Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

I just joined the Forum boards today although I have been ordering from Missouri Star for years. Decided to read the intro board and yours caught my eye. We live in Ohio but snowbird in Mesa, AZ. What part of AZ are you in? We are considering a permanent there but it's a BIG decision. Our best friends are moving into our same community out there next Saturday. Hope to hear from you.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I'm Kelly from Ontario, Canada. I'm 57 with 2 daughters and 6 granddaughters and 1 grandson.
    I guess I really started quilting about 18 years ago. We use to camp and I was so bored I sewed a crazy quilt top and decided to tie it. Well there's not a lot of room in a trailer for that and most of my quilting was quess work. We ended up laying the backing, baton and top over a large dog crate. We pinned and then tied. I had so much fun I quess that was the start.
    But then life gets busy and I didn't do much until I watched Jenny's tutorials. She made it look so easy.
    Well I've now made about 6 quilts and love every bit of it.
    Now that the kids have moved on I have time and plan on making all my grandchildren a quilt for their 18 birthday.
    When I'm not quilting I work in a nursing home.
    Other than that my other passions are reading and riding my motorcycle.
    Kelly

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hello I am new to quilting and just joined the forum tonight. I am a breast cancer survivor 3 years now and eager to start a new hobby. I live in Florence, Ky. We recently moved here from FL due to a new grandson who we dearly love and just had to be nearby. I have 3 grown children, 2 daughters nearby and 1son in VA. I'm eager to learn from all of you. I've tried to find a local quilting group nearby but so far none in the area. So I'm trying to get one started at with my church group telling them we could just learn together. I have a couple ladies interested and my youngest daughter wants to learn too. So it will be like the blind leading the blind here but you have to start somewhere. Just glad I found a few willing to learn with me. I'm placing my first order tonight to get started on my 1st quilt. Want to make a couple as Christmas gifts.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All! I'm 51, married to Matt for 31 years, have 6 grown children and 3 grandchildren--the oldest is 2! Like pkkid ^^above^^ (Congratulations on your 3 years, too!!), we moved here to be near our grandson (and now granddaughter as well); although, had we waited about 6 months, we would have learned we were having a granddaughter back home in Chicago, IL! So now we travel back north a few times a year to see our snowbirds, which is wonderful. Grandparenting is the most wonderful time of life!!

I began quilting when my children were little, but didn't get as far with it as I'd hoped since we had 4 children under the age of 5 to start with! Thinking I would find time later, we then made the decision to adopt two older children, which moved quilting and sewing out of the way until only the past couple of years! I thought I'd be quilting a lot for the grandchildren, not realizing there is not much need for quilted blankets and things in Austin, TX!! However, I've been able to make quilted bumpers and changing pads and things, plus I have used Jenny's pillowcase tutorial and made some fun pillowcases! I'm gratified to find that my Little Buddy LOVES the pillowcase his Gramma made him! Now that he has a baby sister, I've had the opportunity to "girl it up" a bit--continuing the pillowcases and changing pads, etc.

Plus, we still have our Little Bug up north! So, I made an Irish Chain baby quilt for her and hope to make a much larger one for when she graduates to her Big Girl Bed!

I'm looking forward to learning new skills and making new friends--from all over the world, it looks like! How exciting! Having lived all over IL for almost 50 years, I'm more familiar with IL than TX, but we're slowly learning...and I can't wait to visit MSQC in MO one day!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Hello I am from Washington, Oklahoma. I have been a widow for 17 years. I have two wonderful children a daughter and a son. I was blessed with three grandsons age 24, 16 & 16 and a wonderful grand girl age 21. I have developed a love for quilting in the past few years, Jenny's you tube videos got me started for sure. I own. 7550 Pfaff sewing machine, a 1951 singer and a 350e Janome embroidery only machine. I rarely sew anything for myself, my love is baby quilts. That is a good thing as there always seems to be a new baby that just has to have a quilt. I have really enjoyed the forum so far.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've only gotten up to page 4 on the posts, but I thought it best to introduce myself and catch up as I can later. So many quilters from so many places! I absolutely love that this hobby and this store and Jenny's tutorials have brought so many of us together at this site!

My name is Kimberly and I live in Kingwood, TX, hence my screen name--KWTXQuilter. I'm a self-taught quilter, having learned mostly from books, magazines, and PBS shows from 1989 to about 1999 until I picked it up again in 2013 and began to watch Love of Quilting faithfully every Saturday morning, which is when it airs here in the Houston area. A guest appearance by Jenny Doan, led me to MSQC and one of her tutorials on YouTube. I started piecing again last year. In the '90s, I made about six baby quilts, one queen-size quilt, a wall hanging, and a table runner, which I quilted in-the-ditch with a walking foot on my 1980 Singer sewing machine. The queen-size quilt was NOT fun to quilt on this machine, so the other large quilt tops, I pieced, at least three of them, are sitting in a chest-of-drawers, waiting.

In the past year, I have completed another seven quilt tops and started about 11 quilts that need to be finished and quilted so that I can work on other projects. A recent purchase of a mid-arm, which arrives in 3 weeks, should make completing much easier and faster. In fact, it may be life changing.

I have no kids, but four cats: Bogart, Hershey, Scarlett O'Hara, and Maggie Minerva McGonagall (Harry Potter fans should recognize the nod to Maggie Smith and the character she plays in the HP films). Yep, I'm a Harry Potter fan! And, a GWTW fan too!

Happy Quilting!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, North Carolina native here. Just retired and love that I now have the time to devote to my passion. Still a newbie but love challenging myself.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I'm in Ohio, but was Raised in Ontario Canada. Started Quilting about 22 years ago, made one quilt and am self taught. I picked it up again now that my kids are older, and I was fortunate enough to get a new machine, just love it! In two years, I've made over 20 quilts, appliqué embroidery, piecing, etc. having a ball. Thought I'd join the forum to see what's what! Love MSQC tutorials, have made two quilts from these, and plan to make more!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Y'all!

I am currently living in Honolulu, Hawaii but am from Humble, Texas. lived there for about 25 years before my husband joined the Army and we began our around the world journey.

I am new here as well as to the "Artsy World" as I call it. until 6 months ago i had never done anything creative in the least and then I found Jenny and her tutorials and fell in love with the idea of quilting and sewing. 6 weeks ago I bought my first sewing machine and my first few packs of charm packs from the local WM and created a couple of baby size quilts (the last one I even attempted to FMQ); before I knew it I was addicted. i have all these things I want to create, gifts that I have ideas for unfortinately things are expensive here on the islands and shipping takes forever so I am left waiting impatiently I might add for my materials to arrive... I look forward to getting to know y'all and learning all that I can.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Aloha ASchoolcraft, welcome to Hawaii. If you are interested in a quilt guild, Hawaii Quilt guild is meeting this Monday at 6:30pm at the Hongwanji Mission on the Pali Highway. Look us up on the internet Hawaii Quilt Guild.com for more information.
    Ordering on line sometimes arrives quicker than you think. My specialty in Hawaiian quilting since 1976, but have been patchworking for the last 8 years