Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Welcome to our newbies! So glad you joined us!

Jeanne

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, my name is Carol. I am a native Hoosier but have lived in Milwaukee and in Downingtown, PA for brief periods of time. In 2011 I moved to California, near San Diego.

I have been making quilt tops for many years but there is always so much to yet learn. Nowadays I make quilt tops for 2 Prayers and Squares Quilt Ministry groups so I like the tops to be fairly easy and fairly small. I appreciate the tutorials on this site for giving me lots of ideas for new designs.

As for my personal life, I am single again and this year I turned 75. I have 3 adult sons, 1 teenage grandson and 2 little granddaughters. Only one son & his son live close by. I miss being able to see the long-distance families as often as I would like.

My mom & aunt crocheted. I learned how to knit in college. Then I began to do different forms of embroidery. Counted cross stitch was my passion for many, many years. I also sewed clothing for myself and for my boys. All those forms of handwork have been pretty much set aside for now -- mainly because of having arthritis in my hands. I am amazed at how I can still use a rotary cutter & make as many quilt tops as I do to bless people in need.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Carol and welcome to the forum from Michigan! There are many here who wear different "hats" and make all kinds of things. So happy you've joined us!

Attachment 154611

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Iím Beth and Iíve been quilting for about 2 years. I love it and all the new friends Iíve made! Iím hooked. Iíve decided it is time to upgrade my sewing machine. I donít want to spend more that 7 or 800.00 I think. Iíve been looking at the Bernina 330 se. not sure if I should get it, or wait til Iím ready to spend lots more and get a quilting edition like the570 qe. Iíve done my quilting on a friendís long arm, but would like to be able to quilt small projects like a runner on the new machine. Does anyone have the 330 se or have any suggestions? Iím not completely hooked on a Bernina either. Is that the best brand? help!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish leo View Post
    Hi

I am Annika and i am from Sweden, you know , where ABBA and BjŲrn Borg and Roxette are from! Lol!!

I have been quilting now for almost 1 year and a half. My elder sister got me hooked on the summer 2011.
    I too find this forum thrue internet and Jennys tutorial. I joined in feb 2012 and has never looked back!

I have 2 beautiful teenages girls and 2 small dogs and 2 cats and a fulltime work. I am 43 years old.

I know of only one more person that quilt on this forum that is from Sweden and you bet i was suprised when i found out that she is from the same town as me!

Well that was a bit about me.

Welcome all newbies!
    Hi Swedish Leo: I am a newbie just registered today, and am making my way through 6-year-old introductions. I just moved your serenity prayer and have copied it to share with others. Thank you.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Winniesfriend View Post
    Hi I am Leonie, I am 55 years old and have been married to my Husband Trevor for 35 years now, we have 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls, aged between 26 -34, 2 DIL and 1 SIL, I also have a 4 year old grand daughter. I work 4 days a week in a busy emergency department as a Registered Nurse. I was born and bred in South Australia and I cant imagine living any where else, we live about half an hour away from the Barossa Valley which is a lovely wine growing area.

I started quilting last year and an now well and truly hooked, I have a ridiculous amount of fabric which I now have to use up.. well make a dent in any way. I have always done some sort of craft or another, I used to sew when the children were younger but I did not do any for a long time, but I took it up again to make some clothes from my grand daughter. I bought an embroidery machine so I could make some cute items, I then decided I needed someplace to put the embroidered pictures so I started to make quilts, the quilt in my Avatar is my first quilt which I made for my DGD.
    Hi Leonie: I am a newbie just getting to know everyone by going through 6 years of "Introduce yourself to the newbie" posts. I noticed everyone has a neat saying or quote at the end of their posts. I love yours! Too true. :-)

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, as it is here in England. I'm Nancy and have been quilting since the early 1980s - goodness, how time flies. I'm married to Peter, we have two sons, two ds-i-l and four grandchildren - all of whom have their own special, well travelled quilts. They won't go anywhere without them and, yes, there's been a lot of mending.

I live in a small village of 90 residents atop the Cotswold Hills where we overlook a valley - beautiful in any weather. I am the only quilter in the village so finding this site means I now belong to a lovely quilting community which seems to have world wide appeal.

My fabric stash has slowly diminished as there always has to be something under the needle, whether it be hand or machine sewn. There are two machines in my small sewing space - a 21 year old Bernina 1260QE in a Horn cabinet and a tiny 51 year old, preloved Elna Stellar; I free machine embroider as well as piece and quilt. Have tried all kinds of quilting genre but am drawn to the more traditional designs as am very much a reader of the history of quilt making and the women who made them. My "go to" quilting book (even after all these years) is Fons and Porter's Quilter's Complete Guide - am now on my third copy (with sticky notes all through) as the other two fell to bits - sellotape just couldn't hold them together. I love learning new ways to do things so finding the Missouri Star Quilt tutorials on Youtube was perfect. Have already made four of the zippered pouches, sometimes things capture your imagination and become an obsession. Like quilting which hooked me with the first stitch. I stitch while listening to classical music. I love to laugh, finding amusement in the most absurd things - fortunately I have a quilting friend who shares the same sense of humour and we are often found in heaps, tears rolling, breathless, pink faced. Inelegant but oh so necessary.

I feel as though I've been sewing my whole life as my mother sat me at her Singer machine when I was 4 years old - sewing machines have been part of my life since although am one for cross stitching samplers. My family heave a sigh of relief when I get the knitting needles out and know I'm not knitting for them. I recently knitted a cardigan which, when laid on a double bed, the wrist welts were practically on the floor. Not great with tension, as you can tell.

Thank you for this lovely site and the generosity of the Youtube tutorials which led me here.
    Last edited by NancyR; September 26th, 2018 at 05:46 AM.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago when I bought my Bernina they were the Rolls Royce of machines - still are in some ways. Other manufacturers have caught up now, I think, but my suggestion would be to go to your nearest machine shop with a lot of squares of plain fabric (some sandwiched if you're to quilt) and try them out - plain because you can see the stitches more clearly. What suits one person may not suit another. Good luck. I envy you all the years ahead in the quilting world.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Melissa. I live in the USA. I'm 46 married 20 years with one daughter. I'm new to quilting, not even a year. I'm just fixing to finish my second quilt and boy do I have a lot to learn.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida!
    Katrina

ďNothing can dim the light which shines from within.Ē
    ― Maya Angelou