Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Hi, I have just read through 14 pages in this thread and it was very interesting to see how and when we got bitten by the quilt bug. My name really is jean but that was only ever used when I got caught doing something I should not be doing. The funny thing is that my mother thought she had named me after her mum's sister who's name I discovered when I started researching family history was actually Jane! Lol. So here is a bit about me. I am 64 years old but my mental age is 35 and I plan to keep it that way. I want to live a long long time and become a problem parent just to get my own back on the kids. I have a son and daughter 1 grandson, 1 ready made grandson and two granddaughters with a new baby expected next June so I am looking forward to that. I love my kids and my grandchildren along with my husband Steve, who I met in 2000 after I had recycled my first husband of 28 years.

I was born on the south coast of England in the county of Sussex. I moved to the East Midlands in about 1985, to Nottinghamshire, (and yes, the locals do believe Robin Hood was real and not a folk tale). After I met Steve I moved to the county of Worcestershire where we lived for about ten years, moving back here in 2010 which is great because I am back close to my children.

I hated school and never seemed to learn much during my so called formative years but I guess I was lucky as in the 1960's jobs were two a penny, unlike today. I started playing truant at the age of 6 and was very adept at it by the time I was 14 when I was asked to leave school. I have had too many jobs to mention but I guess I turned out ok and my last job was as the accounting manager of the UK branch of an American company. This employment gave me the opportunity to travel far and wide which in the most part was very enjoyable and I spent some time living/working in a few places around the world. Some of my best travel experiences were in the USA and Australia. I retired a while ago and concentrated on self employment in my family history research company. That has now hit the back burner a bit because I am now a total quilt addict like everyone here I guess.

I started quilting a few months ago and as I only seem to be able to learn by the kinetic system I started haunting YouTube and, of course, found the tuts by MSQ and the lovely Jenny. I eat and sleep quilting now and I blame Jenny for this predicament! Lol.

Well this is the end of my ramblings and I just want to say how much I enjoy this forum and the people who so willingly share great tips and encouragement. I look forward to reading the messages that follow mine. Jeannie.

2. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi can you see me? I am right down the bottom of the world, in New Zealand waving to everyone, hi hi to you all.
    I am 72 years young, and have been quilting for appox 25 years,and still as keen as the day I started this journey, but have I ever been on a learning curve vbg, and the wonderful people who have passed by on their quilting journey. One internet friend in particular, from California there is hardly a day we do not talk via the internet.We have had two wonderful trips to America, joined up with this friend and her husband one trip took 9 weeks in which we drove around the circumference of USA.

Last year we went back again and visited a number of national parks. These friends also came down to New Zealand, we took them from the top of the North Island to the bottom of the South Island.
    My DH and I have two children and 4 grandchildren who all live in Western Australia, unfortuneatly we do not see then over much.
    Our son DS and DD came home to NZ this year it was the first time for 30 years that the four of us had been together in the family home.
    I look forward to belonging to this group,
    Dale Thornton. ( Kamaia Rigbys Nan )

4. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi !
    Although I am not new to sewing, I am new to quilting. I am 59 yrs old. I have 4 children, ages 38 to 27 ( My DS 38,DD34,DS 32,DS 27. I have 8 grandkids I don't see very much as everyone lives out of state etc.
    My DH ( and children's father ) is deceased, he was my soulmate. We were married for 28.5 yrs at the time of his passing.
    I have a 14 3/4 yr old male cat, ( see my profile photo ) named Buffy, who is an awesome cat, spoiled rotten too !
    I have been sewing since I was pregnant with my DD in 1978. I actually learned to sew over the phone ! My MIL taught me how to sew while we lived in another state while DH went to college to be an electrical engineer. I have always wanted to learn how to quilt and about 1 1/2 ago, I stumbled on MSQC's YouTube channel !!! You might say it takes me forever to make up my mind about doing something......it has taken me 1 1/2 yrs to look at the tutorials and to make up my mind which quilt I want to do. I have taken the suggestion ( from this forum ) to do a disappearing nine patch quilt, I think I am doing pretty well with the quilt.
    After Thanksgiving ( which is today ) I am going to start cutting out dresdens. I also love the Big Star Quilt tutorial that Jenny does, along with the Chevron Quilt Tutorial.
    I have been a paper crafter since 2003. Shortly after my DH Terry's passing, my BFF took me to a card-making class, and I was hooked. I make a lot of cards for people, and for soldiers etc. My blog is :
    Sugar's Smilin Paper Crafts
    In case you would like to look at it. I have made so many awesome friends online and hope to continue making friends here in this forum.
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the U.S.A !

6. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,
    Jilly here, from Utah. Quilting comes in my heritage from generations back. At 61, I'm just beginning to take time to learn piecing but mom started me out hand quilting as a young girl. No experience with blogs and forums, but I have enjoyed reading your posts, you seem like warm and friendly types.
    When I stumbled on my first MSQC tutorial I was hooked. Don't you think Jenny should make t-shirts with the logo on them? I would SO buy one and wear it! Happy Quilting! Jilly

8. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone!! My name is Lisa and I have been following this forum for many months, I decided its time to step out of the darkness. I started to quilt a few years ago, but had to put it away due to life's interruptions. Now I'm taking a few classes and getting back to something I enjoyed and missed.

10. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My name is Ryan. I'm one of a small handful of men who sew/quilt and post here. I've been sewing off and on (more off than on) for about 7 or 8 years but I didn't start quilting until January of 2013. I like making quilts but I also sew other stuff like curtains, baby clothes, ties, etc.

Professionally, I am a horticulturist and plant scientist. I manage a research greenhouse and plant transformation laboratory. I also do some side work teaching classes about various topics- usually plant related but occasionally about arts/crafts and stuff relating to chicken coops. I'm happily married to my high school sweetheart (we just celebrated our 6th anniversary) and she is pregnant with our first child (a son, due in February). She doesn't sew at all but she does help me with cutting and ironing on most of our projects. I have more hobbies than anyone should be allowed to have. I do blacksmithing and metal fabrication, small engine repair, mold making and casting, fiberglass fabrication, gardening, keep backyard chickens, woodworking, beer making, wine making, cheese making, canning, and probably half a dozen other things I can't think of right now. I suspect that soon I'll be down to just one hobby- being a dad.

Here is my own M* Introduction thread.

Here is a thread that contains pictures of some of my metal working projects.

Here is a thread about the first quilt I made.

Here is the thread about the most recent quilt(s) I made.

Here you can find links to threads about all the stuff I've made between the first and the most recent.

Welcome to the M* Forums. Lots of really smart and talented people post here and you'll learn so much if you are a beginner or already a seasoned vet.
    Loosely based on a true story.

12. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This was sweet of you to start and share. I'm new too, but figured since I read about you I should at least let you know. I used to work nights at the hospital too. I just could not get used to it. . Now I am a do-not-work-out-of-the-home person (read that, "unemployed"). Phew, that was a lot to type. Don't fit into the "mom" group as my girls are grown and on their own over 1,000 miles away from where I am. I do have grannies though . . . 5 or 6 of 'em; stopped counting.

Been quilting for about three weeks. Yahooo.

The thing is to tear oneself away from the Internet to get some quilting done, bwwahhhhhh!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    Hello, my name is Donna and I am a quilt addict. I am 55 and have four children from 32 to 16 and a five month old grandson. He was the reason I got started on this whole quilting thing at this point in my life. I had been interested for years, but just never took the plunge (other than accumulating a large stash of fabrics). When I searched the internet for quilt ideas, I stumbled upon Jenny's JRR tutorial and I was hooked. I work the night shift at the Post Office and have for 25 years, so pretty used to it. Currently live with my sister after divorcing 5 years ago and hoping to find the right place to move to soon. It's not so easy since we have dogs. Actually, I think the dogs have us. We not only have a crew of our own, we foster rescue dogs pulled from death row and find homes for them. It is very rewarding, but a LOT of work. It also makes it hard to find a place to live where you have dog-loving neighbors - which we do here.

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

How exciting, Precious1; your life! Thank you for sharing. It made me smile today.

P.S. You won't regret the decision to stay home with/for your children. Take it from a mom who did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Precious1 View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and quilting. My name is Adelia and I'm originally from the USVI. My husband of 13 years (second marriage) was left unemployed after the company he worked for almost 18 years closed. He got a job in Fort Mcmurray AB Canada and in September we along with our our daughter (11) and son (8) moved. I have two older son, ages 22 & 20, who are in the US Navy. One is stationed in Washington state, the other in California.

Since we really didn't know anyone after we relocated, we decided I was going to stay home for the kids. Out of boredom, I started looking for some type of hobby, to keep my busy while the kids were in school and stumbled across quilting. The rest as they say is history. Now, I am glad my momma taught me how to use a sewing machine and how to sew straight.

I am so happy to have read about you and gotten to know you. Thank you for the warm welcome.

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hi my name is Bill. I am 69+ and have been quilting for about 15 years on and off. My first was a simple 9 patch for my daughters wedding. The quilt finished better than the wedding (didn't happen). After that I kind of laid off quilting for a few years. My next attempt was a stack and whack for my other daughter. Many lessons learned on that one, but I think it turned out pretty good. Since I retired in 2007 I have been more into my quilting, having completed 11 (4 for Christmas) and have three works in progress. This past year I even took a try at machine quilting my smaller (2 baby, 2 lap and a full) on my Viking Lilly) mostly stippling, some shadow and In The Ditch.
    I just discovered Jelly Rolls and will tackle one of the Jelly Roll Race quilts soon. My wife, Sandy, quilts and when I go to the quilt shops looking for fabric and supplies and she is with me, the ladies always assume that she is the quilter and I am just a tag along. They are quite surprised when she tells them I am the one looking for stuff not her.
    I am on pinterest (Bill Williams) and have a board of all my quilts, and facebook also.
    Looking forward to gaining lots of info here!
    Last edited by Bill; January 2nd, 2014 at 03:03 PM.

16. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all
    My name is Patt & I'm almost 62. Been married to a really understanding husband for 40 years. We have 3 sons, all grown, 4 grand kids all living in Bremerton WA and a new one due next month. Lucky for me the new grand baby is only an hour away in Orange County. we live just north of LA California, up in the foothills.
    I've been quilting on & off since 1975. I'd try new hobbies but I always came back to quilting so now I figure you can't fight fate & I'm going to stick with my first love LOL.
    I mostly taught myself, not really well .. To give you an example, I quilted my first quilt by hand with dental floss because the only instructions I found said to use waxed thread (go ahead and laugh, everyone does).. I've learned a lot since then. I think one of the best things to happen to quilting is the Internet. One son gave me his old iPad & showed me how to search YouTube. I am now officially a YouTube junky. I found one of Jenny's tuts the first day and can't get enough. So many fun things to learn & try!!
    I love reading all the posts on this forum ( another first for me) & everyone seems so nice & helpful!! The world needs more nice people like the ones here

18. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post