Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanted: Crock pot recipes (from scratch)

I have a very uncommon thing here in Sweden: A crock pot! And how I love it. I've had it for a couple of years now and I've pretty much "snowed in" on a few favourite recipes and would love some inspiration and where better to ask? With all the helpful people in here and so many from the slow cooker home of U.S. I'm sure I will get some nice new treats, tried and tested!

So - do you have any good crock pot recipes? I would very much love for them to be made from scratch, ie not using any sauces etc that are store bought (boulliouns/stocks are perfectly ok!). Partly because I most likely won't have access to the same sauces here (we most likely have similar stuff but who knows) and partly because I like to know what I put in the dishes.

Thank you in advance!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wanted: Crock pot recipes (from scratch)

Corned beef brisket, 4 potatoes peeled andcubed, cabbage chopped fill pot with water

and a pint of Guinness cook on high 4-6 hours..yummy
    These things, I warmly wish for you-
    Someone to love, some work to do,
    A bit'o sun, a bit'o cheer.
    And a guardian angel always near.

(¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Shannon

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=64

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One I make is salsa chicken. layer boneless chicken breasts with a jar of salsa, a can of corn and a can of drained black beans.let it cook until the chicken is done. Now you can either serve the whole breast with the veggies or shred the chicken and fill soft tortillas with it. Also great served over rice.
    I also cut up a lot of onions, bell peppers and mushrooms and cover boneless chicken with them. add some chicken stock and let it cook. Before serving i stir flour into some cream and add it to the broth to thicken. serve over rice. No, I don't have actual amounts for this, i usually "wing it" with whatever I have on hand. the last time I made this I threw in some white wine I had sitting around. quite tasty!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I put slices of potato and slices of carrots in the bottom of the Crock Pot, and then add a chuck roast on top. Add some beef broth, cook for about 8 hours. Take the roast and potatoes, and carrots out, thicken the broth into a gravy and serve. I do use some garlic, and onion powder and some cilantro for seasoning. My DH and my kids always liked this. I have also made stew, all kinds of soups and even a dessert. Bread pudding is wonderful in the crock pot.
    Go to www.mrfood.com They have some great recipes that are basic. From there you can get an idea of how long to cook things, and what seasonings work. Then before you know it, you'll be making up your own recipes. On mrfood.com look for the slow cooker recipes. That's what they call the crock pot. Have fun and enjoy! I'll go through some of the recipes I've made up or copied and send them too you. Hugs, Jan L.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

5. Thanks Deb7643 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!! Definatly doing some of these the next weeks here.

"Until the chicken is done" I've made the mistake of cooking chicken for too long and while the flavour was WONDERFUL (white wine, mushrooms, shallots in that one) the chicken was so soft it fell apart and the texture got a bit strange lol.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shannonsaulter View Post
    Corned beef brisket, 4 potatoes peeled andcubed, cabbage chopped fill pot with water

and a pint of Guinness cook on high 4-6 hours..yummy
    Ohh, sounds delicious and St. Patrick's day is coming soon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Father-in laws favorite, potato soup, couple cans chicken or vegetable broth, slice 2 large potatoes, celery & onion chopped a little salt and pepper let cook 7 hrs, mix about a cup of whole milk or cream with about 1/4 cup flour add to pot stir well let cook another hour. If desired make it loaded baked potato soup by garnishing with crumbled cooked bacon and shredded cheese.

9. Thanks Wwena thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds delish! I have a potato soup recipe I haven't thought to try to slow cook but now I'm gonna.
    ~ Anna ~

My Pinterest

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Food.com is a great online cookbook - put crockpot in the search and you'll find a bunch of recipes, plus it has metric measurements for you! I turned Klasien on to it as my DD Kat had a pot roast recipe from there that we really like.

Ruby
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just put this is my crock pot this morning:

Peeled slice potatoes
    diced ham
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/3 tea thyme
    2/3 cup of milk
    salt and pepper
    1 diced onion

Layer 1/2 sliced potatoes,ham cheddar cheese, onion; repeat

In a bowl mix cream of mushroom soup, milk, thyme, salt and pepper; pour over mixture.

Cook on high for 1 hour, then reduce to low.......cook until potatoes are tender

Enjoy