Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Selling on Ebay

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Selling on Ebay

Has anyone ever sold a sewing machine on ebay?? I have a Bernina 440 to sell and tried craigslist, but that doesn't seem to be working. I need some advise please.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Selling on Ebay

If you have a Bernina dealer near you then contact them. They often buy, sell, trade and do consignments.
    Happy Quilting!

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Best advice I can give you is research completed listings and find what your model has sold for in the past. Green is sold, red is not sold. Remember e-bay charges listing fees, final value fees and pay pal also charges. Make sure your shipping weight is accurate, so this will include box and packaging. Just did a quick peek and it looks like they sell well. Good luck.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A good friend of mine told me that there is a "Kelley Blue Book" value for Berninas. I don't know that it's the actual KBB company, but a Bernina dealer will be able to help you determine the value.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fallisme View Post
    Has anyone ever sold a sewing machine on ebay?? I have a Bernina 440 to sell and tried craigslist, but that doesn't seem to be working. I need some advise please.
    I have sold a couple sewing machines on Ebay. They charge you a listing fee and if it sells they charge you a final value fee. Paypal also charges the seller a fee but its not as much as Ebay charges. Beware that if you sell your machine on Ebay that the buyer has 30 to 45 days to return the machine even if they just decide they don't want it anymore(they call it buyers remorse) even if you state in the listing "no returns" and Ebay will make you return the full amount to the buyer including shipping costs. Ebay will refund you your final value fee. I've never had this problem with a buyer but I have had to go thru this process when I purchased a machine that came with a defective embroidery unit. You can go on Ebay and look up your machine and see what its been selling for depending on what you're including with your machine.
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I sold a Singer 99 and lost so much money due to shipping. I weighed it on my dr. scales and measured it and put all that in the form on ebay and it gave a price of something like $27, but when I took it to be professionally boxed and then shipped the cheapest way, it cost me $60. I ended up losing money big time. Made me sick. The only good thing was I bought it for $100, had it cleaned for $79 and sold it for $75 and included 25 bobbins, 2 sewing oils and the woman wrote me and said she loved it and it sewed beautifully. That took the sting out of the huge loss I took. I never liked it and didn't use it and my husband bought me a Singer 401 this Christmas, so I'm happy and I made that woman happy and she has no idea how much money I lost on that transaction. I guess it wasn't about the money - it was about finding the right home for the sewing machine and I did it!
    Jeanne from the foothills of NE Oregon

If you're going to walk on water, you're going to walk all over me.

Remember! Your instincts are more important than any rules!!

The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness -
    You have to catch it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

7. Thanks liseypea thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry Craig's List didn't get you any buyers. I have never sold on Ebay. I did buy 2,000 red worms on Ebay once. I tried to raise them for fishing, but they were just too small. I had them in a box in my sewing room. I told my cleaning lady what they were, and she promised not to Windex them.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Binding Belle

Middle Grove, NY which is near Saratoga Springs, NY
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi - I sell things on Ebay but the shipping is going to be very high for a heavy item such as a sewing machine. I would do the Bernina shop myself. Good Luck!!