Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

Hello all. My name is Janet. I live in central Texas between Waco and Austin. I retired in January 2011 and love retirement. I started quilting in January 2012 after I found M*QC. We have 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren. Our oldest granddaughter is getting married in June so have been busy sewing and making flower arangements for the reception, so have not had time to work on my quilting lately but have several projects planned. My husband and I love taking road trips and as we live in the country we spend a lot of time working outside. I have a Singer embroidary machine and a small Janome that can travel with me and that I take to classes. Recently my dear husband let me order a Baby Lock Tiara sit down quilting machine. Can't wait to get it all set up and start practicing so I can finish some quilts.

Enjoy the forum and remember there are a lot of talented people on this forum that are willing to help and answer any questions.
    ​Janet

2. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bumpity bump bump!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Hello.

I use my real name here. It's easier, besides, I couldn't come up a descriptive user name. I'm a 70 year old true newbie. Jenny's tutorials hooked me with a firmly set hook. I retired from a high stress career after over 30 years with the single goal to be an old lady who loves her children and grandchildren. For months I battled with cancer and won. It was not a good time in our lives but we've put it behind us and moved on.

My husband and I were married in 2000 and brought together a perfect blended family of four adult/almost adult children. (Three boys and one girl) My husband's hobby is raising coral and I must say that he is wildly successful. If this peaks your interest you can see his web site at Harrysfrags.com . (I can't get the site link to work) The pics you see at this site are not retouched.

I am just completing my first quilt top and plan to send it to MSQC to be quilted. With practice, I hope to gain enough control that I can complete my own quilts but for now I don't have enough strength/control of my left arm to manage the quilt through the machine smoothly. I do practice a bit every day and I am gaining control. I have a Jenome 6260QC that I bought a few years ago and it is adequate for now. Hubby said that I can upgrade anytime I want to but (at my age) I don't need a machine that costs thousands of dollars. I will post pics of my quilt top as soon as I get the borders completed. Don't expect much but I am trying.

I'm looking forward to being a long term member of the forum and hope to become a better quilter.
    Last edited by Mary Ruth; March 25th, 2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: edit wording

5. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, my name is Beth and I too am a quiltaholic. I first started quilting with my grandma, my job was to sit under the quilting frame and push the needles up when tying a quilt. My first real quilt I made before I married my DH (Dan) 31 years ago. It was made from scraps from clothes I made for myself and for him, with a few added from Grandma from clothes she had made for me years prior. Gave up quilting when I had my kids then got back into it 3 years ago when I became attached to Dan's cousins who are avid quilters-it really is all their fault.
    I live in Wisconsin, just south of Green Bay. Have 2 grown children who now both live in Green Bay-my son just recently got out of the NAVY and has returned home. Still waiting on grandchildren, my family gives me a hard time because I have several baby quilts made "on spec." You see I have had type 1 diabetes for almost 40 years and have lost a good portion of my eyesight and want to make enough quilts before I can no longer see. They laugh but they have both already "claimed" a quilt or two.
    I am a retired teacher and now work part-time running an after-school care program at the local elementary for the YMCA.
    Love this forum, have gotten inspiration as well as advice/ideas for current projects from the wonderful people here.

7. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You just made me feel much better. I have 4 finished tops that I am trying to get up the courage to quilt. I am a total newbie making lots of mistakes and having a blast in the process. I learned a long time ago that I can choose to laugh or I can choose to cry. I find I laugh alot.
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

9. Thanks Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My name is Sheri McCleery and I'm a total Newbie. I ran a preschool for 10 years and am used to the title, "Miss Sheri". Now I'm a school cook at my children's High School in Utah. I have 4 children and a wonderful husband who all like to fish, hike, bike, play basketball, read, and tease. When my first son was born, [he only lived 45 days] his great-grandma made him a beautiful white quilt with a ducky pull toy appliqued on it. I have wanted to learn to quilt ever since. I am one of 8 kids, born and raised in the Pacific Northwest and transplanted to Utah. My incredible mother sewed for all of us, made my oldest brother a suit for when he turned 12, and made my Wedding Dress off of a handful of photo's I sent her with design aspects off of several different dresses. She fitted it to my younger sister during the entire process, first fitting on me was two days before the wedding! It was perfect! She is one of my heros. I find I am LOVING piecing the quilt tops, but I am a big chicken when it comes to the quilting part. I can't afford to have my hobby, only to send them all out to be quilted, I MUST learn to complete them myself. The one time I tried FMQ, I got the feed dogs lowered but didn't quite understand the thread tensioning bit. After completeing about a 12" square, I took a peek at the back, where I found a strange "fur" of about 1/2" long thread loops all over ~ whoops! LOL. I'm having a blast. Other loves include, reading, gardening, and making handmade cards. Thank you all for your kindness in making me feel so welcome here.
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

11. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, hi newbies!

I had a very good time eating chocolate and reading all of your introductions. What? Chocolate is not good? How can something that tastes so good not be good...? Hrm.

AnyWAY. My name real name is Steffie, I am 34 years old and was born and raised in Germany, Rosenheim (near Munich). At the age of 31 I met my husband online, in one of those bad bad shooter games. Both of us are gamers, we enjoy MMORPGs (hi Anna!! ), Shooters, but nowadays we are hooked to League of Legends. I do not quite know what the Genrename is. Doesn't matter! We love the game, but not the community there (which is mostly teenagers and you know... teenagers on the internet.. well different story.)
    I use my screen name or nickname since 10 years for online gaming and writing gaming related articles. I was a newsposter for a shooter-gaming-team for a while which was quite awesome because it was a paid thing. I got to go for free to LANs (they paid for the flights and the hotel!) and I always had a blast there! If you know who He-Man is then you also know who Evi-Lyn is ... I use a better looking variation. Dee recognized my nickname and sometimes she makes He-Man related jokes which I personally find pretty hilarious!
    My husband Juha who is Finnish made me leave good ol' Germany for Finland. I've been living here for nearly 2 years now. My Finnish skills are not very good yet because the language is a pain to learn. So many vocals... the Swedes here know what I am talking about! Together Juha and I have a daughter, now 6 months old. Her name is Janna. She is the best that has happened to both of us ever (apart from us meeting each other of course ). She is such a sunshine! Everybody just loves her because she is always happy and always smiling! Yes, I am a bit proud of her

I started quilting some months ago after stumbling across Jennys Babyquilt tutorial (the 4 parted one). I am still at the very beginning. I have made some Baby quilts for Janna, my cousins baby and the kids of my friend. Currently I am hooked on making small projects, such as totes and coasters/mug rugs.

What I want to add before I say thanks for reading is that this forum is the most wonderful place in the internet that I have ever found. All the people here are truly awesome. You won't want to leave again, I promise! This is addictive!

Thanks for reading

Hugs, Steffie
    ~* Steffie *~

Life is like a party. You invite a lot of people; some go, some join you, some laugh with you, some didnít come. But in the end, after the fun, there would be a few who would clean up the mess with you. And most of the time, those were the uninvited ones.

My AWESOME new blog (hey, I like it ) http://evilynnigirl.blogspot.fi
    /
    Add me on Facebook: Steffie Eronen

13. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,
    I always come back and come back to this thread and read who you are, where you from, what do you tell us from yourself and all around you, thanks for sharing a little part of your life with us.
    I meet so many nice people here, but nobody from Switzerland. Maybe one day ...

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, I've just joined the online forum and I look forward to lots of fun and new friends on here.
    My name is Miranda and I am an Australian who is living "off shore" as an expat - it was supposed to be 3 years, now 4 countries and 16 years later....my husband George and I have an 11 year old adopted daughter who lives with us in Singapore and a 32 year old son who lives in Australia.
    I started quilting when I was 18 but gave up as (like many) I started on a Queens size quilt as a FIRST project. laugh! It eventually was finished a few years ago. My sister is the real quilter in the family, I'd watched her produce quilt after quilt and when I was in Jakarta, I started teaching quilting before I'd ever made my own full quilt. Laugh. I now teach privately and am in love with making bags and I make "Care Quilts" for friends with major illnesses, cancer, stroke etc, or Major calamity victims like the Japan Tsunami and Christchurch earthquakes. It's unbelievable but after all these years I have yet to make ONE QUILT and keep for myself. Maybe my next project.
    My 11 year old quilts and makes gorgeous handbags that she sells (saving for her university fees). I was self taught, but she has had me as a hard task master and her work is to die for.
    My passion is to find short cut and easy ways of doing things. I was called "a perfectionist" the other day and I nearly fell off my chair laughing. If only!!! Perfection is for quilt shows and I'm never going to be an entrant.
    For my birthday I asked my husband to take our daughter and the dogs out for the day so I could have ONE WHOLE DAY OF UNINTERRUPTED QUILTING. What a blissful luxury that was....... A rarity - a day to myself and my Bernina.
    By the way my husband calls my quilting "your knitting and stuff" to tease me. He says he can never understand why quilters buy perfectly good material, cut it all up and stitch it all back together again, when it was perfectly good in the first place! MEN!!
    I recently followed Jenny's tutorial on Jacob's Ladder and made two reversible dual colourway His and Hers quilts to give to friends in New Zealand. When I arrived there, I found they lived on a stretch called Jacobs Ladder. I nearly died!! I was beyond coincidence
    DON'T FOLLOW YOUR DREAM, CHASE IT!!!

16. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63, HdWench thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all
    Just joined from Swansea in Wales UK. This isn't a good start, didn't know which of the two sticky posts to introduce myself on, sorry if its the wrong one.
    I have always sewn and until recently ran my own (small) bag making business.
    I first became interested in patchwork and quilting when I lived in Blacksburg, Virginia and number of years ago, but have only recently started doing any myself.

18. Thanks Rekmeh, Kathy63 thanked for this post