Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Welcome Newbies!

My name is Fannie and I have lived ALL of my life in Southern Maine. I joined the forum September of 2012 and have learned alot from these wonderful talented ladies. I have been married 32 years this August. I have 2 wonderful sons 29 and 25 and 2 grandsons almost 3 years old and 8 months. I have always done crafts of some sort. I LOVE Quilting! I have been quilting since last July and have made 8 quilts 5 which have been Rag Quilts, so those really don't count. I try to sew nearly everyday. I find it to be a stress reliever.
    I recently got back in the swing of doing Craft Fairs after taking a break from it for 15 years. Its so much fun!

We have a West Highland Terrier named Dunkin. He is a GREAT little dog with SO much character, he is a clown. We love him SO much!! This is the first time in a long time that we don't have 2 dogs. We lost our Chocolate lab after Thanksgiving last year

My husband and I also love to travel. We never had the $$ when the kids were young. So we have alot of making up to do. I just started flying in 2006. My husband thought I would never fly. I don't LOVE flying but you can see alot of beautiful places that way.

Gardening is another passion of mine. We moved to our recent home 1 1/2 years ago and it was a blank slate. We are adding lots of gardens. We also have a veggie garden. Right now it seems like gardening will be a LONG ways away with the 30+ inches of snow we just got. I guess I will have to quilt then

Next

Fannie

Live each day as if it were your last!

2. Thanks lb1kenobie, HdWench thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Me! I'll be next! Hi Everyone! I am Theda and I am 57 and a legal assistant. I am a quilt addict and fabric is my crack. I can’t get enough of quilting. Like Suzyq, I eat, sleep, breathe quilting. I have five sons and I used to sew a lot of their clothes but quit when I went back to school and got my degree at age 40. I started quilting 2 years ago when I learned my first grandchild (after 2 miscarriages) was on the way and haven’t looked back. I have been divorced since 2003 after 27 years of marriage and now have a wonderful enabling DBF who loves to go to quilt shows with me. He is always there to say, “Sugg, here’s some fabric you just have to get!” and he is always right! You have to love an enabler. I am only on here off and on due to work, but this is the place to be if you need questions answered or need support or need a light-hearted moment. Quilters have the best humor. Next.....
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

4. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, my name is Sherry i am new to quilting and to this forum. I live in St. Louis MO. I work at a cancer center as a RN. I have four children age 24 to 36 and four grandchildren. My two daughters and 2 year old grandson live with me so my sewing area is a small corner of my bedroom which is good as it keeps me from buying to much fabric. I have made one lap quilt, a rag quilt and a quilted tree skirt from the tutorials by Jenny. I am now trying to make a queen size quilt for one of my sons, I am trying to make it in four sections so i can quilt it on my sewing machine and then connect the sections together, I hope this works out. I visit this forum daily and learn something new, thanks for all the helpful info.

6. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Who would like to be next?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!! Such a good idea! I have so enjoyed learning about all of you! I introduced myself the other day in the newbie forum, but not nearly with as much detail as all of this. I feel compelled...

My name is Mary. I am 49 and live in Strafford, MO with my hubby and 2 children. My oldest Zach is 20, living at home going to college and working parttime. My daughter, Alex is 18 and a senior in high school. (I have everything from A to Z) We have a cute yellow lab named jake and a new little kitty named Sheldon (yep, we love Big Bang theory here). I have spent the last 32 years working for our local Steak 'n Shake, started when I was 17 as a server and have moved myself thru the organization and currently oversee 2 of our locations one in Springfield and one in Lebanon.

I suddenly found this past year, with my children growing up and not needing their mama as much anymore, an incredible amount of time on my hands. Unfortunately I am a smoker and that's not a good position to be in. Cause if I wasn't smokin I was eating...both self destructive. Anyhow, I wandered into a local quilt shop and had an incredible sense of peacefulness come over me. So I signed up for classes and am fully addicted. I have made one wall hanging, a queen quilt top ( that I haven't backed and quilted yet) a twin size log cabin that I have completed and I am sooooo proud of, a purse and I am currently working on a 54x54 quilt.

Thanks for the thread!

Mary (and sometime soon I will have something inspirational here, lol)
    Missouri
    Last edited by Mpyles; February 9th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

9. Thanks Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    I love making jelly roll race quilts, so I've been dubbed the Jelly Roll Queen by someone on this forum.
    Don't forget your other nickname, "Chuck Norris" Jean puts her quilts together so quickly that I've come to the conclusion that she is NOT Jean, but is in fact Chuck Norris. She doesn't have to sew or quilt, she just takes one menacing look at her stash and all of the fabrics stitch themselves together out of fear

Quote Originally Posted by Wwena View Post
    There's such a thing as the universal language.
    You mean money? Nah, don't have enough of that to get me very far either lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

11. Thanks Rekmeh, Wwena thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi my name is Monique and I live in a tiny little village in the province of Quebec, Canada where everyone knows your name. I have been married for 31 years. I have two sons, aged 28 and 25 both married to wonderful women. I have one natural granddaughter, almost 3 and one already-made almost 10. I came here by way of Jenny, like most of you, when I did not know how to bind a quilt. My first real quilt was started with a magazine that I liked at the time. Once I got the top put together I went to see a neighbour of ours who just turned 104 in December, and asked her to show me what to do with this quilt. She helped me set it up at my mother's at the time and the three of us hand quilted. It did not take long to do. Mother did not quilt much as she had once been told she was no good at it. I got it home and bound but did not do such a terrific job. As soon as Philip found out that Oma had helped me quilt it, he claimed it for his own. That was in 2007. I just repaired it not too long ago (I used whatever fabric I had here at the time). That is when I searched the internet for help with binding. I came upon Jenny's tutorial and found that I could do it after all. Took a lot of practice but I don't have to watch her video any more. LOL!! I joined here and have not looked back. I have met such wonderful and helpful people. (I missed the drama too from the other day). I have made friends here from all walks of life, from near and some very far reaching places.

I can get pretty long-winded as you can tell. I hope all you newbies enjoy here as much as I do. Take a minute to say hello once in a while and please don't be strangers.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

13. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hiiii Everyone......I guess I'm up next!

Hi, I'm Judy and I'll warn you in advance, I love to talk. I just had my 68th birthday and I've been married to my first and last love for 52 years. We have been blessed with two daughters, one son, two sons in law and one daughter in law. They've doubly blessed us with two wonderful granddaughters, two amazing grandsons and the most gorgeous, wonderful, talented, handsome, sweet, brilliant (well you get the idea) great-grandson in the world. We are expecting a new grandbaby in the fall.

DH was in the Air Force for 26 years and we were lucky enough to spend 10 of those years in Hawaii. The rest were spent in North Carolina and California. We are both retired now and live in central California about 45 minutes from our son, DIL and two of our precious grandchildren. We spend as much time as we can visiting the rest of our family, moved to Alabama several years ago.

My maternal grandmother was a quilter, but more out of necessity than enjoyment. Most of her quilts were tied, but I remember as a small child, going with her to her church's sewing circle. I was fascinated by all of the tiny stitches those ladies made as we children ran around and got in their way. Mother was an amazing seamstress, quilter, gardener and cook. She taught me to sew when I was a teenager and I made clothes for myself, my children and grandchildren for lots of years. I remember when our daughters were young... maybe 4 and 6 years old... I could make their dresses using only 1 yard of fabric. I even made their pajamas and loved every minute of it.

When my daughters moved to Alabama, they became interested in quilting and tried to entice me to join them during my visits. I admired their quilts but for some reason (now I have no idea what that reason was) I just wasn't interested. On my 65th birthday, I opened the box they'd sent and found a rotary cutter, cutting mat, ruler, a copy of Pam and Nicky Lintott's book.. Jelly Roll Quilts.....and about 9 yards of really pretty lavender, green, and cream fabric. I admired it and put it in the closet... still not really excited about quilting. After a few days, I felt guilty, so i read the book and looked online for quilt patterns. That afternoon, I found Jenny's tutorials and the Missouri Star Quilt Companies website. The rest, as they say ... is history. I've made more than 20 quilts.... 10 or so table runners.... many totes.... and pin cushions etc. My hubby still says that gift the 'girls' gave me has cost him a small fortune. I have a new Baby Lock... and 2 closets full of fabric. He goes shopping with me... and is very proud of anything I made. As I said in the beginning, I've been very blessed.

My first quilt was from the Jelly Roll Quilts book and the pattern is called Sparkling Gems ( I think). The sashing was supposed to be 2 1/2" wide and my blocks were so wonky... I had to trim them down to about 1 1/2" just to get them to fit together. I stuffed that quilt in a drawer. I watched every tutorial Jenny produced .. many times over... and feeling like I'd learned my lessons... (WRONG!!!) and purchased fabric for another quilt. That one was at least good enough to take to the LQS to be quilted. When I picked up the quilt, I was so thrilled, so excited and proud... I practically ran to the phone to call Jenny. I didn't even consider that she was busy running a business….I just dialed the phone and asked for her. When she came to the phone, I felt foolish for bothering her but she was so gracious and understanding of my excitement. We talked about 10 minutes and she made me feel totally relaxed and comfortable. I LOVE JENNY... she's such an amazing lady. I still watch every tutorial Jenny makes and I’ve made lots of her quilts.

I'm so impressed by the entire Doan family!! They are a wonderful example of what a loving, hard working devoted family can accomplish. They really are the American Dream and I wish them love, health and joy. I'm sure you agree they have brought us all so much joy

Thanks for staying through this long and rambling bio. I loved reading all of your bios… thank you for sharing them with me.

15. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63, alliek, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is fun reading!

Who's next?

17. Thanks HdWench thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    I'm Liz, and very often dizzy LOL. I'm 49, married to my wonderful DH 33 years in July. I have 2 daughters, 20 and 31. My Mom taught me to sew as a child. Oh the projects we have done. I was always intrigued by quilting, but had never done it. In October 2011 my youngest moved out on her own. I had BAD empty nest syndrom. I raised my 2 girls, a niece, and 2 nephews....honestly I've been helping raise children my whole life....I was devastated. It was like having a job i loved, and after 30 years being fired. I had no idea what to do with myself. I was surfing the net and came across Jenny's tuts......I think I watched them all over a weekend LOL. I was hooked. I turned my upstairs loft into a sewing studio.......that was so fun........now it takes up the entire upstairs LOL. I am in love for the second time in my life....DH and now quilting LOL. I work as a senior Pharmacy Tec, and my job gets very stressful, my studio is my haven. My DH is so wonderful and supportive....he can tell when I need sewing time......with a gentle nudge he will say, Baby, let all this stuff wait, go upstairs for awhile. He is even so excited about my October trip, claims I'm going to Paducah and MSQ no matter what. See why i love him so.

Liz

Next.........

19. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post