Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Those with bad knees...

how are your workstations set up? I just went through Maggie's mom's thread and have watched every single one of Jenny's Video, and DEVOURED the pics of Sewbee's room (bowing, bowing, bowing) and wondered if any of you have bad knees and how you manage? I saw some interesting ideas in Maggie'sMom's room thread but have some other questions.

I have arthritis in my left knee and somewhat in my right knee and hip. I need a new knee but at 46 they tell me I am too young! (nice to hear THAT but not under the greatest of circumstances). You all posted awesome pics of your work spaces when I first started, but I see a lot of quilts being pieced on people's floors and standing for cutting.

It's difficult for me to get up and down all the time but my table isn't quite low enough to facilitate accurate cutting of longer fabrics accurately. Standing for any length of time is not really an option (unless I want to live on percocet!) I'm considering having my DH make a lower table on wheel's for cutting that I can put out of the way. I already have my ironing board next to me at a lowered height but wish it was a bit shorter (as in length not height) as it really interferes with the room, but I think it might be time to re-do my space and make it into an actual craft room. I'd love to hear from those of you that struggle with arthritis as I do and how you manage.

Wendy

2. Thanks RockyMountainHorseMama thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Those with bad knees...

Oh Wendy, I SO know your pain! The description of your symptoms is almost identical to mine, weird! Except I don't have it in my hip(s), yet and I hope I never do?! My grandmother had both replaced and I have always prayed that I don't have to go through that. I had an arthroscopy this past August to repair a double torn meniscus, some damage to the ACL and cleaning up of the arthritis on that left knee and still hobble around. AND, that knee of mine is also the best weather indicator there IS! It is FAR more reliable than the local Weather Man!

I will be very interested and follow this thread to see what folks have to say coz like you, I need something easier on me than the constant getting up and down. Also, I'm going to have fun looking at everyones spaces, love that!

Even though I look 35, my body reminds me that I am 51!

Have a Funn day and looking forward to the replies to this post! Mahalo a nui loa (thank you very much) for this post.
    *HUGS* and Alohas, Bridgette

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog
    http://hapamomquilts.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have RA, along with lupus and fibromyalgia. I just can't get on the floor to do anything. I do my cutting at my island which is the perfect height for me. I use a tray table next to my sewing machine table to iron as I build blocks. Like I tell my DD, my legs only have so many ups and downs in a day, before I become totally un-functional, and can't get up without help from DH. I currently need to sandwich 2 twin quilts for GD's birthdays, and not really sure how I am going to go about it. I think I can use the dining table to spray baste them. Good luck with the bad knees, I can totally relate.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've not been diagnosed with arthritis yet (I'm 49), but my knees do get sore and sort of "lock up" and get stiff when I'm crawling on the floor. Not sure if that is arthritis or not.

I have a large sewing room...about 3/4 of our full basement. (I'm very lucky to have a lot of room.) I had hubby make me a large design wall. It is about queen size, and I do all my spray basting and sandwiching on the wall. It works really great. My only regret is that I didn't have him make the frame for the design wall a bit larger, it would be nice to have a king sized design wall. LOL. Oh well.

Gayle

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I have osteoarthritis as well and went thru all those Docs saying I was too young to get a new knee. I had two scopes within 8 years of each other (not that helpful). Finally at the age of 54 I got the darn thing replaced after wearing a brace for 2 years. That rule is ridiculous, what kind of quality of life can you have. I know all the arguments because I am a nurse, but my new knee is the best thing that ever happened to me, and now tomorrow a new shoulder I have a king size bed that I pin my backing down to and then finish sandwiching my quilt on. I work from the end of the bed first then unpin the backing from the end and roll it over toward the end so it will be easier to reach and finish securing from that side. That is the best solution I can come up with for my self, maybe you could try it and see if it will work for you.

7. Thanks RockyMountainHorseMama thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I will be watching this thread for ideas too. I've had both knees replaced, and very happy with my new knees, but it still hard to crawl around on the floor. Would love to have a design wall. I think I will try the fannel backed table cloth I saw in another thread.
    Sherry

9. Thanks RockyMountainHorseMama thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
    I've not been diagnosed with arthritis yet (I'm 49), but my knees do get sore and sort of "lock up" and get stiff when I'm crawling on the floor. Not sure if that is arthritis or not.

Gayle
    Believe me...if you had arthritis you would KNOW you had it. It is NOT fun. If you carry extra weight all I can say is do everything you possibly can to get rid of it while you still have the use of your knees because once you lose that, it's almost impossible. Arthritis is incredibly painful, you'll know. I live on Advil and sometimes percocet.

You are very lucky to have such a large space! That's awesome!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Kathy View Post
    I have osteoarthritis as well and went thru all those Docs saying I was too young to get a new knee. I had two scopes within 8 years of each other (not that helpful). Finally at the age of 54 I got the darn thing replaced after wearing a brace for 2 years. That rule is ridiculous, what kind of quality of life can you have. I know all the arguments because I am a nurse, but my new knee is the best thing that ever happened to me, and now tomorrow a new shoulder I have a king size bed that I pin my backing down to and then finish sandwiching my quilt on. I work from the end of the bed first then unpin the backing from the end and roll it over toward the end so it will be easier to reach and finish securing from that side. That is the best solution I can come up with for my self, maybe you could try it and see if it will work for you.
    Yeah...that's the argument I tried with my surgeon also...what kind of quality of life do I have now when I'm young enough to be able to do things! AND I have a 10 year old son! We were going to take our first warm-weather trip ever this winter and I just let it go because what's the point? I can't walk any distance at all before I'm in agony...how am I going to enjoy that?? I guess i need to push for it...but his argument is if I get it done now I'll need it done again and the results and healing time won't be as good. My reply is by then I won't give a ****! LOL! sigh. For now I muddle through but I'd like to not aggravate it with quilting so am grateful for your idea of using my big bed! Thanks!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have arthritis in both knees now .
    Started in one knee while working on my daughters chickens farm
    I was outside letting all the hens into the meadow when i caught my foot in a hole and went down onto my right knee very hard and onto some large pebbles ( the chickens started to peck me ! ) I had to sit there until someone realised i was missing ! I had many a bonding moment with the hens while sitting there in chicken poop and pebbles
    Because i ignored the damaged knee and didnt get it seen to , i now have arthritis and my cartilage is almost gone .
    Leaning heavily on the good knee over the years has also damaged that one and its very sore now .
    I only have a tiny space set up in a corner of my bedroom at the moment so i dont have far to hobble to get to the bed ! yeahhh !!
    I will be taking over the dining room in the next month so will get some pics before and after ..
    Standing up after sitting sewing is sore and i have to stay still for a good minute before i can make my legs move ..
    Getting old is the pits ! Im only 50 but my knees are 100 !
    Mindy
    xx

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can totally sympathize with your situation. I too have arthritis, hips, back, knees but I'm 15years older than you. I'm OK when I'm at the machine (which I use on my dining room table) although after a time my hip starts to ache with using the foot pedal, luckily my machine can be used without it but I don't like it as much. Cutting and bending over is a problem for me, I'm worried about sitting to cut fabric with the rotary cutter because I don't have as much control over it. Like you say I think a lower table might be the answer to that. I haven't done a large quilt yet which has to be put together on the floor and am not sure I'll be able to manage that, I might have to get my husband or younger daughter to do it for me and I'll just bark out the orders! I'm sure there'll be lots of people who can advise you better who have lovely sewing rooms and I hope that you, like me, have more good days than bad. England is very cold and damp at the moment - the worst enemy of arthritis.