Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Carol, from Tempe, Arizona here. I'm 49 and have an 18 year old daughter (U Wisconsin bound) and a 15 year old son.
    My daughter is a figure skater, and my son plays hockey, hence my name <-----

I started quilting with all of their t shirts....I couldn't bear to throw away all of those t shirts with their names listed....so I cut them up and made quilts out of them. I slowly expanded into the jelly roll races, then onto more complicated ones....
    Now, I just love to make quilts and give them away. This year I gave quilts to 3 teachers, who each wrote 9 recommendation letters for my daughter's college applications. They absolutely loved them!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm 60 years young and while I tried to quilt many times over the years, I only finished my first Jelly Roll Race quilt this month. It's at the longarmer (is that real word?) now. YAY!. Now I'm addicted. My next quilt is going to use the Chopped Block design. Nervous and excited at the same time. I also own an embroidery machine and am making the Jacobean (in the hoop) quilt. Very challenging.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all! I am a native Oregonian. My screen name was given to me when I was obsessing over Star Trek. Now I am into Dr Who and The Walking Dead. As you can see I am a geek! I am more of a lurker than an active participant in the forum, but I love all the people and the creativity on the site. I have been making quilts since my first grandchild was born (he is now almost 16 yrs old!) but I did not actually quilt them-merely sewed blocks together with batting in between. I found MSQC and was instantly hooked. I have made several quilts for other people and finally made the Tardis quilt for myself. I have way too much fabric and have to actively talk myself out of the daily deals. I now want to make donation quilts as I see the joy and comfort they can provide.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hello. My name is Elaine (aka Mu

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear techno problems already! I'll try again.
    Hello my name is Elaine (aka Mumsie52) and I live in Oxfordshire in the UK. My family all sewed and I started threading buttons onto a thread using a bodkin at the age of 2! My gran was a seamstress making wedding dresses and bridal party outfits and I helped her as soon as my hand sewing was neat enough. We sewed and designed our own clothes, dance costumes and much more, but no-one ever quilted - just me! I have been concentrating on paper crafting for the last six years or so, but found Jenny and that was it - out came the sewing machine and I was off. So lovely to be able to include some of my hand embroidery from years ago into my quilting projects. Would love to start a blog, but have my 90 year old my living with DH John and I and he has been ill with cancer for the last three years. Getting more time now as he is having clear scans, so may try soon. My sewing and quilting is my own personal 'Rescue Remedy'.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, and welcome.
    I am Bekie and I am from Alabama. Roll Tide !
    I am a homemaker..... and all that comes with it. I have two kids a girl and boy, who are both in collage.
    I use to do Upholstery but I had a back inquiry so I don't do it as much, a small task is a fun project for me. I needed
    to find a hobby to keep my mind bussy after loosening my Mom and her copanion, one right after the other,within a year.
    It's been a hard year and a half. I found making gifts for others, made me feel better, so I keep a project going. I decided to learn to make quilts, since I enjoy sewwing.
    So I started watching tutorials and found this lady, she is smart, and funny too, yep it's Jenny with M*. I have always wanted to make my own quilt, my aunts did, and a few to have arround that the kids can have one day, would be nice.The quilts can be for me till then. I have a list I want to do, and a lot, I want to try out too. Lots to learn, but I am having fun learning and sharing with this group of talented folks. We laugh alot too.
    Nice to meet you and we'll enjoy getting to know you........Bee

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, my name is Lesley, I'm 51 and come from a small town in Essex, England called Stanford-le-Hope. I have three children, 26 a science teacher, Helen 21 an aspiring solicitor who's just graduated from the University of East Anglia and an 18 year old son who is still studying. I'm new to quilting too....I'm always looking for something different to do instead of watching Tv. Last year it was knitting but I got fed up with that so I was searching the internet and stumbled across Jenny's tutorials and let's say the rest is history! I love it, I've made 4 quilts so far and have already acquired loads of scraps which I'm turning into a quilt at the moment. It's a bloody good job I had a utility room built a couple of years ago as I wouldn't have room to keep all my stuff. I'm still working at my husbands engineering company to finance my addiction....it's quite an expensive hobby here in the uk. Good to read about you all, Bye for now.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Glasgow.. This is a great forum lots of help and fun posts....
    It is a very expensive hobby here inthe UK. Have you tried Crafts and Quilts. Patchwork, Quilting and Sewing supplies. they are in Southport.
    Hobby craft have some nice fabric as well, if you have a store near you, worth a look. Best wishes Christine.
    Christine.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Debbie! I'm new here as of today. The words "5th Wheel" jumped right out at me. My DH and I live in a fifth wheel, actually two. One in Vermont and one in Florida -- full-time RVers who don't travel as much as we used to. Just wanted to say hi! I"m allergic to cats and DH is allergic to dogs so we only have Grand Dogs and Grand Cats we visit now and then when we see the kids.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

That is just awesome!!

Miss Marymac