Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Do i need a fancy quilting machine?

So im new to quilting.. and i have made a few but i love the designs on top that are done with the long arm quilting machine.. But do i need to pay thousands of dollars to get those results from home?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do i need a fancy quilting machine?

noyou can get those results on your own machine. and some day i will have the courage to do so . but for now i just do stitch in the ditch.

Batting Beauty

I live in two places. In the fingerlakes of New York and in Cana,Virginia.
    Post Thanks / Like

I can now answer this with confidence. The answer is no...but they sure would make life alot easier. I think each of us would LOVE to have one but you can get similar results from your machine.
    In fact when I couldnt sleep last night I decided to play around with my own machine. I took a two small pieces of fabric and some batting and ...NOW Im sure others will have a better idea but I took tissue paper...copied a coloring book page and stitched it out..The tissue paper worked and after I could just tear it off. I would of used a marking pencil that washes off with water but didn't have one handy. There are also a million blogs and tons of information out on the net on this subject. But that is just my two cents today
    One Moment at a time

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Do i need a fancy quilting machine?

You can also go to some quilting shops and rent time on a longarm machine. Usually they make you take a class on how to use it first and then charge you by the hour to rent the machine. Or you can let them do it for you and pay by the inch. Depending on how big your item to be quilted it can get to be in the hundreds. If you do it by renting the machine it is cheaper. That's how it is around here. Hugs, Jan

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My machine is pretty basic but computerized. I bought a walking foot and a free motion foot to use for quilting.

That's a good idea Laura! I want to practice free motion on my machine and was wondering what to do without marking the fabric. Happy to see you back on the forums!

Jan- they rent machines around here too-but I'm pretty intimidated by them. I've watched videos on them and am amazed at the work the quilters do and they're talking at the same time! I'd have to pay attention and be real quiet.
    Shelia

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Laura108 View Post
    I can now answer this with confidence. The answer is no...but they sure would make life alot easier. I think each of us would LOVE to have one but you can get similar results from your machine.
    In fact when I couldnt sleep last night I decided to play around with my own machine. I took a two small pieces of fabric and some batting and ...NOW Im sure others will have a better idea but I took tissue paper...copied a coloring book page and stitched it out..The tissue paper worked and after I could just tear it off. I would of used a marking pencil that washes off with water but didn't have one handy. There are also a million blogs and tons of information out on the net on this subject. But that is just my two cents today
    did you stitch that out with free motion or a walking foot

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

laura108, i like that idea. can you show us how?,, like a picture tutorial... set by step i have color pages...

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Laura working with tissue paper is fine, even long arm quilters do this. There is a paper product from Golden Threads that is a tracing paper for quilting.

To do free motion quilting on a domestic machine you just need to be able to lower or cover your feed dogs and have a darning foot or similar for your machine. Even the darning foot is not essential, you can do it by having no foot attached but this leaves the needle exposed and is a little more dangerous.

Check out this site, http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...on-filler.html , Leah Day is one very talented lady and all her work is on a domestic machine. The limitation of domestic over long arm is the size/scale of the design you can manage, but good results are very achievable at home if you are not able to afford to have your quilting done professionally or want the quilt to be all your own work, which is very important for some people.
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This link takes you more directly to the quilting page: http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.