Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Hi, my name is Donna, I am a 68 year old widow. I have 2 daughters and 2 grandchildren. I was a baker and cook at our V.A. Hospital,in Marion Ill.When my husband passed and after I retired , I needed something to do to keep me busy, so I bought a embroidery machine from my local quilt shop. They gave free lessons on how to use the machine,and after seeing some of the beautiful quilts they had made I decided to take a quilting class. My first quilt was Trip Around The World. It was a lap quilt after making this I was hooked. I then found MSQC and just loved Jennys tutorials and videos.I have been quilting for about 5 years and really still consider myself a newbie to quilting. I have learned so much from this forum and all the lovely people on here. So, now I enjoy trying out some of the projects that Jenny shows in her videos. When I am in my sewing room, my 13 year old poodle "Brody" is right at my feet , guess he must be the quilting police.lol

2. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

These are great! Let's keep this going -

next...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, my name is Robin and I live in Effingham, Illinois. I am newly retired and look forward to doing much more quilting. I learned to quilt in my high school home economics class. Last year I happened upon an oak quilt frame for $20.00!!! I'm just finishing up hand quilting a queen size quilt I embroidered for my son and his wife. Hopefully I will have it done for their six month anniversary in March!! When it's complete I will post pictures. I have pieced a couple other quilts but have sent them out to be machine quilted. I am the mother of three children, 26, 24 and 20. My husband and I will be celebrating our 50th birthdays this year, as well as our 30th wedding anniversary. An Alaskan Cruise just got booked to celebrate!!!

I have found this website to be very addicting! Thank you all for your support, and for sharing your knowledge.

5. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Donna and Robin from Arizona.

Donna your First quilt was a Trip Around The World, that should make you ready to tackle anything! aww Brodie helps you focus on sewing? It is great to have a sewing buddy :-)

Robin We spent a lovely Week in Effingham this past summer there is a lovey Motor Home park. Congratulations on Celebrating your 50th Birthdays And 30 years of marriage with a cruise - that sounds so lovely.

Welcome and hope to see quilts in the Show and Tell!
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just have to say, I'm really enjoying reading this thread and getting to know a little more.

Renate, you have a great idea, copying everyone's real name with their user name. I'm going to have to take some time and do the same thing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to bump this up. It is a fantastic thread. It is so much fun to read all of our stories and it feels like we comming togheter a bit closer!

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I am Teresa. Called by my middle name, Diann until I was 13, when upon entering middle school, I decided I was my first name Teresa. It suits me just fine. That was only the beginning of the changes I would make to reinvent myself throughout life.

As the oldest child of a single parent during a time when it was not really vogue to be a divorcee, I began working by sweeping floors in a bicycle sales and repair shop, a lawn mower sales and repair shop, and a candy manufacturer and sales store. Guess which one I liked to sweep the most? I was 10 then and the Goodart Peanut Patty Co. was always my last stop. Mr. Goodart always gave me a bag of broken peanut patty pieces (say that 10 times real fast!) on Friday when he paid me. Each shop paid me $1 a day and I could sweep all 3 every afternoon, bringing home $15 in cash a week.

Guess what I bought with my weekly earnings? Fabric. Mom sewed all of my clothes for school and church on a Brothers sewing machine that she bought on credit through the finance company, paying installments of $10 a month. The machine had decorative stitches and EVERYTHING she made had some stitching with varigated thread. Mom loved those varigated threads as do I to this day. In fact, I think the thread and the quilting we use is as important as the beautiful fabrics we choose.

My first sewing lessons were from Mom at the age of 10, but her first lessons were about cutting out the pattern. I wanted none of that! Just let me at that machine that puts it all together! Some of that impatient 10 year old remains today, which is why I buy so many pre-cuts--well knowing that buying the yardage and cutting it is so much more economical--but I just can't wait! I've already been charmed by the jelly rolls, honey buns and layer cakes! The design is in my head--in fact the quilt there is already complete, followed by the next layer cake wanting to be cut.

Currently, I am having an affair. It's a secret from my husband that I pay $200 for 4 hours with a long arm quilting machine. I'm seeking a long term relationship with a long arm, but my husband says he will have to build it a room! I say what could be the harm in that? Honey, if you build it, the quilts will come! I will give you back your library where I have removed all of your books so that I can have space for my neatly folded fabrics that call out to me each time I pass by.

Thirty-four years ago I married and have four children from 34-9 (2 boys/2 girls) (yes, the numbers are correct and that is another story.) Two children are still at home, ages 12 & 9. I have 5 grandchildren, ages 13, 9, 7, & 5 (3 boys & 1 girl). After a few years in banking, I went to cosmetology school and was a full-time hairdresser and owner for 15 years. The last five years of owning the salon, I attended night courses at the local junior college earning my A. A. It was at that time that I sold my salon and went full time to University of TX at San Antonio, earning my BA in English Literature/Education. I taught 10th grade English for 10 years until I could stand it no more! Enough said . . .

In my spare time, (LOL) I love to travel, draw, paint, read, crochet, collect art, go to the theater, watch hummingbirds, catch a glimpse of the owl that roosts in the big oak tree, and stand as still as I can hoping that a deer will not notice me and stay a moment longer and of course quilt.

I sing 2nd soprano and have had the great honor of singing in Carnegie Hall with the San Antonio Mastersingers, the largest volunteer choir on the planet. I play the violin and have one HUGE regret in life--that I did not take advantage of the full music scholarship to Texas Tech in 1973, but choose to go find myself instead.

I learned to quilt from my mother-in-law who was my mentor until her death 8 years ago.I put quilting aside after her death and took it back up this past summer when my father-in-law died. After we cleaned out my husbands boyhood home, I inherited MILs fabric stash, UFOs, sewing machine, and tons of pattern books by Georgia Bonesteel (perhaps every hardbound copy ever printed while MIL was alive.) Quilting has been like a warm reunion with an estranged lover. I have indeed, found myself, again. This is where I am supposed to be. This is where I am most fulfilled. In my sewing room.
    Last edited by MrsT2u; February 11th, 2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: clarify statement
    --Only God can make the perfect quilt, all others he left for me.

10. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, koigirl thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I am Lisa from Normal, IL and I am new to the forum and fairly new to quilting. I am 46 and have been married for 26 years and have one son who is 21. He is moving out to go to college and I have plans for his room to turn it into a sewing room. I currently am using part of a spare bedroom, that is also our "office".

I have done lots of crafts through the years, some of which were fabric based - the plates with the fabric decopauged (spelling?) on the back, etc. My Grandma taught me to crochet when I was little. She also made me lots of clothes for my Barbies - I still have them. They included hats and boots to match! Now that I have done some sewing, I understand how much time and effort was put into those projects! I loved them at the time, but I love them even more now! I still have her sewing machine - that she repaired with electrical tape.

I have a baby lock embroidery/sewing machine - that I bought for the embroidery. The sewing part scared me for the first couple of years, but now I mostly sew. I have not figured out how to quilt on my machine - I have done some quilt as you go projects and some stitch in the ditch, but the free motion is a skill I just can't seem to conquer - I don't want to "ruin" a quilt top with my amatuer quilting. So, when I did a fairly large quilt for my 2 yr old nephew, I took a class at a local place to learn how to use the long arm with a computerized portion - it was fun and turned out great! Now I have a large tumbler pieced for his baby sister that I need to schedule time on the long arm.

I am totally addicted to fabric and quilting! This forum is great! The list of quilt patterns I want to try just keeps growing every time I look at Show and Tell. Lisa

12. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All! My name is Bernadette and I will be 45 years young this year. I am originally from Upper Sandusky, Ohio. I grew up on a sheep farm with 4 brothers. I learned to quilt by watching my grandmother. I started sewing at age 4 years and I made my very first quilt top (on my own) in the 8th grade with scraps, old clothes and remnants purchased from the local Ben Franklin. Still have it and it is still not quilted. The ultimate UFO, just can't bring myself to finish it. Maybe someday...
    After high school, I attended The Ohio State University for undergraduate and medical school. Then completed residency in Pediatrics at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. Met my DH while in Houston and we have been married for 14 years this year and have 3 wonderful children ages 12, 10 & 8. DH has been very supportive of my quilting for which I am very lucky! I have made quilts for most of my nieces and nephews (27 and counting) as well as for various charities. Unfortunately, I have rarely taken pictures of completed quilts which I now regret!
    I am a lover of all quilt styles and colors. I love traditional piecing, as well as paper & foundation piecing and applique. Have done more machine applique than hand applique due to time constraints with working and motherhood. I also really enjoy making miniature quilts & doll quilts! Scappy patchworks have a special place in my heart as well!
    Love fabric shopping too much! Will share one crazy story in regards to that...DH is a petroleum engineer and was stationed in Antwerpen for 6 months shortly after we were married. Flew over to visit him and one day on self guided walk through the city I found this quaint little quilt shop. After spending several hours in the store, I made my purchases thinking of how cool it was to have Belgian fabrics! Before I left, I struck up a conversation with the owner of this sweet little shop. After telling her I was from Houston, TX, she laughed and said ""that is funny, because everything you just purchased was from Houston, TX! I purchased them while at the International Quilt Show in Houston last year!"
    Happy Quilting!

14. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, Kathy63, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

hahaha You can take the gal out of Texas but... Loved reading about your Fantastic Foreign fabric from Houston :-)

Debbie
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.