Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Big problems with Husqvarna Viking Sewing/Embroidery machines

I so agree with you! I love my Viking and haven't had any issues. I do think the dealer has a lot to do with it and that goes for any brand you purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by WVGranny View Post
    I have 3 vikings and have had good luck with them the designer 1 -the sapphire- and the ruby I do think the dealer has alot to do with it they should have given you a loaner find a good dealer then buy a new machine when you can nothing like being disapointed in your machine
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cat n bull View Post
    This thread is a year old, but it made me think! There was a little something that kept nagging me, but I couldn't quite grasp it, until I read Katie's statement about waiting for parts.

There are only a few sewing machine manufacturing facilities in the world now, and the vast bulk of them are in Asia. ALL sewing machine brands are produced there now. The research and development is more spread out globally. The parts manufacturing is more spread out globally. But the actual physical construction of the machines is predominantly in China, Taiwan, Vietnam. Brother just opened the largest sewing machine factory in the world in Vietnam.

Some brands share parent holding companies, some brands share manufacturing plant space with other brands, none of that matters as far as the QUALITY of the machines available for purchase.

What matters is each individual brand's quality control measures. And also, equally important, the quality of the parts they purchase.

Seems like this thread was about faulty parts manufactured for Viking. Very recently Bernina had a whole series of machines with faulty parts. In the not so distant past, Pfaff had machines with faulty parts. Janome did.

It doesn't matter what country the actual manufacturing facility is sitting in, or what nationality the hands that assemble the machines are, if the parts in the machine aren't right the machine is not going to work properly!

There is currently not a single brand of sewing machine that has not had serious quality control issues with a model or two. It is not a matter of where the machines are built, it is a matter of how does the company respond when quality issues arise?

No sewing machine is produced today the same way it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. The sewing machine industry did not stagnate and stop moving forward, on a global level. It is 2014 and this is the world of mass produced machinery.

Instead of worrying about what country your machine is produced in, which is going to take you some serious time because you will have to track down the country each PART was produced in, focus on where you BUY your machine from.

The difference between people that have satisfactory outcomes when a machine has problems and the people that are so angry they never want to look at the machine again, is very very frequently the shop where it was purchased from.

I am speaking about new machine purchases. The dealer has to work with the manufacturer on behalf of the customer. For used machines, you would no longer have the manufacturers support.
    Same goes for cars. Every manufacturer has had recalls. Mass production. Great explanation. I will keep this in mind.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have three Janomes....two Jems (Gold and Platinum) , and a DC2007LE... I haven't had any trouble with any of them. They are 15, about 12, and 7 years old ( the 2007).

My next machine will more than likely be another Janome.... Although I have been looking at some Brothers. They have a couple of features that I would love to have.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to convert those HUS files to another format. I would surely look into that before limiting yourself to one brand of machine.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I donated my Viking Embroidery machine after only 6 years of use because it "needed" a $500.00 motor head replaced. I will never recommend that brand. Also, every attachment, presser foot, or accessory was out of the ballpark, pricewise. I replaced it with a Brother that cost less than half of what we paid for the Viking and love it. I've used Babylock which I also like. Accessories, feet, etc. are all reasonably priced. I am considering getting an inexpensive Singer or Kenmore to have when it's time for a repair or tune-up. I feel your pain!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

The original Designer I were much better quality than the ones they make today. My friend still has one from 2000, and loves it. Still going strong, her dealer told her to keep it because of the quality of her machine. I bought one in 2001 but traded it up for another machine.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My main issue with the whole thing was the dealer and the very poor way they handled the situation. It soured me on the whole brand. I know if the dealer ISNT located in JoAnns it seems they are run much better and actually give a crap about customer service.

It's all about the dealer.
    Katie's Quilting Corner
    Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
    Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

8. Thanks Blondie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vita View Post
    I have a Huskystar c10 by Viking. It worked for a very short time after I got it and then it (I think) misfired with the needle once and punched the bobbin case with the needle. After that it would frequently get seized up there. At the time I was completely new to sewing and I had no idea what to do. I brought it back to the shop, as it was under warranty still, and they "fixed" it and returned it to me. Same problem was still there. So I went to Walmart and bought a $150 Brother (much MUCH cheaper than the Viking). The Brother has never given me problem. I recently took it all apart, cleaned out all the lint and oiled everything. Put it back together and she runs great and purrs.
    The Huskystar sat in a closet for about 4 years, but recently I decided I wanted to really get back into learning to sew and quilt. So, I took out the Huskystar and looked it over, figured out it was getting hung up on this little needle punchmark on the bobbin case - maybe the case was just faulty, I don't know. I bought a generic after market replacement bobbin case that was stated to fit this machine on ebay. Replaced that. Replaced one of the leveling feet that got lost somewhere in the closet never to be seen again. Got a new power cord, also lost. I took everything apart and cleaned and oiled everything… and now she (crossing fingers) has been working great. I have her set up for FMQ with a modified generic darning foot. Been working great. Still prefer my el cheapo Brother for most of my sewing. If I ever am able to upgrade I will probably get a Janome.
    I had the same Huskystar C10 and the same thing happened to me. I purchased it quite a few years ago and didn't use it very often. I started quilting last summer and continued to have that problem. During that time the thread guide on the top broke off. I took it to the dealer inside JoAnn's to get it repaired. They charged me $109.00 to clean it before they would even look at it. Then they had the machine for 2 months waiting for the part. The dealer lied to me frequently about why it was taking so long (when I finally picked it up she showed me her log and she hadn't even ordered the part until a week before I picked it up). The part was $.99. Really! After I got it home it seized up again and the repair man had not even mentioned the bobbin case that had holes in it and he cut the foot cord and had taped it back together with electrical tape and then denied having done it. By this time I was done and had purchased a new Pfaff. I did not even consider a Viking because of the dealer issues. The dealer can make or break a brand for you. I ordered new parts for the Viking and gave it to my DIL. It is an upgrade for her and she only uses it for hems and minor sewing projects.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hus/Viking has gone way downhill... in 2000 when I worked in a Sewing Store... I was privy to a lot of info from the sewing machine dept... I bought myself a Designer1.. back then a lot of money for me.. it has been fabulous for machine embroidery. I learned all there was to learn and had a blast... I NEVER sewed an item with it...LOL only ME...but that thing is still hanging in there for ME.. I had a new "board" put in it after about 8 yrs.. but of course working there it was much cheaper.. I still have the contact man if it needs more work,,but everything I've seen and heard as of that time has been downhill for them.. the price of software for it and many of the machines is ridiculous... there are places on the net where you can get programs to make your machines work if need be, but for me it's Janome and Brother.. affordable and sturdy!
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Husqvarna ( Viking ) Designer SE....I was taught ( finally ! ) how to use the automatic threader.......then 3-4 days after I learned how to use it...the threader wouldn't work...AT ALL. I took it into the shop here in town and one of the gals that has worked there for a long time tried to use the automatic threader as well and she couldn't. She discovered that it is "out " of place....( no it isn't bent ) and told me to bring the machine into the shop this next week and the repair guy would fix it.
    I then thought of this thread.....Paying the price I did for this machine and now having the automatic threader not working ( I only used it 5-6 times....isn't a good sign either. Makes you wonder !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"