Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

[QUOTE=Over40momma;327761]Hello to everyone. My real name is Sandy (Sandra, but I only got that from my mom when I was in deep trouble)

It was exactly the same here...
    Love, Sandra

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and quilting. My name is Adelia and I'm originally from the USVI. My husband of 13 years (second marriage) was left unemployed after the company he worked for almost 18 years closed. He got a job in Fort Mcmurray AB Canada and in September we along with our our daughter (11) and son (8) moved. I have two older son, ages 22 & 20, who are in the US Navy. One is stationed in Washington state, the other in California.

Since we really didn't know anyone after we relocated, we decided I was going to stay home for the kids. Out of boredom, I started looking for some type of hobby, to keep my busy while the kids were in school and stumbled across quilting. The rest as they say is history. Now, I am glad my momma taught me how to use a sewing machine and how to sew straight.

I am so happy to have read about you and gotten to know you. Thank you for the warm welcome.
    Last edited by Precious1; June 27th, 2013 at 08:41 PM.

3. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I've really enjoyed reading all the bios here tonight. I'll post my bio later. Time for me to go to bed. I work at night and have to sleep during the day. So glad I found and joined the forum. This is my day off but still keep my sleeping schedule. Talk to you all later. Oh, my name is Debra. Nice to meet you all through the net.

5. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Hej Annika!
    I am a newbie here and I also live in Sweden but am originally from California. I recently bought a Janome 8900 and am hoping to start quilting all the tops I've pieced but have not quilted. I've seen your name often on this forum and decided to join and I also love Jennie's tutorials, of course. Thanks for mentioning the 'Quilt in a day' videos - I was watching one this morning, the 9 patch and stripes. I've learned so much from everyone's comments and advice here. What a nice friendly forum! Thanks everyone...
    Chantal

7. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I am a newbie to this and want to introduce myself. I am Maria and am going to be 62 soon. YIKES! I am retiring in a month. I've retired twice before from my profession as a Nurse Practitioner in Upstate NY and it never lasted longer than 6 months. I decided I needed a hobby if I would ever succeed at retirement, so I took a quilting class from a very talented lady who said it was a matter of being creative and making what I liked. I was hooked after I made my first block. It was called the monkey wrench pattern. That was 5 years ago.

You need to know that as a kid, I lived across the road from my wonderful Aunt Irene who was an incredible sewer. She made my clothes when I was a girl. And I was rough on clothes and ripped and tore them all of the time. I would ask her to mend them. She would say, " go sit at the sewing machine and I will show you how to mend it." I would promise to scrub floors, wash dishes, clean toilets, do laundry and mow the lawn for a month just to avoid that machine. She is now spinning in her grave as I spend hours at my own 2 sewing machines.

Last Summer I reduced my work schedule to 3 days per week due to my husband's health. Well, thank God, his health has improved and I decided that I am going to retire in September. Now, I can't wait to get back home to start sewing again and start my next quilt! Even though the first ones make me dizzy to look at because they were so crooked and uneven, I still love them. They are getting better with each one I make. I am actually starting to make some that are going out as gifts! And I've started some other sewing projects that I never thought I could tackle like totes and purses. Thanks to MSQC's tutorials I have learned ways to make the patterns that I looked at and thought were too hard.

9. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I am Carolyn and I live in a suburb of Dallas. It has been such fun reading about everyone. I am 75. I thought I would have to stop sewing when my hands got weak and my fingers froze when Rheumatoid Arthritis took over my life. I learned I could teach and then found a friend that wanted help with her sewing. She cuts out my patterns or my strips and takes me with her to the fabric stores in return for help with whatever her current project is. My husband of 55 yrs is a wonderful blessing. he has learned to use the rotary cutter and often helps cut strips for me also. Because of all this help, I am still sewing. We have 3 children, 7 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. They all have quilts and I have a pile of baby quilts just waiting for more GGs. It is such fun watching the tutorials and precuts have made sewing much easier for me.

This is such a positive, supportive forum. I love Show and Tell and get ideas for the next project seeing what y'all are working on. I am working on my Christmas stocking for the group here.

next...

11. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, My name is linda and I'm 64,married soon to be 45 yrs,in September. I just started quilting. I started because we are having our first great grand baby and I wanted to make her a special quilt. I'm from Texas Nice to meet everyone

13. Thanks Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi y'all! My name is Julie and I live in Soddy Daisy, Tennessee. Where is Soddy Daisy, Tennessee, you may ask? It's just outside of Chattanooga. I'm a newbie in every way you could describe it. I received a sewing machine in Feb of this year. It's a very simple inexpensive Brother BB370. Up until then, I had never even turned a sewing machine on, much less sew something! I taught myself how to thread it and went straight to You Tube to teach myself. I was told by the nice lady at Hobby Lobby that a great first project is a pillow case. That's were I found Jenny. Little did I know then what a great teacher she would be! I made a few pillow cases, some tote bags, and really enjoyed how fun it was to get my fabric and notions! (Love learning all the terminology!) I work full time, so I'm slowly getting into it. I've never really been interested in quilting (gasp...I know, right!!!!) Until I bought a groupon for a fabric/quilt store. I was quickly shown that quilting is not as intimidating as the finished product looks...it's just pieces put together in a fun pattern. So I took my pattern, bought my fat quarters, cut them and sewed them together and had sooooo much fun! Now I just need to get it quilted.
    And then I find that Jenny, my pillow case tutorial lady, has this great website with beautiful fabric and AMAZING tutorials! I'm obsessed with the quilting stuff. Can't stop thinking about it. This has only been in less than a month. This last weekend I completed the jelly roll race quilt. It is so beautiful! I'm watching these tutorials and I want to make them ALL!!! LOL!
    Nice to meet y'all!
    Happy Quilting!!!!
    Julie

15. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread - love meeting you all. Let's keep these coming!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, I'm Lin and have been sewing for many years, quilting for nine. Took a beginnig quilting class with my sister and have been adicted ever since! Im happily married,39 years, have three grown daughters, two great sons-in-law, and two precious grands. Grands are 3 and 1, and hubs and I love being grandparents! I ' ve made a good number of quilts in varying sizes, many as gifts. I work part time in a church office, and really love it. Also am an avid bicyclist, love to read, enjoy flower and herb gardening on a smalls scale. I live in Iowa, small town living is great! I can walk to church, the grocery store, or to the fabric shop!

I havebeen inspired by Jenny's tuts, and the ladies on the MSQ forum. To all of you, thank you for sharing you talents, wisdom,and friendship!

Lin

18. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post