Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's tell all our newbies a thing or two...

I'm happy to see this bumped up. I've so enjoyed reading all the bio 's.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

love reading all these
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Hi from California! Glad I clicked on this thread to get to know you I started quilting in 2010. I decided I wanted to make a simple quilt for my niece's new baby and when I finished it, I was pleasantly pleased with the cuddly, endearing gift. My interest now piqued, I started googling online sites in search of tutorials and that's when I found Jenny. Her tutorials were so helpful and easy to understand. I did not know about layer cakes, jelly rolls,or even rotary cutters. Yes, I made my first quilt cutting those long strips with SCISSORS! Now, two sewing machines, 3 cutting mats, a Little Gracie frame, and an evolving fabric stash later, I'm enjoying my newfound quilting hobby. I've found some local quilting buddies and we have fun shopping and helping each other with our projects.
    My real name is Joanne. My DH and I, married for 32 years, have two children who are 27 and 24 years old. Our daughter is a school psychologist in Oregon and is getting married this summer! Our son is finishing his last year in college. He's a communications/marketing major. I've taught grades K-4 for over 30 years, I currently teach third grade. My other love is playing the cello. I began taking cello lessons when I was 42. I have always loved the sound of the instrument. So with my husband's help in managing family obligations, I made a commitment to learn to play. It has been one of the most enriching things I've done. After my hand accident last year, I'm back playing music at church, a community pops orchestra, and chamber orchestra at a local university. I can't believe I've played for 14 years. Thank you all again for your prayers for healing. I still go to hand therapy, hope to be done soon.
    Since our kids are out of the house, our babies are our three fun-loving border collies, a tuxedo cat, and a zebra finch. We love them so! I thank God for your friendship, support, and advice. You are a great group of caring quilters!

4. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6803b9ec_bump3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	42879

We need to see if we can get a sticky attached to this thread.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I'm Annette, I grew up in a town named: Woodchoppertown, PA , it is down around the Reading Area. I'm Penna. Dutch. I can understand it and speak the bad words. lol I got my first sewing machine when I was 12 years old for Christmas. My Mother made all our clothing for us. We only bought socks and underwear and shoes. I took sewing in school. My first sewing project was an a-line skirt. I was suppose to hem it, but couldn't get it done in school. So I brought it home. My Mom hemmed it up for me. I got a grade of B+ on it. I came home and told my Mom she got a B+ on her hemming. I think that made her day!! Every summer we would make clothes to go on our 2 week trip to the mountains. We would plan this well in advance so we would be ready for camping. I grew up in a family of camping, fishing, and hunting. As I got older we would spend most of our time up in the mountains of Penna. My goal in life was to move up there. So when I was 21 years old, I quit my job working at a Headlight factory, to move up here with my Parents and Sister. I'm still living here after 34 years. I married a dairy farmer had 3 children and 18 years later got divorced. Met my 2nd husband of 6 years of marriage in April, We have been together for 13 years. Between the both of us we have 6 children, 8 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild. We live on top of a mountain with lots of wild life around us. My Husband and I have a home based sewing business making hunting accessories for hunters. So my Husband also sews. Plus he does wood working. I first learned how to quilt when my oldest son was a baby. My mother showed me how to hand quilt on a cheater quilt. My first big quilt was a log cabin which I hand quilted. It took me 2 years to do. I won first place on it at the Potter County fair. I have been quilting ever since. I attend quilt meetings every month in Smethport, PA My Mother, who is 70 goes with me. We share alot of ideas and new techniques with each other. We live about 25 miles from each other and talk on the phone at least every night. I work part time as a cashier. I was a CNA for 8 years and a certified Phlebotomist. I used to have a Cafe, but had to shut it down due to lack of not enough business to keep it going. My goal is to someday have my own Quilt shop. As for hobbies I also crochet, and do crafts and painting. My husband and I spend alot of time camping, hunting and fishing.
    I have found this site to be very interesting and love reading the history behind everyone.
    Next!!!

7. Thanks lb1kenobie, Rekmeh, HdWench, Lisapc thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I'm Judy. I am one of the newbies y'all are introducing yourselves to. I was born in Cleveland, OH, but have lived on both coasts and in-between over the years. 6.5 years ago I married my high school sweetheart after having been apart for over 30 years. After high school, he went his way and I went mine, but we found each other on the internet and were married shortly thereafter. I had 3 grown kids, he had five. Now we have 8 kids, 7 in-law kids, and 9 grandkids with another due in May. None of them live close by our small farm in rural Virginia so it means a lot of traveling to spend time with them. Speaking of the farm, we raise chickens (75 of them) for their eggs (not their meat) and are happy to sell them to the many people that are looking for something other than a store-bought white egg. We also have 2 donkeys that we took in when they were too much for the previous owner. They are absolutely delightful - just like really big dogs! Our baby goats should arrive in May so that will only add to the menagerie outside. Inside the house we have 2 chocolate labs and a cat to complete our "little" family. I am a registered nurse having worked in the NICU and as the Regional Nurse Manager of a home health company, but with my husband retired (3 times he tried it and now he's gotten it right) I decided to hang up my nursing shoes for a pair of farm boots. That decision has given me the time I need to create (everybody needs to spend a little time creating something!) - and I decided that quilting was going to be that outlet. When my dad died several years ago, I found a quilt top that my great-grandmother had completely hand stitched that my dad had been saving. I now have it and have looked at it over the years with the intent of someday learning how to finish it for her. That was my original goal, but I started watching Eleanor Burns and Fons and Porter tv shows and got a little hooked. Then I found this site and have been inspired by all of you and the tutes. Just today I received the border and backing fabrics that I needed to complete my first lap quilt so I hope to be able to post a picture of my first adventure in quilting in another week or so - that is if it turns out ok! Once I have successfully backed, bound, and quilted my quilt, I will tackle my great grandmothers. I think she would have been pleased that I find it to be such a treasure. When I'm not sewing or feeding some farm animal, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, or cooking. Fortunately for me, my husband also loves to cook and is a fantastic baker. We are also 6 years into a 2 year project to restore a 100 year old farmhouse. I just recently got to move off the dining room table into a real sewing room!!! Thanks for letting me share a little piece of myself and I look forward to continuing to read these posts to get to know all of you better.
    Judy

9. Thanks Rekmeh, HdWench, Lisapc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

These bio's are great. I think I've read them all twice.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello I'm Ginny and live in Huntersville NC (minutes North of Charlotte). I'm have two wonderful sons who are 28 & 30 now and a great daughter in-law. I can't forget to mention the love of my life my DH Andy I'm currently 50 lol, and a late starter. I learned to use a sewing machine a year ago to make a quilt for my dear friends in India who were having a baby and I haven't been able to stop! I've always wanted to make quilts and now that I know how to use the sewing machine lol I am trying to gain all of the wisdom I can from this wonderful forum. Oh and I can't stop buying fabric - guess that makes me a fabric addict. For all of the new folks joining this forum, you will love it. There are so many talented people, caring people, helpful people, etc. on this forum and M* is such a wonderful company for allowing us to have this place to meet up. Happy Quilting and Blessings.
    Thank you,

Ginny K

12. Thanks Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all
    I am very new to this forum. My name is Tina, the same as my screen name, I am 42yrs old and I live in Canberra, Australia. I was born and lived for 24 yrs in London. My DH is Australian and we met and married whilst he was on a working holiday in the UK. He frequently says I am the best souvenir he has every brought back from a holiday (our 20th wedding anniversary is in May lol). We have never been fortunate enough to have kids ourselves but love and spoil when ever possible our 3 neices and god-daughter, its just a pity they all live in the UK.

I started to sew and quilt back in the last 90's but haven't done much quilting until recently. I have recently finished my first full sized quilts for two of my beloved neices and now have another two full sized quilts and two cot quilts for babies due this year (hopefully all before August so I can post to the UK for xmas).

One of my other hobbies is cross stitching and I am thinking of getting someone to show me how to applique soon. I also love reading, travelling (last year I fulfilled a dream to visit Angkor Wat) and my adorable 3 fur kids, two cats and one dog.

Tina

14. Thanks Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! My name is Sherri; I live near the KC Metro, Missouri. I have been quilting since 1993, but not as consistant as i would have liked to....I decided years ago that I would pick up the staff of my Grandmother Gladys's tradition of family quilts.
    I am a mother to 5 children total (two step children and three of my own). Ranging in ages from 31 to 12. And we live all over the US; Vermont, Texas, Kansas, California and Missouri. My husband's family hails from Maryland, we met on the phone 17 years ago and have been happily married for 15 years! We also have two grandsons.
    My quilting becomes inconsistant because of our busy schedule!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

16. Thanks Rekmeh, HdWench thanked for this post