Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Today I shave my head!!

I started a charitable organization called Klipz 4 Kidz. Today we have our big event to raise money and awareness for childhood cancers. I have known 5 kids in the past 5 years who have been diagnose with cancer.....1 has died...2 are in remission ... 2 are still in treatment. One of the kids in treatment is a student of mine at my preschool.

So I decided I had had enough. 7 kids die every day of cancer. 46 are diagnosed every day. Cancer is the leading cause of disease related death among children under the age of 20. The only risk factor for being diagnosed with childhood cancer is that you are a child. At this point in time, there is no prevention, no early detection and limited treatment options.While awareness for cancer as a whole has skyrocketed, awareness for childhood cancer falls short. Let’s face it, no one wants to talk about children dying…it is depressing. But the fact remains that children are dying everyday.

In the year 2007, federal funding for breast cancer research totaled 843 million (acco.org and cancer.gov); while childhood cancer research funding was somewhere between 30 and 180 million. The awareness campaign of the pink ribbon has also been incredibly successful, bringing an additional 250 million to the cause. It is time to bring on the same kind of awareness for childhood cancer. With awareness comes support. With support comes funding for research. With more research comes options for prevention, treatment, and perhaps even a cure.

So today...I along with 5 other moms... will shave their heads to raise awareness. So if you live in the Huntsville AL area, please come out to Bridge Street Town Center (by PF Changs) and support these wonderful women who are sacrificing their vanity...right before Christmas...to pay homage to children and their families who sometimes give the ultimate sacrifice.
    Michele

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Today I shave my head!!

Your actions renew my faith in humanity. So many people talk about taking action for a cause, but few really do what they say.

Thank you.

Happy Sewing,
    Rae

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Michele, go you Moms! My cousins grandchild was born with cancer in his thigh and underwent 2 operations by the time he was 8 months old! My other cousin's daughter had Leukemia at age 5 and my own granddaughter has a variant disease that a lot like Leukemia which is Aplastic Anemia. There is no known cure and if she had full blown Leukemia she would have a 95%cure rate. So thank you for standing up for the kids.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

how can this northern MN, mom help? please respond. my name is Gina. what can i do?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone would like to donate please send an email to klipz4kidz@gmail.com and we will get you information on how you can help. Thank you!!
    Michele

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is great what you are doing. I too work at a preschool and we had a student a few years back that had cancer. Thankfully he survived. You want us all to knit you a toboggan or I guess I should say quilt one.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
    You want us all to knit you a toboggan or I guess I should say quilt one.

LOL..................
    Michele

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's really touching Shell.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning, Michele
    thank you for braving the cold weather hairless for such a worthy cause. What a wonderful thing to do. Sorry that I missed reading this last week.
    Just think of all the fun things you can do with your new hair styles as it grows out. That is how many of my adult cancer patient clients feel. My mom's hair grew back soooo thick. My cousin's too.
    God bless.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle