Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why is shipping so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    I don't get it either, Denis.
    Well Monique, that's why I'm opening up my own shop in Renfrew hopefully by March or April. It will eventually have every thing short of fabric on bolts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those prices are highway robbery!!! That is awful to almost pay half of want the merchandise costs for shipping.

2013 = God's continued grace, healthy friends and family, and many wonderful sewing projects
    Jeanette

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Back in June I placed a big order with MSQC, and at the time loved the shipping deal because it was $15 flat rate or free over (I think) $150. My order was a little over $200, and I paid no shipping, just taxes when it crossed the border. Was so excited at the awesome deal I got that I've been building my wishlist ever since and wanted to make up my mind on some fabric for a quilt for me before I placed my order. Finally made up my mind, order totaled over $400, and was super excited to get it placed and on it's way to me when the website changes began. So I've been waiting out the upgrade tangles, but now the shipping is no longer free

I can see why they've done it, but I've had to trim my list down significantly so I'm not spending an arm and a leg in shipping. It used to be cheaper to order through M* than to buy locally, but sadly that has changed Most stores are charging an arm and a leg for shipping, and it's really bad for those of us living on islands because, as is the nature of an island, you generally don't get the selection you do on the mainland so you have to either settle or pay a small fortune. Just sad.
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poppytree View Post
    I only wish it was 'tongue in cheek' but if I had placed an order recently for Daily Deal 99c and jelly roll around $20 if you see what my last few orders cost it would have been DOUBLE! UK postage is expensive but still about $30 - $40 maximum for a much larger box

small order with FREE SHIPPING as daily deal
    Order Subtotal$53.85Shipping$18.50

Order Subtotal$33.85Shipping$43.80

Order Subtotal$100.43Shipping$56.25

Order Subtotal$121.50Shipping$52.10
    Also - UK orders arrive in 7 - 10 days. From the USA .............. 20 - 30 days. If it came by 'express service' I would expect to pay a higher shipping charge but 30 days? - no way!

I would be happy to pay a lower rate and wait a month for my order but begrudge paying high charges and still have to wait so long
    Last edited by Poppytree; January 17th, 2013 at 12:29 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poppytree View Post
    Also - UK orders arrive in 7 - 10 days. From the USA .............. 20 - 30 days. If it came by 'express service' I would expect to pay a higher shipping charge but 30 days? - no way!

I would be happy to pay a lower rate and wait a month for my order but begrudge paying high charges and still have to wait so long
    A lot of times packages take 3 weeks to get here from the US Yet we can ship down from Canada and it usually takes two. Not sure which side of the border the slowpokes are on lol
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Its probably Australian customs (I can track the first part of the journey) but they don't take nearly as long with goods shipped from the UK - strange that!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's definitely weird. I know that once it leaves the US (provided it's shipped with USPS) I can track it with Canada Post once it crosses the border. Not sure if your post office does the same? I've never had anything shipped from another country (other than Japan and China, but then I used a courier) so I'm not sure what it's like shipping between Canada and anywhere outside North America.
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Placed a large order today and was and relieved to see shipping cost was around $40 instead of $50+ I was expecting. Its still a bit cheaper than buying here though and hopefully I'll get it by the end of February! I used a load of points to bring the total down to 4000 points covers the tax!
    Last edited by Poppytree; January 21st, 2013 at 07:07 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    I would have like to order the new bookazine but shipping would be $32.95 for a total of $52.04.
    I was just at the Post Office this week, and I noticed that flat rate shipping to Canada was posted as US$32.95. I remembered your post, and realized that it's the United States government causing this and not M*QC ! That is an extraoridnarily high shipping fee for a 9x12" box.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I somehow doubt this is accurate:

Points Earned
    107 Points
    Subtotal
    $36.45
    Tax
    $0.00
    Shipping
    $59.95
    Total
    $96.40

Sorry, but that's CRAZY. I really enjoyed ordering here, but it seems I cannot anymore, my fiance would kill me, and he is right :E Perhaps I will consider a US-mailing service, that seems to be a lot cheaper, even if you have to pay monthly fees!!

A very disappointed customer