Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How many Charm packs for a queen size simple block quilt?

SewBee thanks so much. I am coping and pasting that to my documents for future reference!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Good info...thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The twin charm quilt is a 12x16 layout. That's why you need 5 charm packs. Then you add your boarder. But at least you get a general idea from these measurements. Thanks for the info Sewbee. Hugs, Jan

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

It's important to make a distinction between squares and blocks. A square is just a piece of fabric with equal measurements on all sides. A block is made from several pieces of fabric (squares, rectangles, triangles, etc.) sewn together to create a design. And then the blocks are sewn together to make the quilt top, table runner, whatever.

When you look at charts like the one from eBay, make absolutely sure that they are not using "block" and "square" to describe the same thing.

Also, all blocks are not created equal. To determine how many squares (charms, mini-charms, layer cakes) you need to make a bed covering, you should pick out your pattern first and find out how many cut pieces are required to make one block. For example, is it a simple four-patch? Then this means you would need FOUR squares to make one block. If it's a 9-patch, you will need NINE squares to make one block.

The more complicated the block pattern, the more pieces you will need and the more seams there will be in each block. This means that a 4-patch block made from charms will measure larger than a 9-patch made from charms. And a 9-patch block made using charms only will measure larger than a basic 9-patch block design such as Shoo Fly or Greek Cross.

The Guild President

Spotsylvania, Virginia near Fredericksburg, Va
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sewbee View Post
    Here you go ladies! Don't know how accurate this is but I found this on Ebay under their free quides:

HOW MANY BLOCKS DO I NEED TO MAKE MY QUILT??
    10" BLOCKS
    We are providing quilters with these handy charts of some of the more popular block sizes in hopes that it will provide quidance and the information necessary to purchase or make the correct number of blocks. There are so many beautiful block kits available on Ebay today but many quilters are uncertain of how many blocks they will need to purchase in order to make their quilt.
    The number of blocks in our chart below are based on the mattress size only.
    Add extra blocks or borders for drop at sides of mattress. Happy Quilting!

CRIB size = 30" x 40"
    12 Ten Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 3 x 4

TWIN size = 40" x 80"
    32 Ten Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 4 x 8

FULL Size = 60" x 80"
    48 Ten Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 6 x 8

QUEEN Size = 60" x 80"
    48 Ten Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 6 x 8

KING Size = 80" x 80"
    64 Ten Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 8 x 8

8" BLOCKS
    8" blocks are such a common size now with so many precut quilt kits available today.
    Knowing how many you need for your desired size quilt can be very confusing.
    Hopefully the chart below will give you some guidance and get rid of a lot of the confusion .

CRIB size = 24" x 48"
    18 Eight Inch Blocks
    Layout = 3 x 6

TWIN size = 40" x 80"
    50 Eight Inch Blocks
    Layout = 5 x 10

FULL Size = 56" x 80"
    70 Eight Inch Blocks
    Layout = 7 x 10

QUEEN Size = 64" x 80"
    80 Eight Inch Blocks
    Layout = 8 x 10

KING Size = 80" x 80"
    100 Eight Inch Blocks
    Layout = 10 x 10

6" BLOCKS
    We are providing quilters with these handy charts of some of the more popular block sizes in hopes that it will provide quidance and the information necessary to purchase or make the correct number of blocks. There are so many beautiful block kits available on Ebay today but many quilters are uncertain of how many blocks they will need to purchase in order to make their quilt.

CRIB size = 24" x 48"
    32 Six Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 4 x 8

TWIN size = 40" x 80"
    91 Six Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 7 x 13

FULL Size = 56" x 80"
    117 Six Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 9 x 13

QUEEN Size = 64" x 80"
    130 Six Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 10 x 13

KING Size = 80" x 80"
    182 Six Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 13 x 14

How many 5" charms do I need to complete my quilt?

We are providing quilters with these handy charts of some of the more popular block sizes in hopes that it will provide quidance and the information necessary to purchase or make the correct number of blocks or quilt squares / charms. There are so many beautiful block kits and charm packs available on Ebay today but many quilters are uncertain of how many blocks they will need to purchase in order to make their quilt.

CRIB size = 25" x 45"
    45 Five Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 5 x 9

TWIN size = 40" x 75"
    120 Five Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 8 x 15

FULL Size = 55" x 75"
    165 Five Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 11 x 15

QUEEN Size = 60" x 80"
    192 Five Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 12 x 16

KING Size = 80" x 80"
    256 Five Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 16 x 16

4" BLOCKS

CRIB size = 24" x 48"
    72 Four Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 6 x 12

TWIN size = 40" x 80"
    190 Four Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 10 x 19

FULL Size = 56" x 80"
    266 Four Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 14 x 19

QUEEN Size = 64" x 80"
    300 Four Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 15 x 20

KING Size = 80" x 80"
    380 Four Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 19 x 20

3" BLOCKS
    By popular demand we are adding a chart for 3" blocks or squares.
    The 3" (and 2") square is very frequently the square used for WATERCOLOR quilting.
    With this chart you will know exactly how many squares you need to purchase to make your desired size quilt or wallhanging.

CRIB size = 24" x 48"
    128 Three Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 8 x 16

TWIN size = 40" x 80"
    325 Three Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 13 x 25

FULL Size = 56" x 80"
    450 Three Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 18 x 25

QUEEN Size = 64" x 80"
    540 Three Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 20 x 27

KING Size = 80" x 80"
    702 Three Inch Blocks Needed
    Layout = 26 x 27
    This is very helpful!
    Thank you so much for posting! I needed information about the full size with 6 inch blocks... You saved my brain cells!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!!

All of the above :-)

Plus I'll mention it's cheaper to buy layer cakes and cut into 4 charm packs.

To convert inches to centimetres, multiple the total number of inches by 2.54

Cheers, Pami

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

anotheI am fairly new to doing quilts and have seen many patterns out there now for charmpacks but never knew how many it would take

Heres what I found based on the 5x5 charmpacks...

Crib/lap 42x50 need 120
    twin 69x90 need 320
    full 84x90 need 380
    queen 90x96 need 440
    king 104x96 need 528

These figures are based on using the squares only - you could cut down the number of squares by using borders etcr source of information-taken from the Quilting Board website

8. Thanks zaneyzelda thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bellasnanny247 View Post
    Crib/lap 42x50 need 120
    twin 69x90 need 320
    full 84x90 need 380
    queen 90x96 need 440
    king 104x96 need 528
    I'm VERY new to quilting. So much so I only used a sewing machine for the first time a couple of weeks ago. That being the case I'm nowhere near game enough to try a large quilt at this time.

However, I'm wondering how you go about getting enough matching charm packs to make a queen or king size one? For a king size you would need 14 packs of 40 5x5 squares (based on the quoted table). I've never seen that many matching packs for sale anywhere - store or eBay. And worse still, charm packs in Australia seem to be sold more in the 20 per pack range.

So I'm guessing most experienced quilters, those who make queen and king size ones would actually buy fabric off the bolt and cut their own squares (or whatever shaped is required) to ensure enough squares/blocks to complete the project.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dalronix View Post
    I'm VERY new to quilting. So much so I only used a sewing machine for the first time a couple of weeks ago. That being the case I'm nowhere near game enough to try a large quilt at this time.

However, I'm wondering how you go about getting enough matching charm packs to make a queen or king size one? For a king size you would need 14 packs of 40 5x5 squares (based on the quoted table). I've never seen that many matching packs for sale anywhere - store or eBay. And worse still, charm packs in Australia seem to be sold more in the 20 per pack range.

So I'm guessing most experienced quilters, those who make queen and king size ones would actually buy fabric off the bolt and cut their own squares (or whatever shaped is required) to ensure enough squares/blocks to complete the project.
    Pamipatch is right. Buy a layer cake and then cut it into 4 charm packs would be a cheaper way to go.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisapc View Post
    Pamipatch is right. Buy a layer cake and then cut it into 4 charm packs would be a cheaper way to go.
    Thanks, Lisa. Layer cake was a new term for me but now I know what it means:

Fat Quarters, Jelly Rolls and Layer Cakes | eBay
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"