Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needle size?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Needle size?

Okay, feeling uber-dumb, but here goes: What size machine needle do you folks use when piecing using regular quilting cotton fabric? Seems I ought to know, but then I start second-guessing every little thing....

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Needle size?

I use Schmetz universal needle 80/12.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not uber-dumb at all
    I use to use a universal needle, but recently took an online class and the instructor recommended sharp topstitch - an 80/12 for lighter thread (and invisible thread) and a 90/14 for heavier threads. I just have started using these, by Schmetz, and I like them so far.

The reason she said for the sharp needle is that a universal needle still has a little ball on the end to go through knits, and that you don't want that for cotton. I had never paid much attention to my needle, but I like how this one is sewing.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marebear View Post
    Not uber-dumb at all
    I use to use a universal needle, but recently took an online class and the instructor recommended sharp topstitch - an 80/12 for lighter thread (and invisible thread) and a 90/14 for heavier threads. I just have started using these, by Schmetz, and I like them so far.

The reason she said for the sharp needle is that a universal needle still has a little ball on the end to go through knits, and that you don't want that for cotton. I had never paid much attention to my needle, but I like how this one is sewing.
    That was me too!
    Dream, Explore, Experience!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Quilty Friends!! This is why I am almost as addicted to this forum as I am to quilting!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, glad you asked that question. I just learned something too.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I use 80/12 for piecing and 90/14 for quilting.

I'm a total fabriholic...please PM me if you are de-stashing!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - Thanks for asking I've been using the Schmitz Universal 80/12 -- didn't know they were suppose to be Sharps!! Cool

:-Debbie
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I had my Bernina 830 for 2 1/2 years and couldn't sew 40 wt. spools of thread. I asked the dealer's wife why the thread kept breaking. She didn't know. I asked my LQS owner, she didn't know. I asked at another forum, no on knew. I finally asked the dealer himself and he asked what size needle I used. I said "whatever was on my sewing machine'. He went and got a 100 needle and put in my 40 wt. Mettler and it sewed like a dream. I told him my machine hated varigated thread and would break constantly. Keeping the 100 needle, he used the varigated thread and it worked perfectly. I was using the wrong size needle for 2 1/2 years. I had to buy lots of cones of Presencia thread - cones for $25 - 50 wt. so the thread wouldn't break. And it was all because I didn't know I was using too small of a needle. If you go to Superior Threads, they have a Univeristy that you can copy that will tell you what size needle to use with what thread. I made many copies of that. Now I can do machine applique with colored thread!!! I didn't know that the size of the needle mattered except for jeans.
    Jeanne from the foothills of NE Oregon

If you're going to walk on water, you're going to walk all over me.

Remember! Your instincts are more important than any rules!!

The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness -
    You have to catch it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

10. Thanks lourixe thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I learned something here today too! I have ben struggling with this, and not remembering when I buy them, but learned to buy ball point ones since they havea sharper point. I bought ones specifically for quilting - called "quilting needles" (for machine) and I haven't used them yet (I buy with 50% off coupon and keep some in "stock") But the 80 or 90 - can never remember that but will now write it down (duh!!!!) and put it in my wallet for next time!

I had heard it was poly thread for the top quilting/FMQ and cotton thread for piece assembly, but no diff in the needles. Now I know!

I also learned by accident on my Singer Quantum 9960 - the threader featuer (where you pull the little arm thing down and push the thread into the tiny little claw thingy and then release and it threads the needle) I recently learned quite by accident that it only works with SINGER brand needles! I had fits with it not working and having to thread my my own eyeball and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. I was using universal brand. I then on sale, bought Singer brand as they were cheaper with my coupon, and suddenly, the threader was working like a charm! I forget now how I put the two together to figure this out...or maybe I read it and forgot it in my "stash" in my mind and the light blub just went off (albeit belatedly!) But I will now only use SInger brand needles to be able to use that threader!