Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Hi,
    I'm Lenie. I'm 46 years old, and I live in The Netherlands. Married to Paul for 22 years now, and we have 3 sons, 20, 18 and 13.
    I work at a Fairtrade shop, it's a giftshop. I started quilting summer 2010, after a roundtrip through some parts of the USA. We were visiting my two brothers who live in Memphis TN and San Antonio, TX. On our trip I found some beautiful quilts, which I couldn't take with me back in the plane, to much luggage. Then, back home, I told myself: hé why not try to make my own quilt? So I ordered some fabric, found Jenny's tutorials, and just started to quilt. Never stopped since .
    I don't have a quiltroom, not enough space, and no big stash either, just two shelves in a cabinet for all my quilting stuff. My sewing machine is at least 25 years old, belonged to my mum, and has found a steady place on our dinnertable.
    But that's okay for me.
    We have two cats, Max and Minous living with us.
    I joined the group Farmers Granddaughter, and I love it! I'm sure I will learn a lot from that this year. And of course I'm in the secret pal swap. I enjoyed the christmas swap from last year so much, I had to be in it this year!
    It's snowing here, right now, brrr, hope it will be spring soon.
    What a nice thread, getting to know some more of all these great people.
    It sure is a great group of girls, and even some boys!
    Hugs, Lenie

2. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I am Robin from Helena Montana. Actually I moved here three years ago and took a beginning quilting class. Since then I have a huge stash. My newest project that I am staring today is the about trout quilt. I was just told yesterday that locally only two people have completed it. I hope I am not over my head because I am just starting to embroidery. If anyone lives near Helena, I would be so glad to meet you. It has not been easy to make new friends here since I am not a fourth generation Montanan. I am a native Californian, but moved here for a slower pace. I have three dogs, two horses and two cats. I have been married for 30 plus years and have three children.

4. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoying reading about you all....

.....Next??

6. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am Lisa, 42 yrs old and a native New Englander, MA to be more specific. I was a single mother at 20. It still amazes me that I at times was treated so badly because he broke the engagement and walked away when we got pregnant. Anyway that daughter is one of the best things that ever happened to me. She is about to turn 22. I was a nurse who kept getting sucked into the management/human resource side of the home care I worked for. I quickly realized I could help so many more people in that position it stuck. It stuck until I had my son prematurely 8 1/2 yrs ago. I continued off and on to work from home until I went back full time almost 2 yrs ago. I started working on my own again as a consultant in May of last year. The hours, bad pay and bad environment were too much for me.

Anyway, I met my hubby when I was 12 and he was 20. When I was too young to be in the community pool at our summer place alone he used to watch me. When I was a teenager I dated Jimmy for 3 yrs. Hubby, Peter dated Jimmy's older sister Caroline for those same three years. I last saw Peter when I was 20 and my daughter was an infant and my parents sold the place. When my daughter was 12 and I was 32 we all went back up for a reunion. I was unfolding a camping chair and I heard my Dad say, "hey, Pete". I looked up, he looked at me and I lost my breath. I literally turned red at 32. I made a quick escape for some made up reason and took my daughter on a fake errand to the store to get away from him fast. For the next 3 days my daughter kept telling me how handsome he was and every time I turned around there he was. I thought he was way out of my league. We have been together ever since and honestly every year it gets better an better. Just tonight we were cuddling on the couch and we talked about how lucky we were to not only find each other but be alive (he had cancer and it was 2 yrs of hell) and sitting in our own home with our little guy snug in his bed and our two beasts taking their nap and my daughter and granddaughter being happy and healthy.

I started sewing in the 6th grade. I was 10. Out of necessity I started sewing again when my son was an infant because nothing fit him right. It quickly became a kitchen table business and now I do that and veils and wedding attire. I sell the wedding attire through a designer/look artist. We are working on creating a full service wedding business and she wants me to make her an Amish quilt. Thankfully she is too busy to shop for patterns and fabrics right now. I have always admired quilts but thought they were far too complicated to do. I then found the JRR tutorial with Jenny and within 2 days placed that first order. If I had known what it really entailed I would have dived into quilting years ago. I love it.

I also train dogs. Some years it is one dog and some years it is 10. I have no interest in doing it steadily but I do like to keep at it. I have 2 Alaskan Malamutes. They are not for everyone. They are amazing. Hard workers, funny, intelligent, too independent for their own good and pack animals. They do best with a dog mate and a family. We can't have more children of our own so we have the dogs and it truly feels like I have 3 little ones in the house some days.

I sort of have the same rules for kids as I do for dogs.

No is the first word they learn
    No jumping
    Quiet
    Wait
    Easy
    Never ending love given and received
    No talking back, I say it but it doesn't work with Malamutes or my kids. Occasionally!

Next?
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

8. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is really the who is who of our forum, i love it

10. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great minds think alike, I was just contemplating starting a post like this haha!

Hi all, I'm Anna from Sweden! To name a few more current Swedish things: Absolut vodka, Swedish House Mafia, Skype and Spotify. Oh and Alexander Skarsgård, yum!! Wwena is my name from when I used to play Everquest and it's been my alias ever since. (Also, Anna is one of the most common names of my generation in Sweden. Maria is the most common name. My sister is called Maria. Imaginative parents huh!!)

I'm a noob quilter but I've taken to it with gusto! I'm an "all-in" kind of person I think. I got my precious Janome in december after a loooong two month wait and love love love it. Except for when I hate it (usually during quilting). I've only tried a few smaller quilts so far, putting pinding on my first lap sized one today. I sew lots of other stuff too, to get my technique up. I have a list of approx 697 things I want to make!

I live in Örebro (same town as Annika and we are the only Swedes on the forum - what are the odds??) about two hours away from the capital (Stockholm). I'm a software tester and work for a local IT company now after having my own business for a few years. I'm married and I have two kids: a daughter born jan -07 and a son born in march -09. They keep us busy!

Apart from sewing I like computer games (MMORPG mostly), reading (mostly urban fantasy/horror), watching select TV shows (Newsroom anyone?), dance aerobics and I love cooking and baking. Pinterest. Did I forget to mention Pinterest and compulsive board and blog trolling? I also love listening to books and podcasts, when out walking or at home cooking etc. The Harry Potter books and Terry Pratchetts Discworld series are my favourites and I know them all by heart.

Oh and I turn 40 this summer. Party anyone?
    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

12. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, arthriticmama, soul60s, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wwena View Post
    To name a few more current Swedish things: Absolut vodka, Swedish House Mafia, Skype and Spotify. Oh and Alexander Skarsgård, yum!!
    Hmm, Absolut vodka, Alexander Skarsgård, and a yaffle of metal bands?

Later chickies, I'm moving to Sweden! lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

14. Thanks Rekmeh, Wwena thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musical_Starling View Post
    Hmm, Absolut vodka, Alexander Skarsgård, and a yaffle of metal bands?

Later chickies, I'm moving to Sweden! lol
    Haha yeah I saw your post about the metal bands after I wrote mine! Come on over!!
    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wwena View Post
    Haha yeah I saw your post about the metal bands after I wrote mine! Come on over!!
    I knew I recognized the last name, Skarsgård from somewhere, Alexander's Dad, Stellan, was in Pirates of the Caribbean! And you guys have DOLPH LUNDGREN too?!? Girl, you and Annika have been holding out on me! lol That's it, I'm on my way!

Wait, hang on a second. I barely speak English. I don't think Newfinese and Swedish will mix very well... I'll probably just end up talking like Swedish Chef on the Muppets, and I don't think I'll get very far just yelling "Bork! Bork! Bork!" everywhere I go... It's probably not even a word lol Hrm... I may have to rethink my plan... Maybe Sweden can adopt Newfoundland? lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to my original post here!
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...w-member-intro

I still live in Lakebay, Wash, USA on our little farm with my husband of almost 11 years. He has a son (21) who has a son (1.5) and our daughter (7) lives with us too. We have about 20 milk goats of varying ages and breeds. The count on the chickens is down to about a dozen, and those really belong in the stew pot! We have an Anatolian Shepherd Livestock Guardian dog and a tortoise-shell security cat.
    I am currently a stay at home mom, but that will probably change soon. The youngest is in school full time, and the extra funds would be good (more fabric & batting). I have a background in printing. So we'll see. I also work with the 4-H & FFA at the state fair level. I spend a few days every summer as a goat judge too. That is fun to see all of the different fairs and the quilts while I am there!
    As far as quilting goes - I like to piece more than quilt, but after a successful outing with the walking foot recently, I may not mind it so much. This would mean those UFO's might actually become real quilts! I lean more towards making the traditional than the art quilts. Two of my quilts are still at home. One on the son's bed and the other on my daughter's wall. The rest have all found homes with other people. One day I'll have one just for me!
    I originally found this site while looking for something on tube quilt blocks, & I've been here ever since. This place certainly has grown! I have met a bunch of wonderful people and learned a lot of valuable things in that time.I can only imagine where they will go in the next 5 years!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

18. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s thanked for this post