Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Hi, I am Joyce. My screen name is the name of a dog I once had.

I am retired. I married my second husband seven years ago four years after my husband of 32 years passed away. When we retired, we moved from Houston to a rural area in central Texas. We live on 20 acres that were once part of my great-grandfather's farm. Right now, the only animals we have are nine goats and four cats. Over the last seven years, we have had chickens, turkeys, geese, and ducks, but they are all gone now. I love animals.

When we first moved here, we had several buildings erected. One of those buildings was an office we used because my husband worked from home and used it for that. He retired, and I took over that building for my quilting hobby. I have a Grace quilt frame that I use to quilt the quilts.

I started quilting many years ago, I don't know how many, probably 30 or so. One day I watched the PBS channel on Saturday when a quilting program came on. It was Kaye Woods with her strip piecing method of making quilts. I though "I can do that!", and that got me started. I also watched Eleanor Burns shows. Back then, there wasn't any internet, so TV was the medium of choice.

The first of many quilts I did, I gave away. I am sorry I did that now, because of all of the quilts I gave away, only one of my sisters appreciated it. She has been rewarded with a second quilt! So, now I make quilts and mostly keep them. I do see quilts given to elderly persons, and that touches my heart. If I were to give them away again, it would be to those people. I made my niece two baby quilts, and my daughter and her husband one each. So I do give away some.

I seem to be attracted to dark colors. I love blue, purple, and green. I have been making traditional quilts, or quilts from Jenny's videos. I am making a king quilt that is eating my lunch! I am almost through with it, and the light is at the end of the tunnel for it.

I love seeing everyone's quilts. It is amazing to me to see so many different quilts. I thought I had seen them all, but I know I haven't.

I am hoping to buy an antique Singer sewing machine tomorrow. I haven't heard from the man, so I am getting nervous, but I hope it works out. I know I could quickly get addicted to buying them.

That's it for me!
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

2. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s, Kathy63, Trudyw thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I am Susie, I have been quilting for about 11 years now; my daughter taught me how...little did she know I couldn't even thread a sewing machine! I sure do know how to now....I do most of my own maintenance and trouble shooting but will occasionally take my machines in for a thorough cleaning....Learned about this forum through Jenny's tutorials and joined....and visit almost daily if not twice or three times a day just to see what is going on! I have learned so much from this forum and Jenny's tuts....love the Doan family and my forum family very much! You have kept me sane!
    I am a widow of about 9 years now...my late husband helped me get started and bought me my first expensive quilting/sewing machine...it was his last anniversary gift to me and I will never give it up...I now also have an Elna that my fiance got me for my birthday last year....so my old machine does the piecing and my new machine does most of the quilting and bulky type work! I work at two different jobs (both part time) to help support my habit (I love to buy fabric...could starve and wouldn't care). I have 3 daughters and a multitude of grand children but am only close to my eldest daughter and my first grand daughter will be turning 18...where did the years go?...Enough about me...I share my home with Steve, (fiance), Sassi (dog), and Dakota my quaker parrot!

4. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s, Trudyw thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Donna,
    this is the thread I like to follow most, always curious who will introduce herself next. So, don`t hesitate, we are interested in you!

6. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish leo View Post
    I am Annika and i am from Sweden, you know , where ABBA and Björn Borg and Roxette are from! Lol!!
    My husband would be VERY upset that you left out bands like In Flames, Ghost, Meshuggah and Opeth

Hi all! My name is Dee and I'm from Newfoundland, Canada! I'm one of the youngin's at 27. My husband and I live here with our two kitties, Boots and Tinkerbelle. I've been sewing for a few years on and off, but only taking it seriously for less than a year and I'm LOVING it! I've only been sewing so far, no real quilting (unless table runners and wall hangings count lol) and I can't wait to get finished on my first quilt, a beautiful "Surf Song" Bargello for my in-laws.

I'm hosting the Mug Rug Swap here, feel free to join in! It's open until next Thursday! I'm also part a whole bunch of groups. Join in on the group fun by clicking on "Groups" up there at the top. We love it when newbies join in! I love this place and everyone in it, and I'm always game for a good laugh. Us Newfies are used to people having a laugh at our expense after all

Oh! And DON'T be afraid to post. Despite the drama that I've apparently missed out on recently (thanks be to God lol) we're normally a happy and friendly bunch! So hop in, share what you're up to, ask questions, and just chat away! I'll be ending my book here, thanks lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

8. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, arthriticmama, soul60s thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all! I'm Kathie and DH and I live in Southern Maine. I have just recently stopped lurking and started to participate. I was raised in NJ, not too far from New York City. Since then I have lived in Hawaii, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Indiana, North Carolina, New Hampshire, and Maine thanks to the military (exDH).

I retired last June, but won't receive Medicare until this June. I have been married almost 21 years and between us we have 5 children 34-42 yrs, 9 grandchildren ages 4-20 and one great grandson 20mos. and one on the way next month.

It seems as though I have always done hand crafts. I started sewing clothes when I was in Junior High School and didn't make my first quilt until I was near 30. Then I took a hand quilting class that ended with us learning a different technique every week. I started collecting cotton fabric at that time, but most of my quilting was given away as gifts or started and not completed. I decided to join the 2013 UFO Challenge to clean up my quilting table. It was easy to list 12 UFO projects but I keep remembering more and more and probably have enough for 2 more years!

I'm really enjoying the ladies on this forum and I'm still learning new tips and tricks from them. And I love seeing all the talent.

Hugs!

Next......
    Sometimes you never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. Dr. Seuss

10. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I am Roxanne (same as my screen name). I just joined this forum in December and have really loved getting on here every day and reading all the posts and seeing what everyone is working on. I feel like I know all of you personally. I just turned 58. 2012 was a very eventful year for me. I got married (for the first time). I am a Christian and prayed for years that God would reveal the man that He had picked for me, but it seemed like He had plans for me to remain single. So, I accepted this, and moved on. Then, when I least expected it, I met Bill. We got married in June and life is good. Because of Bill's generous spirit, I was able to take early retirement in January and have been loving it. I have lots of time for my quilting addiction. We have a four legged, furry son named Brody who keeps life interesting. He is a little bundle of energy and very lovable. I took a quilting class in my 20s and did a few things but didn't really get "into" it until about 5 years ago. Now I am truly a quilting addict. I love everything about it. Hope to get to know all of you better. Glad someone started this post. I've enjoyed reading it.

12. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s, HdWench, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I am Leonie, I am 55 years old and have been married to my Husband Trevor for 35 years now, we have 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls, aged between 26 -34, 2 DIL and 1 SIL, I also have a 4 year old grand daughter. I work 4 days a week in a busy emergency department as a Registered Nurse. I was born and bred in South Australia and I cant imagine living any where else, we live about half an hour away from the Barossa Valley which is a lovely wine growing area.

I started quilting last year and an now well and truly hooked, I have a ridiculous amount of fabric which I now have to use up.. well make a dent in any way. I have always done some sort of craft or another, I used to sew when the children were younger but I did not do any for a long time, but I took it up again to make some clothes from my grand daughter. I bought an embroidery machine so I could make some cute items, I then decided I needed someplace to put the embroidered pictures so I started to make quilts, the quilt in my Avatar is my first quilt which I made for my DGD.
    Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone. . . Not your housework!!

Leonie

14. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s, Kathy63, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi my name is April. Screen name is my favorite flower in the world. I have been married almost 30 years have 2 adult sons that help with my fabric choices, both live at home with hubby and I do to the crappy economy and lack of jobs around here. I have been doing handcrafts since I was 5. My mom grew up on a farm and taught me to knit, crochet, embroider and sew early on. I started making doll clothes then advanced to clothing when store bought clothes arms and legs were way to short for me. I don't consider myself tall but I guess at that time in the early 70's I was. anyway, I have always had an interest in quilting but never done it as I made most of my own clothes right down to undergarments and slips for a good many years. I had the good fortune to work as fabric manager in a fabric store where I also taught beginner sewing for 20 years...then it went out of business... the fore sight of my friends at work that made me buy all the quilting rulers , mats and cutters and some patterns at 90% off was wonderful. that has been almost 10 years and I really just took up quilting in the last 3 years. Tried my hand at selling vikings , but left that job after 2 years for 2 reasons...1 I am a Pfaff girl and just could not sew comfortably on a viking... but most importantly my boss was a horrible person , who lied , cheated and stole 80% of my commission sales. so now I work in a craft store to support my habit. I love this forum and everyone is so nice. I also teach quilting to a few ladies 2 or 3 times a month. we laugh , love , and even sew . have fun all
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

16. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone. I am one of the Crazy ones on here. My name is Donna G and I am 58. I was born and raised in NE Indiana and lived there until 1986 when I moved to Ithaca, NY and married my second husband. I was married to my first husband for over 12 years until we divorced. We had two daughters. My second husband was killed in Jan. 1999 in a train derailment. He worked for the railroad. I then moved back to Indiana. I met my current husband Daniel in 2001 and we married in Las Vegas in 2004. We now live in the Missouri Ozarks and love it here. Well sometimes living in the boonies can get a bit lonely.
    My mother was from Brisbane, Australia and was a WWII war bride. She was a beautiful knitter but I never saw her sew. She had an old treadle sewing machine which I started sewing with when I learned to sew in Junior High School. The first thing I made in school was an apron and from then on I was hooked. I love to sew. I made my daughters a lot of their clothes when they were small and the first quilt I made was for my first daughter.
    I love to bake, especially anything with yeast. I guess I love the kneading part. I also love to fish, hunt or just target practice. I love to read almost anything I just finished a few Amish love stories that my neighbor loaned me. Usually I love to read and re-read Dean Koontz books.
    I also paint, knit, crochet and once in a while do some woodburning.
    We heat with wood so we got out and cut wood ourselves...sure makes the muscles and joints hurt. We have a horse and a mule so we have to bale hay too.
    My "love" is my pug dog Gator. He is 11 years old now. We also have a blue heeler...TarButt and four cats. Chester "The Planet", Hondo, Vurlow and MonkeyButt.
    This is the best forum on the web. The people are great!
    Donna
    MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

18. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s, HdWench thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Hello - I'm known as Quilter1147 - but that is a misnomer. I should have as my screen name Crafter1147. I have made
    wall hangings, but not a quilt as yet. I have made around 15 quillows (for family and friends), purse inserts, tote bags,
    and fabric coiled baskets. I really enjoy the baskets - making them out of striped fabric. At our local fabric store, I have
    taught 2 classes on making the baskets. That was fun!

I am a retired teacher, living in West Texas, with my husband of 46 years. Reading this board and viewing the numerous
    ways a block can be made has peeked my interest. Yes, soon I plan to take the plunge and make a quilt. Thanks for all of the
    valuable info you provide on this board.

20. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, soul60s thanked for this post