Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Good evening ladies. I'm Darlene. Recently caught the sewing bug and and just in the last couple of weeks have fallen in love with quilting or at least trying to. I've been happily married for 23 years. We have two adult children and 2 wonderful and rambunctious grandsons. I've been around quilting for most of my life but of course was never interested...until now. I hope to pick/read lots of your tips so keep posting. Next......

2. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All. My name is Brenda, am 58 and live in South Texas. I've been married to Ray for 25 years. 2nd go round for us both. He had two daughters and I had two boys from our first marriages. We are a BIG combined family now with 8 grandkids. I've sewn since I was fairly young, I come from a family of women who could all sew very well. Both my grandmothers and one aunt quilted - all by hand. I have always wanted to quilt, but hope to do so with the aid of machines! I have yet to start this process but am about 6 months away from retirement and have been watching every tutorial I can find in preparation. I expect I will have loads of questions...I absolutely love this website and her tutorials.

4. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, my name is Christina and I currently reside in Lakewood, Ohio ... a bedroom community due West of Cleveland. At this point my only fur family is my cat whom I adore. I caught the quilting bug and the first thing I made was a small tumbler quilt with a template I bought from MSQC. I adore sewing so it was a cinch I am hooked. I adore the MSQC YouTube video tutorials and, now, the magazine Quilting Quickly. Sweet! The warmth and love of a quilt is over the top wonderful. I do hope to own an Innova longarm machine at some point ... soon.

6. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Hello- my grandkids and other peoples children call me Nana... I have one son 42 and one grandson 13 and a step grandaughter 15.
    I am retired from real estate (30 yrs) and at 63 decided I wanted to get back into sewing instead of reading and veging in front of the t.v.

I live in East Texas about 90 min from La. I have 2 dogs. a mini schnz and a wire hair/jack russell mix - my husband whom I met when I was 15 is still working, in Alaska of all places. We have 3 acres and try to raise a garden and rabbits.

I have joined the local quilt club and we are going to Houston to the quilt show at the end of this month. I just bought a Janome 9900 and hope it does all it has promised.. so far I love it!

I have ordered more fabric from MSQC than I ever owned in my entire life. seems I wait up til midnite just to see what the deals are.

Oh well, enough about me, what about you?
    I love someone with Autism.

8. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread I've always been interested in how people got stared quilting so here goes
    My name is Louise and live in Kettering ohio which is suburb of dayton. I've been married to my husband Jim for 30 years and have a beautiful 27 yr old daughter who unfortunately for me is a successful graphic artist in New York City I wish she lived closer but visiting ny is nice (would not want to live there) I used to sew costume for her when she was little and used my moms white sewing machine when she grew up pretty much stopped sewing and found quilting by surfing utube on a whim and found jenny and got hooked. I still watch all tuts and buy lots of magazines. Love to up fabric and the first thing I look at in morning is the daily deal on then numbers from work I have worked for a fast food chain ( I do it Dave's way) for 32 years which has been the only job. I have ever had it has it ups but on the down side it doesn't give me enough time to quilt and that's pretty much it for me

10. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Hello fellow Quilters,
    I reside in St. Louis Mo.....go CARDS....I am 52 years young, married for 30 years to a very understanding and wonderful husband David. He is always willing to help out so I can spend time quilting and sewing. However, like others he thinks it is strange to take beautiful fabric, cut it all apart and put it back together in another way.
    We have 5 beautiful children: 2 sons & 2 DIL's and a beautiful Granddaughter (10 months), and our 3 daughters who are all away at college.
    I am a newbie to the forum but not a newbie to sewing and quilting. I learned to sew in high school Home Ec class, and loved it ever since. When our children were little I made many dresses and other items. When my oldest was in 8th grade(15 years ago), I was recruited to make the class quilt b/c I was the only mother in the class that knew how to sew. Well, at that time, I was bitten by the bug. I went on to make 4 more class quilts, and have been quilting ever since. Time and life just sort of got in the way to do it very often, until recently when my husband and I went from a FULL house to an empty nest last year. Finally, I could sew and quilt until my heart is content.
    Fast forward to finding this forum. A friend mentioned it, I checked it out. Now I am addicted. I love the precuts and feel like I have finally found my passion. (second to my children). I work part -time until 1 and come home to my sewing room.

To the friend that would like to have a quilter retreat and a place to play golf. I will be there, along with DH. We both play, but when I want to sew he can be on the links. Looking forward to meeting many wonderful people here.
    Peace and God Bless,
    Happy Sewing,
    Michele .......also with one "l"
    Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

12. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, I am Jackie, I live in Indep. Missouri(just outside Kansas Ciy, Missouri) I have been a regular on this site for while now and love it. I found it by accident and now glued to it. I work full time as an In School Suspension Teacher and love it, but am really looking forward to retiring at the end of this school year...I plan on being at my machine daily. Like many of you I started sewing early in life, made my girl's clothes and then the granddaughter's, now that they are into jeans and "the in things" I have changed over to totally quilting. On most days it has been my salvation.

This has been great getting acquainted and reacquainted with everyone.

Jackie Gross

14. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I'm Ishama from Colombo. I'm Married, helping to my dad's business. I studied quilting before 7 yrs and I had difficulties while making blocks, coordination with stitching lines, with binding and also cutting it but after I saw MSQC Tutorials I just fell in love with quilting again. Hope to try some of yr tutorials soon. I will add some photos of my works later, which I did with scissor and ruler to cut and swing machine, in my Country don't have Pre-Cut fabric so have buy fat quarter. mostly i like MSQC tools and templates its make like wow this what i"m looking for.

Who is Next...........

16. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi my name is Marlene and I am a newbie on here. I love forums and gather invaluable information from those who are more advance that I have become in my quilting journey.

I am married with 2 daughters, 1 son in law, 4 grandchildren, and one precious great grandson. He rocks. I have been quilting for many years and still enjoy scrap quilts in lieu of the more modern patterns. I am a starter and not a finisher which means I have plenty of UFO's.

I live in the mountains in Northern Arizona and there are several quilt groups in this area. My quilt chapter has an annual Quilt Show
    with over 100 quilts on display each year. I also belong to a small Wed group that meets weekly in homes. We just finished a project for quilts to be given to some school children along with a food basket this Christmas.

I hope to contribute as well as learn from this forum.
    I may be a twin but I'm one of a kind!

18. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all. My name is Marsha and although I did a brief intro a month or so ago, I just found this thread and love it and figured I would also include some additional information about myself.

I live on Michigan’s beautiful western lakeshore, having moved here from Wisconsin when I married the love of my life. I've also lived in Illinois and Texas, but Michigan is my favorite place to live.

I’ve been sewing all of my life. My mother sewed and made a lot of our clothes – there were 8 of us so it was out of necessity. It was only natural that I learned to sew from her, starting out making doll clothes with my sister and advancing to matching plaids in a jumper in 8th grade home economics when everyone else was making aprons. It wasn’t until this past November 2012 that I discovered the wonderful world (addiction?) of quilting. I promptly signed up for a “quilting 101” type class at our local quilt shop and haven’t looked back since. I was derailed briefly due to a kitchen remodel, then summer gardening and canning. But now I’m back and there’s no stopping me. I also took an intro to free motion quilting class, so I want to get back to practicing that. My wonderful husband supports my quilting bug and in fact encouraged me to get a new sewing machine – I was using my faithful Sears machine that I had gotten for high school graduation a long, long time ago.

In my spare time I also love to cook, bake bread and about a year ago started dabbling in cheese making (you can’t be from Wisconsin without loving cheese, can you?). My husband and I own a little fiberglass travel trailer and we love to camp in rustic locations (without hookups). When he retires in July 2014 we’re going to hit the road more so I want to stitch up some quilt tops and hand quilt them when we travel. I also crochet, which I learned from my grandmother, and knit - which I learned from my best friend in grade high school.

I love this wonderful quilting community. The friendliness and willingness to help out wherever needed is rare in this day and age of “me first.”

20. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post