading all the post. I have a journal book and I have screen names then I put in the real name and some little information about the person. For instance the ones I have received things from I have their addresses in there. If I know someone's birthday I will put that too. Lots of interesting things to know!

Ryan...since you are a horticulturist and plant scientist can you tell me how the heck to grow a garden in my ROCKS! LOL this Missouri Ozark ground is not the best for gardening. I think this year I am going to try a straw bale garden. If I can find the straw bales.

Renate.. Please tell monimoni that I said hello and welcome to the forum.

Since when we sign on the site opens up to the Activity Stream and not the forum page, where if you scroll to the bottom will tell us if it is someone's birthday.....How about making a banner on the Activity Stream page: At the top of the page with birthdays. I forget to go to the forum page and look. We don't have to know the year.....just the month and day. It is always nice to hear Happy Birthday.

Oh and this should be a sticky thread!
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

12. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63, Cat n bull thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mimi9411 View Post
    Hi, my name is Donna, I am a 68 year old widow. I have 2 daughters and 2 grandchildren. I was a baker and cook at our V.A. Hospital,in Marion Ill.When my husband passed and after I retired , I needed something to do to keep me busy, so I bought a embroidery machine from my local quilt shop. They gave free lessons on how to use the machine,and after seeing some of the beautiful quilts they had made I decided to take a quilting class. My first quilt was Trip Around The World. It was a lap quilt after making this I was hooked. I then found MSQC and just loved Jennys tutorials and videos.I have been quilting for about 5 years and really still consider myself a newbie to quilting. I have learned so much from this forum and all the lovely people on here. So, now I enjoy trying out some of the projects that Jenny shows in her videos. When I am in my sewing room, my 13 year old poodle "Brody" is right at my feet , guess he must be the quilting police.lol
    I have a Brody too and he also likes to lay by my feet while I sew and quilt.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go next!

My name is Cathy and I have been with my husband Eric since we were 12 years old. Eric and I are 44. He became my best friend when we were 10 and he played soccer with my brother and my dad was their coach. We started dating when we were 12. He is still my best friend. We got married when we were 20 and our son was almost 4. We have 2 daughters also, 21 and 18 years old now. My 18 year old has a son, he is 2 and is the LIGHT of our lives! AMAZING how much we adore that child! Who knew grandkids were so awesome?!?

Eric and I decided before our 2nd child was even conceived that we wanted our children to be raised by me and not by strangers, so I quit working outside the home before our daughter was born and have never gone back. I was in college at the time studying early childhood education to be a preschool teacher. I worked for the public schools at a special ed school. He promised me that he would support our family if I would take care of our children the way WE wanted them cared for, and he has always kept that promise, no matter what it took for him to do it.

So I don't have a 'career'. I took care of our kids, and when they started school, I volunteered at their schools. I was very involved in helping kids read, I worked a LOT with the ESL kids, (Jean- amazing we share that AND costuming!!). When my girls went to a private school, I was one of the 3 parents that ran the library. Being a volunteer meant I never had to choose between job and family, and I loved it that way.

When our son was 2, we were told he was 'brain damaged'. We were only 18 years old, we packed up and moved to New England to be with Eric's family and closer to Boston's children's hospital. He was diagnosed with cerebral palsey, and although it is very mild it is still a lifelong challenge for him. He is 27 now.

I started sewing when we moved to MA. I mostly made stuffed animals, muslin goats and bunnies with long pretty dresses and furry teddy bears . I had so much fun! I made clothes for me for a while, but the REAL fun began when my daughter was born. I LOVE girly frilly pretty dresses, and so did she. Sewing for girls became my escape, and since we had no money, it helped a lot to keep her in awesome clothes for very little money. I also sold wool capes and matching hats once a year around Christmastime, along with some muslin animal dolls.

My girls started competitive dancing, which is EXTREMELY expensive, and I started sewing the competition teams costumes to pay for their dance. I did that for several years. They both went to a performing arts high school so I sewed costumes for the school too. Volunteer of course ;-) Once they got to high school and had proms to to go, I made their prom dresses, and a few of their friends to help pay for the materials for theirs.

Now that both girls have graduated, I am DONE with costumes! I do not miss the pressure and deadlines AT ALL. Now I just sew what I WANT to sew, which is such a wonderful change after all those years! I have always loved quilts, and decided to start quilting when looking at a whole closet full of blankets too small for my grandson to use anymore and nothing worth buying big enough to replace them with. I found Jenny's tutorials, and I was hooked!

My constant companion and my therapy to keep me sane is my bulldog, Audrey Hepbull. I have always had dogs, my whole life, but Audrey is a unique character. She is the first dog ever Eric has bonded with. He 'gets it' now why people are head over heels in love with their dogs. She was my 40th birthday present, and my only regret is I wasted 40 years of my life with no bulldog in it! I have the rest of my life to make up for that error. Ms. Hepbull is an only dog, and will stay that way. First time I have ever had just one dog, and I have no desire to share my cuddles with any other dog. She is just indescribably DELIGHTFUL.
    Cathryn

15. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMtnLady View Post
    I
    Ryan...since you are a horticulturist and plant scientist can you tell me how the heck to grow a garden in my ROCKS! LOL this Missouri Ozark ground is not the best for gardening. I think this year I am going to try a straw bale garden. If I can find the straw bales.
    [off topic]
    Raised beds, container garden, hydroponics system, there are many ways you can improve your existing soil or replace it entirely. Good luck!
    [/off topic]
    Loosely based on a true story.