• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2AsMommy
    Rotary Pro
    • May 2012

Swaps, etc..

So since I am so new to this site and quilting/sewing in general. What is a swap? Explain to me in laymans terms what you do. whats the process?

Do you make mulitple squares? does everyone end up with a quilt top when done?

Thanks!
    Stacey
  • K. McEuen
    Super Moderator
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Swaps, etc..

A swap is pretty much what you describe. A pattern is chosen, or a specific sized block if not a pattern. Say 10 people join, you would make 10 blocks, send them to the host, and receive back 10 blocks (1 of yours and 9 other blocks, 1 from each member of the swap). For smaller swaps you will sometimes make 2 blocks per member so you end up with enough blocks for a bigger quilt.

You can hit the Groups page and go in and read some of the different swap instructions for a better idea.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Madeforyouinma11
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

I just did a D9P swap. Still waiting for it to end so I can get my blocks. We made a 9patch and cut it into 4 squares and sent 4 squares for each player. Some of them are just fabric squares and the amount is determined by the group/leader. Fabriclovr does many of the swaps with squares and blocks.
      I'm also doing a mug rug swap. We each make a mug rug and on 2/15 we will each get a name and address to send it to.
      All groups explain the rules of the swap, and if you don't understand them, just ask questions until you are clear what the rules are. Everyone is very friendly and will help you til you understand.
      Cil
      A quilt is a blanket of love
      http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
      http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

• GinnyKNC
        Missouri Star
        • Sep 2012

If you click on the Groups at the top menu bar, it lists all the groups. Each swap puts directions in their group. It's a nice way to get a variety of fabrics for quilts.
        Thank you,

Ginny K

Comment

• Granny Judy
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2011

Stacey, the others have explained the swaps pretty well, I Just wanted to say a quick Hello and encourage you to jump in on a swap of your choice.
          Just hit the "join" button on the swap you want, read the "rules" or "INSTRUCTIONS". Then if you have any problem with understanding what is required, just post in that group.. You can always choose to "LEAVE" anytime you want. The ladies are so help ful and Nice!!! You'll have a good time, guaranteed!!!
          Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
          :icon_wave:

Comment

• jennyann
            The Guild President
            • Dec 2012

I too, have just sent in my D9P squares. I have also signed up for the fabric swaps of jelly roll strips and charm squares. So far I am really enjoying the swaps and cannot wait to get the different fabric back! I am very new to quilting and I am using the swaps to help bring variety to my stash of fabric.

Comment

• HdWench
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2012

Hey Stacey! This is TONS of fun!! Seriously to exchange your fabric and get someone else's... like a little gift in the mail of a fabric YOUR store probably doesn't have -- And your new quilt will have Love from the other folks :-) How cool is that?

Until I learn how to cut better hahaha I'm in the Mug Rug Swap (this is SO much fun!!!), and a couple other groups. I love this forum because folks think of such fun ways to become friends around the globe.

Enjoy yourself

:-Debbie
              Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2012

There is one swap group that needs some more members, that would be a good place to start. It's the small print charms swap. I'm hoping to make a baby quilt with my new goodies.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                X