Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick Turn Quilt

I need a baby quilt quick, quick, quick! Like this Wednesday night is the baby shower quick!

I've never made a quilt with the quick turn method but I'm thinking that doing that and then tying the quilt will be the quickest way to accomplish my mission.

Has anyone made a quick turn and tie quilt? How did it turn out? Do the results still look professional or at least still very, very nice?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quick Turn Quilt

I would go with Jenny's self-binding quilt (not sure if that's what you mean by the quick turn method). I haven't made one, but I know a few here have so they should be able to give any tips if needed. You can do it!!
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean and have done this before but didn't know the term birthing until someone mentioned it and I had to look it up. Here is a really quick tut on it.

http://www.hgtv.com/video/birthing-a...deo/index.html

Lorie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I know what you mean and have done this before but didn't know the term birthing until someone mentioned it and I had to look it up. Here is a really quick tut on it.

http://www.hgtv.com/video/birthing-a...deo/index.html
    Yes, this is what I meant. How did the quilt look? Was it professional looking still?

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

You could still make a simple top and use this method. Jenny's tut for baby charm quilt for this would be sew easy. Just sew charms together in rows (42 charm pack would be 6 x 7 charms) Add a border, easy peasy. Then you could tie at each intersection. I think it would look great, and make a wonderful gift.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think the trick to it is to cut your allowences staggered. Cut your batting very close to the seam and the fabrics staggered after that. It makes for less bulk. Then on the corners clip them across. Turn and iron reall well to get a crisp edge and do the seam around like the tut suggested. maybe two to make it part of the design.

I hope that helped. i know what it feells like to be in a hurry. My daughter's birthday quilt is sitting on my table. lol

Lorie

7. Thanks annoxyer thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What auntimern is suggesting is great too. You don't have to quilt the top just tie it. I think It depends if you want to do binding or not. I'm going to buy a book that is called borderless quilts. I'm liking not to have to put borders more. Just skip that part.

Lorie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I think the trick to it is to cut your allowences staggered. Cut your batting very close to the seam and the fabrics staggered after that. It makes for less bulk. Then on the corners clip them across. Turn and iron reall well to get a crisp edge and do the seam around like the tut suggested. maybe two to make it part of the design.

I hope that helped. i know what it feells like to be in a hurry. My daughter's birthday quilt is sitting on my table. lol
    Thank you for the suggestions!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made many quilts like that. Tying it would probably be ok. The problem with them is the backing. If I remember right you cut the backing 1/2 inch all the way around smaller then the top for it to be taught. It could be 1/4 I don't remember but if your tying it should be fine either way. The reason your doing smaller is because the batting sticks to the top when you flip the backing you don't have the bulk of the top plus batting so it can be really loose if you just lay the pieces together and cut. I hope I'm making sense. As far as professional I think that's in the eye of the beholder, I love handmade everything. I love getting something someone cant go pick up at the store. Happy quilting!!
    Last edited by Momofmonsters5; January 14th, 2013 at 03:05 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I found this tut and it had a couple of tips. She quilted the top after turning and it looks really nice.

http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2011/...-tutorial.html

Lorie

12. Thanks annoxyer thanked for this post