Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Hi

My name is Jane and I've been happily married to Clive for nearly 43 years (I'm 65). We have two children - our daughter is married with 2 daughters of her own and lives in Adelaide while our son is unmarried and lives in the UK. We emigrated here 16 months ago to be nearer our daughter and see more of the grandchildren (but that's another story!) Our son has just been over for a 6 week holiday - his first time Australia.

With a new country, new lifestyle and very different weather I decided it was time for a new hobby. Our house has a large rumpus room which I planned to use for card making and scrapbooking and also teach a few classes. I ran 8 classes then, as I passed my local quilting and patchwork shop for the 10th time, I plucked up courage and walked in and booked a beginners course - the rest is history. I've hardly made another card or done any scrapbooking but at the last count I have completed over 30 projects in less than 10 months (and there are quite a few UFO's hidden in drawers now).

Poppytree was my nickname on several other craft forums - I lived in a Spinney (hence the trees) with a huge flower border of bright red poppies!

I discovered this forum by accident when looking for online tuition and have been inspired by Jenny's tutorials and all the wonderful pictures submitted by other members. I love reading all the posts on here but sometimes miss a few because of the time differences.

Clive bought me a sewing machine for my birthday last year and it is getting well used. Although I started with traditional blocks I soon moved on to pre-cuts and now tend to prefer modern designs. I love applique and am really getting into FMQ. There are so many things I want to make but, even though I'm retired and have more free hours than some folk on here, there still aren't enough hours in the day.

(Leoni and I are both near Adelaide in South Australia - she is about 25 miles north of the city and I'm 15 miles south of the CBD)
    Last edited by Poppytree; February 9th, 2013 at 06:51 AM.

2. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all! I'm a quilting fanatic, as in eat, sleep, breathe quilting! What a life! I was born and raised here in Ottawa, having never lived anywhere else..oh boring but consistent me. Have a wonderful hubby who supports me in everything I do, makes meals, cleans, etc. and loves to shop! Oh lucky me! I've been keen on crafts since childhood but sporadically as the teen years were rough and other interests came into my life. 13 yeArs ago I lost all sight in left eye and now left with only partial in right. I still enjoy all my crafts and other hobbies, gardening, genealogy, zumba classes and more...the support and encouragement from friends and DH keep me going. I retired in 2010 after 37 straight years of work and wonder how I managed to escape with any degree of sanity. Sooo am happily doing everything i finally get to do...also love our 3 kitties, one has special needs, and another is 16 yrs old. We treat them like kids, but it's so much fun! welcome to,the forum you newbies... You'll have a great time here, learn lots and laugh lots too!

4. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As you all can guess mamaquilt is not my real name.

Michèle (French writing) is my first name and I'm nearly 60 yrs. old. Just another month and I'll can get my senior card. I like the advantages of that card, also I don't feel 6o years old. Unfortunately that card only gives me advantages on museums entrances, bus fares, wellness and fitness fares, but not on fabric shoppings and flea markets or even books.

Forgot to tell you that we live in one of the smallest countries of the world; in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Being proud of being a Luxembourger most of us don't want to be either German, French or Belgian. Those countries border the Grand Duchy.

DH and I have been married for 1,2,3,4, ........(still couting) 38 years and we have 2 daughters (36 and 32 yrs) as well as a boy (34), plus one granddaughter of 14 years and a grandson 4 months old.

I love everything that has to do with crafts. For a detailed information please have a look in my album. At the same time I love reading as well as travelling. But only since the kids are out of the house.

Quilting is maybe not my first love, but since belonging to this forum it really got me interested more and more. As a devoted "recycler" of nearly everything, my stash of fabric as well as my button stash is growing.

Well instead of reading all the different posts of the forum, might as well go and clean my sewing room before starting on the next project.

Greetings from the Grand Duchy of LuxembourgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	328541_10151385845928901_982696195_o.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	39088

Michèle

6. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi my name is Jean--I am a 69 year old widow with three kids, 6 grandkids and one great granddaughter. I've been sewing since I was a child, following in my mother's footsteps--she was an excellent seamstress. We didn't make quilts, we focused on garment construction and home dec projects. I made all of my kids clothes when they were little, made curtains and drapes for every room in every house I owned, and later in life, began costume making. I became a teacher after 14 years as a stay at home mom, first preschool for 5 years, then elementary school for 18 years, then college for 7-1/2 years, and I just retired as of Dec. 2012. During my elementary school years, I was principal and teacher for a small Catholic school in rural Missouri. During that time, we presented a yearly Christmas pageant, and every child in the school participated. I had a small cadre of helpers, but we made all of the costumes for the students for those pageants, which were very well recieved and loved by parents, grandparents and local townspeople. In 2004, My husband was diagnosed with brain cancer, and while he was going through his treatments, and becoming weaker and weaker, I had to leave my position as principal, move to the big city to be near hospitals and doctors. But during this time, I retrained to be a teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages, known by many acronyms, such as ESL. After I got my certification in teaching English as a Second Language, I headed the ESL department at the local commnity college. the same college where I had started my career to become a teacher 30 years before. I worked there for 15 semesterst until this past December.
    My spouse succumbed to his disease in June, 2006, and a friend offered my the opportunity to costume a small play for one of our local commnity theatre organizations. That one was a good one to break into costuming with, because there rwere only 8 players in the cast. The same friend then offered me the position of costuming "The Music Man", with 55 residents of River City, Iowa to costume! Talk abot a baptism of fire! I was working at the college at the time (part time), but any time I wasn't working, I was sewing cosumes! Got the final person dressed with a costume that fit about 5 minutes before the curtain went up on opening night. As I sat back to enjoy the show, one of the cast members dubbed me Jean, Jean the Sewing Machine--that's where my avatar name came from! Since my first show, I've worked on 38 shows, and am working on my 39th and 40th this spring and summer.

I always said I wanted to become a quilter, and dabbled at it during the past few years as the grandkids started to come along. But it wasn't until fall of 2011 that I made my first bed size quilt, and it went together so well, that I made another, then another, and during that year, I made about 45 quilts. I make one for my own bed for each month, lots and lots of charity quilts, some for family members and friends. I love making jelly roll race quilts, so I've been dubbed the Jelly Roll Queen by someone on this forum.

I love to teach, and in retirement, hope to open a business where I can sell my quilts and other sewing projects, perhaps teach, and with the longarm machine I bought last spring, do a longarm quilting service. I'm shaping my potential business right now, it changes shape on a daily basis. I let God be my guide, He will guide me down the right path.

I love this forum, all the wonderful talented people I've met here, the Doan family, who I've met personally on several occasions. I admire what they have created, their drive and family cohesiveness that makes them and their business very special. I hope to keep our association with them and my forum buddies for many years to come.

Now, I need to go work on reducing the stash! Back to the sewing room!

8. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mamaquilt View Post
    As you all can guess mamaquilt is not my real name.

Michèle (French writing) is my first name and I'm nearly 60 yrs. old. Just another month and I'll can get my senior card. I like the advantages of that card, also I don't feel 6o years old. Unfortunately that card only gives me advantages on museums entrances, bus fares, wellness and fitness fares, but not on fabric shoppings and flea markets or even books.

Forgot to tell you that we live in one of the smallest countries of the world; in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Being proud of being a Luxembourger most of us don't want to be either German, French or Belgian. Those countries border the Grand Duchy.

DH and I have been married for 1,2,3,4, ........(still couting) 38 years and we have 2 daughters (36 and 32 yrs) as well as a boy (34), plus one granddaughter of 14 years and a grandson 4 months old.

I love everything that has to do with crafts. For a detailed information please have a look in my album. At the same time I love reading as well as travelling. But only since the kids are out of the house.

Quilting is maybe not my first love, but since belonging to this forum it really got me interested more and more. As a devoted "recycler" of nearly everything, my stash of fabric as well as my button stash is growing.

Well instead of reading all the different posts of the forum, might as well go and clean my sewing room before starting on the next project.

Greetings from the Grand Duchy of LuxembourgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	328541_10151385845928901_982696195_o.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	39088

Michèle
    Michele, my daughter is named Michele, spelled the same way as yours , not on purpose, but because I made a mistake when filling out the form for her birth certificate! I forgot that most femaile Michelles have two Ls in their their name! She has had to correct people for her whole life! And our last name has two NNs on it, so she has to spell her first and last name for everyone!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musical_Starling View Post
    I knew I recognized the last name, Skarsgård from somewhere, Alexander's Dad, Stellan, was in Pirates of the Caribbean! And you guys have DOLPH LUNDGREN too?!? Girl, you and Annika have been holding out on me! lol That's it, I'm on my way!

Wait, hang on a second. I barely speak English. I don't think Newfinese and Swedish will mix very well... I'll probably just end up talking like Swedish Chef on the Muppets, and I don't think I'll get very far just yelling "Bork! Bork! Bork!" everywhere I go... It's probably not even a word lol Hrm... I may have to rethink my plan... Maybe Sweden can adopt Newfoundland? lol
    There's such a thing as the universal language.
    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Tanya, 43 years young and I live in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada which is about 20 minutes north of Calgary. Steve and I have been married for 20 years and have two wonderful kids. Eric is about to turn 17 and Emma is 12. I work full time as an administrative assistant for a survey company. I've been there for 7 years and love it, for the most part.

I was originally born in Nova Scotia but moved West when my dad was transferred with the Armed Forces. After he retired he worked for an airline so I was quite fortunate as a kid to travel to many places.

I have always done crafts...started with needlepoint and then cross-stitch. I gave that up after Eric was born and didn't do anything crafty for 14 years! I started quilting almost 3 years ago when I saw a rag quilt being raffled off. I loved it and mentioned it to a friend of mine and she informed me she had made several and wouldn't mind teaching me. I borrowed my moms old sewing machine and got to work. For Christmas that year my mom and dad bought me my own machine and I've been happily sewing ever since!

Unfortunately working full time and raising two kids who play sports doesn't afford me as much time as I would like in my sewing room (Eric moved his bedroom into the basement and I made his old room my sewing room) but I have made everyone I love most a quilt including one for myself.

12. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi to all, I Love this forum and reading about the people behind the names, If I ever learn how to post a pic on this Forum I will, I am a techy dummy. I'm 71 years old and live with DH of 49 years and my 97 year old mom. We live in southern central Virginia for seven years. I am originally born and raised and married in NYC and lived and raised our three children in Patchogue Long Island. We moved here when I retired to be closer to my oldest son and his four girls, however, his job then took him north to the DC area so we are about 4 hours from them. I always loved quilts, Lancaster Pa is one of my favorite areas to visit because of the proliferation of Amish quilts to be found there. I loved the colors, the shapes, the intracacies. I never had a lesson and attempted to quilt for many years sporadically. Of course it was always awful, and I got discouraged. Then when we moved here I took my first formal quilt lesson, My eyes were opened and I was excited. Then I found MSQC and Jenny's tutorials and the whole world of quilting opened up. (very dramatic I know LOL). Now I am hooked and love it. My DH is not well and I take care of mom so quilting is my refuge. This forum (as I have repeatedly said) is one of the best. Look at the diverse places and backrounds we have, yet we come here on common ground, excited and open. The world should take note. (I know, I know the drama thing again!)

14. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm learning things about some of the older members that I didn't know. This is a nice thread.
    I have been in Ga since 1987. Before that WV. Been married for 31 years. I have four sons, two DIL, two GK and another on the way. I have been quilting since 88 and you would think one would have it mastered by now. I am still waiting to complete a quilt and tell myself yes I would feel comfortable selling that..lol
    I don't remember how I found this forum but feel so blessed to have done so. I teach at a Catholic Preschool and LOVE my job. I am home everyday by 1 and if I'm not wore out by my four year olds you can find me in my sewing room.
    Patrice

16. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi to all Newbies! My name is Ginny and I live in Levittown, NY. I am 63 and looking forward to retirement from the "regular" work force and then "working" in my sewing room. My DH and I have been married nearly 10 years (2nd marriage) and between us we have 6 children (4 boys - mine; twin girls - his) and one grandson (almost 3 years old) . DH is very supportive of my sewing/crafting interest and is very encouraging.

I am fairly new to quilting but have always liked to craft. I have actually done a lot of sewing in my life and even worked for an interior decorator's workroom where I got very good at making bedskirts, valances and curtains and duvet covers. I have done cross-stitching, scrapbooking, card making, knitting and crocheting and even a bit of wood painting. But I love, love, love quilting and have made a few quilts in my lifetime. Only have a couple here at the house though. I really got back into this hobby searching for an online quilter's group and finding this one. Such wonderful people here. So very encouraging, helpful and loads of fun. And, of course, then I started watching Jenny's tutorials and then I was really back into it.

Other things I enjoy doing are reading, gardening (both veggies and flowers) and watching Yankees baseball. I enjoy all 4 seasons - they all have something beautiful to behold. Yes, I even like the snow we have now.

That's all for me I guess. Who's next?

Ginny B
    Last edited by Ginny B; February 9th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

18. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post