Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a non-traditional quilt pattern, hexagon or kooky maybe.

Hello All!

I just joined and will get right down to business! I did a quick search to make sure that I'm not being repetitive but, didn't find what I was looking for.... so I guess what I'm doing is truly unique. I'm casting a wide net for this question across the web as well.

I want to make a quilt for a California King size bed. The twist? I want to to be an overall non-traditional shape. No squares or rectangles. Another twist? I've only made one quilt before but, I will have help getting the back and binding on. And I don't really want to buy a whole lot of equipment to complete this (money honey).

I don't mind if it's not really functional. I'm making it as a gift for my husband who I have been separated from for a year because we're going through the immigration process. So, if there's a way I can fit something Indian on the quilt, that would be nice too... I might just do it in the colors though.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, I've found this quilt on someone's blog: http://seamstresserin.blogspot.com/2...s-quilted.html

I want this, but kookier.

Thanks for reading my life story. Haha!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a non-traditional quilt pattern, hexagon or kooky maybe.

Welcome! So glad you've joined us, and I'm sure you'll like it here.

That is one very unique quilt you've found. Something you could do would be to get the large half-hexi template from M*QC, then use layer cakes to make your hexagons. Large blocks will make the quilt go faster and will more easily cover more ground so it can fit a California Queen more economically. Another way to make fabric go farther is sashing. A little bit of sashing makes a quilt go quickly!

Hopefully you'll be able to get through the immigration red tape quickly and be reunited with your husband soon.
    Meli
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a non-traditional quilt pattern, hexagon or kooky maybe.

I think this is perfect for you. It has a tutorial on making the top and all other tutorials on finishing. I hope this helps.

http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/2010/03...plies.html?m=1

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by jingleme; January 6th, 2013 at 05:57 PM.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

If you want something unquie I would suggest taking a piece of paper and design the quilt yourself otherwise it will always be a copy of some ones else's design.

Think about what colours your husband likes, ask him what colour reminds him of yourself.

Have a think on what reminds you of India an pick one or two things ie the bright colours, temples, wild life ie monkeys and elphants or
    why not use the traditional Indian method of quilting?

Just some thoughts to get you started

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have any ideas, just wanted to say welcome!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have this hexagon quilt on my "to do" list. It is from Amy Butler http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/pdfs/...Love_Quilt.pdf

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ladies! Thanks for the many suggestions and well wishes! It's much appreciated and makes me feel really welcome.

Whatever I end up doing, I will be sure to post photos. I expect to be done around March (that's when he gets here). One thing is for sure, with all your suggestions, I am not at a loss of busy work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any suggestions either, heck I haven't ventured from squares and rectangles just yet but I too wanted to say hello and welcome!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would probably not want to venture into true hexagons with set-in seams if this was only to be my second quilt.
    If you are set on Hexagons, I would recommend the half-hexi ruler by MSQ.
    If you really want to go non-traditional and incorporate Indian flare, I would recommend a crazy quilt with indian fabrics.
    You can use any kind of fabric in a crazy quilt, not just cotton. The cheapest way would be to go to several thrift shops and find some second hand clothes - maybe even some with some beadwork or embroidery already on them that could be used.
    Crazy quilts are easiest if you randomly piece the fabrics and then cut them into 12 or 14 inch squares, then sew the squares together. There is a pic of one I made using silks, damasks, chenilles, etc for my kids' school auction. I even accented it with inexpensive trim remnants for extra fun!
    Happy Quilting!